Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default 9mm carbines. mp5 style or similar?

I'm looking for a 9mm carbine that is lightweight, reliable, and accurate at modest ranges. I have no idea what the max effective range for 9x19 para is, but say 75-100 yards for engaging a point target? I'm looking for a fun shooter that would share the same ammo is my sidearm in the unlikely shtf scenario.

(Lackawanna County)

Hi-Point makes a 9mm carbine, haven't heard any bad reviews.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: 9mm carbines. mp5 style or similar?

There are several companies that make 9mm uppers for the AR-15 platform. If you already own one (an AR that is), it might be a less expensive way to get a quality pistol carbine (you could, of course, also purchase a whole new rifle). Beretta also makes a nice little 9mm carbine as does kel tec.

The real problem is this... in a real SHTF situation... or really in any situation that may involve you being shot at / returning fire... a pistol cal carbine is almost NEVER better than a rifle. Honestly, the only advantage I see is that it makes ammo logistics easier (IE: only one cal to manage). Having an actual rifle cal carbine with the ballistics that come with a rifle cal cartridge far outweigh the added time / money / etc... required to stock and carry two different bullets.

Bottom line: If you are ever in a situation where you say "gee it would be a good idea to carry a rifle in addition to the pistol I always carry"... carry a RIFLE...

BTW: I've shot the beretta carbine in 9mm at the local range. It was a hoot to shoot. But in all honesty... It's not better than my AR at anything... and it's more expensive to shoot than an MP-15/22, 10/22, sig 522, etc... it has little practical purpose... Would I buy one... naah... but I'll shoot a few boxes of ammo through someone elses if its offered... and yeah I'll buy the ammo!

Note... there might be some utility if we are talking suppressed SBR type weapons... but I assume that we aren't... really without being fully automatic... a pistol cal carbine / sub gun is pretty pointless in my oppinion (and I have to state this again... this is my oppinion only!)

The ballistics of a 9mm caliber carbine will never match any rifle round. They will match the ballistics of a submachine gun however 9you only gain 100-200 fps over a pistol). Most would agree that a MP5 would be effective at 100 yds. If you go to an AR upper you might as well carry an AR IMO. However, a Hi Point is a lot lighter than an AR (as most 9mm carbines are) and when we say effective range we are not talking only ballistics but the ability to hit the target. I shoot 3-4" groups with a Hi Point, Marlin, Ruger or Beretta 9mm carbine with just about any load. This matches my accuracy with a MP5 on semi (not mine but the agency I retired from). These points I have brought up may put a 9mm carbine in a different light.

I like the Hi Point. It's does everything any of the others do and to my experience is durable enough for the average shooter. If you want to share magazines or want more than 10 rds you have to look at the others.

(Philadelphia County)

I picked up a Beretta CX4. Don't have a lot of practical experience with it yet but so far I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Hi-point

or just get an UZI

200 yd shots with a 9mm carbine are a breeze and it still packs enough punch that I wouldnt want to be on the receiving end.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel.seacat View Post
    I'm looking for a fun shooter that would share the same ammo is my sidearm in the unlikely shtf scenario.
    What side arm is it? Glock or Beretta and you can get a carbine that shares mags too.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PSUfan1 View Post
    There are several companies that make 9mm uppers for the AR-15 platform. If you already own one (an AR that is), it might be a less expensive way to get a quality pistol carbine (you could, of course, also purchase a whole new rifle). Beretta also makes a nice little 9mm carbine as does kel tec.

The real problem is this... in a real SHTF situation... or really in any situation that may involve you being shot at / returning fire... a pistol cal carbine is almost NEVER better than a rifle. Honestly, the only advantage I see is that it makes ammo logistics easier (IE: only one cal to manage). Having an actual rifle cal carbine with the ballistics that come with a rifle cal cartridge far outweigh the added time / money / etc... required to stock and carry two different bullets.

Bottom line: If you are ever in a situation where you say "gee it would be a good idea to carry a rifle in addition to the pistol I always carry"... carry a RIFLE...

BTW: I've shot the beretta carbine in 9mm at the local range. It was a hoot to shoot. But in all honesty... It's not better than my AR at anything... and it's more expensive to shoot than an MP-15/22, 10/22, sig 522, etc... it has little practical purpose... Would I buy one... naah... but I'll shoot a few boxes of ammo through someone elses if its offered... and yeah I'll buy the ammo!

Note... there might be some utility if we are talking suppressed SBR type weapons... but I assume that we aren't... really without being fully automatic... a pistol cal carbine / sub gun is pretty pointless in my oppinion (and I have to state this again... this is my oppinion only!)
    Very much valid points here.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
    What side arm is it? Glock or Beretta and you can get a carbine that shares mags too.
    Yes, if you're thinking "Hi-Point", rethink it and get a Kel Tec Sub 2000 that takes 33 rd Glock mags! A ten round carbine is as useless as tits on a bull for real OR imaginary SHTF.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post
    200 yd shots with a 9mm carbine are a breeze and it still packs enough punch that I wouldnt want to be on the receiving end.
    The receiving end would sux! LOL

(Philadelphia County)

Well right now I've got a sig*sauer p250 but I would love to add a m+p9c.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast