Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New PA drivers license, old FL CWP

I just moved to Philadelphia in august for graduate school and I have run into a bit of a conundrum. I just got my PA drivers license and now I’m concerned my FL CWP is no longer valid. Of course they holed up my FL driver’s license and I’m worried the FL CWP is only valid as long as the FL DL is valid. I understand the reciprocity of the FL CWP but my concern is more about any linkage to a current Florida residency or FL DL.

I have perused through the PA statues in the reference library but I have come across nothing conclusive. The only thing of some value that I have found is this:

What are the changes regarding reciprocity with Florida. It was suggested that only State Residents of Florida would receive reciprocal privileges?
    Note: It has come to the attention of the Office of Attorney General that there has been confusion over the applicability of Pennsylvania's reciprocal privileges with regard to the residency status of an individual who has been issued a valid license/permit. It is the position of the Office of Attorney General that recognition within Pennsylvania is based on the issuance to an individual of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence.

I’m interpreting that as: my FL CWP is still valid even though I no longer have residence in Florida and can only present my PA DL as my residency status. So I guess the only real question is, is the FL CWP linked to the former FL DL and/or the address in FL (BTW, the address on the FL CWP and former FL DL is my current parents address)

What are your thoughts?

Another brick in this mess is that according to (appropriate) university standards, I am still technically a Florida resident even though I have PA address and PA DL.
    Last edited by SopChoppy; November 19th, 2010 at 08:36 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: New PA drivers license, old FL CWP

Quote Originally Posted by SopChoppy View Post
    I just moved to Philadelphia in august for graduate school and I have run into a bit of a conundrum. I just got my PA drivers license and now I’m concerned my FL CWP is no longer valid. Of course they holed up my FL driver’s license and I’m worried the FL CWP is only valid as long as the FL DL is valid. I understand the reciprocity of the FL CWP but my concern is more about any linkage to a current Florida residency or FL DL.

I have perused through the PA statues in the reference library but I have come across nothing conclusive. The only thing of some value that I have found is this:

I’m interpreting that as: my FL CWP is still valid even though I no longer have residence in Florida and can only present my PA DL as my residency status. So I guess the only real question is, is the FL CWP linked to the former FL DL and/or the address in FL (BTW, the address on the FL CWP and former FL DL is my current parents address)

What are your thoughts?

Another bick in this mess is that according to university standards, I am still technically a Florida resident even though I have PA residence and PA DL.
    Your FL license is still good...they issue to non-residents all the time.

(York County)

Why don't you contact the Florida authority that issued your Florida CWP, and make them aware of your change of address?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Delaware County)

Go get a pa non-residents LTCF since you are a Florida resident and have a Florida resident cwp you will get a PA. non-residents with no problem

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by fats429 View Post
    Go get a pa non-residents LTCF since you are a Florida resident and have a Florida resident cwp you will get a PA. non-residents with no problem
    He's got a PA driver's license....he'll get a resident LTCF.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by fats429 View Post

I don't believe that's going to work. For ID, it appears his PA driver's license is all he has, and I don't see any Sheriff providing a non-res LTCF to someone with a PA DL. He said his Florida license was "holed", indicating to me it was hit with a hole-punch to invalidate it.

He could now get a PA LTCF as a resident.

Edit: Oof, too slow.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Curmudgeon:
    I wanted to run it by you guys first since I am not yet familiar with the in's and out's of PA's laws yet.

Fats429:
    As curmudgeon said, my FL DL is no longer valid (I'm pretty sure, after all, isn't that the whole point of hole punching the thing) so how am I to get an OOS permit with no OOS DL? But either way I was just curious to see if I really even needed to get a PA CWP (not if i need a resident vs non-resident PA permit)
    Last edited by SopChoppy; November 19th, 2010 at 09:03 PM.

(Delaware County)

Ok get a resident LTCF. Welcome to my Commonwealth I am glad to have another 2A enthusiast with us

PA has only one License To Carry Firearms. There are not two separate ones for residents and non-residents. It is the same license, only, of course, the one that a non-resident gets will have a different state for the person's address

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    PA has only one License To Carry Firearms. There are not two separate ones for residents and non-residents. It is the same license, only, of course, the one that a non-resident gets will have a different state for the person's address

Ah...understood. However, my question is if I even need a PA LTCF since I still have a valid FL CWP.

Either way, I figure I'm just going to go ahead and get the PA LTCF so I can experience this strange, "open carry" thing you speak of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast