Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default 879-pound bear bagged in Poconos

I'm surprised no one else posted this here yet.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc.../NEWS/11190341

November 19, 2010 The heaviest black bear ever recorded in Pennsylvania was shot and killed by a bow hunter just north of Fernwood Resort in Pike County on Monday.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission confirmed that David Price of Barrett Township killed the 17-year-old bruin, which had an estimated live weight of 879 pounds. The bear had a field-dressed weight of 744 pounds.

Related Stories
    Commission says record-breaking bear kill was OKPrice's bear was 15 pounds heavier than the state's previous record holder, a 864-pound bear killed by Doug Kristiansen of Dingman Township in 2003. That bear was also shot in Pike County.

"This bear could be No. 1 in the world," game commission spokesman Tim Conway said of Price's bear.

The world record is determined by skull size. After 60 days, the bear's skull will be measured to determine where it will stand in the record books. The world record skull is more than 23 inches wide, Conway said.

Attempts to reach Price on Thursday were unsuccessful.

Every year bears killed in Pennsylvania are entered into the Boone and Crocket rifle record books. Bears that have a skull measurement of 20 inches or greater are eligible.

This bear is unique and will be remembered because it was killed during Pennsylvania's first statewide archery hunt and could be ranked as high as No. 1 in the Pope and Young archery records.

Since 1992, six bears weighing at least 800 pounds have been killed in Pennsylvania.

Price's bear was known to game officers in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania. It was captured and tagged in New Jersey, but never in Pennsylvania, Conway said.
    That is ENORMOUS!!!!!!!!

Apparently, some of the locals complained about the kill but, the PGC cleared it as an OK kill. That actually makes me glad that the guy actually "hunted" it instead of baiting it in. IMO, that's quite an accomplishment.

In all honesty, I couldn't see myself shooting that monstrosity. Firstly, something that successful should stay in the gene pool for breeding stock. Secondly, I don't trophy hunt so, what am I gonna do with 600lbs of bear meat? Thirdly, I always hunt solo so there wouldn't be any way in the world I could get a dinosaur like that out of the woods.

It's nice to know that we still have enough habitat around to support animals like this. Excluding it's being fed by "Leroy" that is.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...119760/-1/news

I'm hoping I meet up with one tomorrow that will fit on a nice keiser roll.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Berks County)

Default Re: 879-pound bear bagged in Poconos

Holly shhhhhh_tttt

(Wayne County)

No bobo bear there. I hope I see one that large tommorrow.

(Allegheny County)

How does bear taste? I LOVE elk but I dont know that I could ever use 600lbs of meat.

(Perry County)

WOW!

Bow hunter David Price bagged a 17-year-old black bear weighing 879 pounds the largest bear ever recorded in Pennsylvania near Fernwood Resort on Monday.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    No bobo bear there. I hope I see one that large tommorrow.
    Good luck with it. My neighbor hunts over your way. He's been seeing a lot of bear movement during archery deer season. Let's just hope they don't shut down on us. It's been nice and warm out. They should still be active. Plus, I hear it's a good acorn year over that way also.

You can keep the big ones. I want one that says "somone's still sleeping in my bed."

(Monroe County)

awww man! That looks like "Bruno", the bear that used to frequent my Grandfather's compost pit. That sucker was huge with the same white spot.

(Monroe County)

Yeah wow that is a huge black bear! His weight rivals that of a grizzly.

And to the comments about 600 pounds of meat...well not exactly. There is quite a bit of bone and fat. So tallow from the fat and the bones I guess can be used as some sort of fertilizer. Of course a nice rug from the pelt too.

I just think you gotta be a little crazy to go after bruin like that with a sharp pointy stick!!!

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle H View Post
    How does bear taste? I LOVE elk but I dont know that I could ever use 600lbs of meat.
    I've had good and bad. From talking to a friend whose family revere's bear season over any other time of year, a lot of it has to do w/ how you butcher it. It's very fatty meat and the fat turns rancid easily. So, a lot of attention has to go into cutting as much fat as possible out.

He tried to make jerkey out of bear meat once and said it was the most G*d-awful thing he's ever eaten.

Doesn't taste anything like elk would.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I've had good and bad. From talking to a friend whose family revere's bear season over any other time of year, a lot of it has to do w/ how you butcher it. It's very fatty meat and the fat turns rancid easily. So, a lot of attention has to go into cutting as much fat as possible out.

He tried to make jerkey out of bear meat once and said it was the most G*d-awful thing he's ever eaten.

Doesn't taste anything like elk would.
    But the burgers...when cut with crushed red peppers....are phenomenal!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast