Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Mossburg 590 Extras

Gotta say again how great of a site this is, lots of activity, covers it all & best of all its all Keystoners

I own a 590, even though is a tough as nails beast of a shottie - considering selling it due to it being next to worthless in the woods hunting game.

Maybe hit 1/2 what im trying to kill - distance = negative.

From what I could find is they dont make a choke for it ?

Its got the ghost rings & bayonet which makes it a great SHTF choice but not good at all for providing dinner & thats unacceptable IMO.

Im hoping you guys know of a choke setup so I can make the decision to keep it & add a surefire, pistol grip, knoxx stock & hopefully someone will easily convince me an optic is a good idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUK1IY9ZAT4&NR=1

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Mossburg 590 Extras

For the first part, I am going to tell you two contradictory things.

1) Learn to shoot the 590 well. I started shooting trap with my 20" 590. When I did my part, I could shoot 80-90%. IMHO this is a damn good way to train.

2) Buy a 500 combo for around $300 OTD on sale at Dicks or Cabela's if you want to hunt. You'll end up with a second, better suited, gun for a little more than what you would put into making the 590 into a hunter.

That said:

I bought a 500 combo for myself.

There are 590 barrels out there with screw chokes. They are rare, and I am not aware of any new ones available. I got mine (20" w/ the ghost ring blade) several years ago from http://www.havlinsales.com/, but they sold out shortly after.

Now I am now running the 590A1 SPX (http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=26) with a Knoxx Spec-Ops Recoil-Reducing stock.

I've added (and thoroughly recommend if you are running a pistol-grip stock) an extended safety. I am using the Hahn Precision with a protective sight rail (http://hahn-precision.com/M590A1-Saf...l-MPSR1104.htm) but there is also a similar stand-alone one (http://www.cavalrymanufacturing.com/SST-590-S.html).

I am using a Bushnell Fast Fire II (http://www.burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html) red dot and like it so far.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Bucks County)

What distances are you trying to shoot at?

I would like to send mine (590A1) out to have it fitted for chokes and some other mods, but in stock form with the GRS I can hit what Im shooting at within reason.

(Jefferson County)

My comment about the 590 being next to worthless in the woods was a bit harsh, I take it back..

Obviously its not a squirrel gun & not made for distance shooting.

Mine has taken out a fair share of small & large game birds but let me down about 1/2 the time when the range gets up there which is totally understandable (not really able to say roughly how far).

Need to test it properly at a range with some different ammo.

It would be killer to find a quick change choke for it so it could pull double duty as a hunter & crowd buster though.

RaisedByWolves
    : So the barrel can be modded ? If so can that be easily removed so that "special loads" can still be used ?

Im going to have to weigh out my options to see if I can make it work or switch it out.

My SHTF plan calls for eating critters

JD Any pics of that beast ? Sounds alot like what im going for.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Generation X View Post
    [snip]
    It would be killer to find a quick change choke for it so it could pull double duty as a hunter & crowd buster though.

RaisedByWolves
    : So the barrel can be modded ? If so can that be easily removed so that "special loads" can still be used ?

Im going to have to weigh out my options to see if I can make it work or switch it out.

JD Any pics of that beast ? Sounds alot like what im going for.
    You can have a screw-in choke installed in most barrels. Going rate mail-order seems to be $85 + whatever choke tubes you want (For ref: http://www.americhoke.com/ & http://www.shotgunchokes.com/pricing.html)

Of course, by the time you are done with shipping and a few choke tubes, you are more than halfway to a Mossy 500 Package which comes with 3 chokes for the smooth-bore bbl. + the rifled barrel.

Sorry, no picks of my 590 setup at this point.
    ETA: but it started as this:
    Last edited by -JD-; November 17th, 2010 at 12:33 PM.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Montgomery County)

I'd like to find this sort of shotgun (my use would be primarily Home Defense) chambered for 20 gauge, which would be more manageable for my wife. Does something like this exist?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Traveler View Post
    I'd like to find this sort of shotgun (my use would be primarily Home Defense) chambered for 20 gauge, which would be more manageable for my wife. Does something like this exist?
    Most "Tactical/HD" shotguns are 12ga.

Mossberg offers a pretty basic Model 500 20ga pump in both field and home defense versions like this one #50452:

or this one #50145:

I am not sure what fitting issues might be encountered using the typical (12ga) buttstocks on a 20ga. Forends are definitely gauge-specific (and generation-specific)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Traveler View Post

You should be able to find what you like from Mossberg or buy a stock gun and add the furniture of your choice. JD's idea is are also good.

RaisedByWolves

Yep, you can mod them as mentioned or pick up a spare barrel and have a Home made 2in1 setup. Theres a guy on Shotgunworld who does good work cheap, IIRC $60 for adding chokes or lengthening forcing cones.

As far as your take on it as a woods gun, your right and wrong. In stock form its not much good for birds or small game. If however you have a honey spot with thick brush, its short barrel with chokes added would be much better than something with a 28" barrel.

Let me see if I can get you the guys likn......BRB

(Jefferson County)

The 500 seems like a great gun but having to manage an extra shotgun doesn't fit my plans.

Ive shot my 590 quite a bit, took a few tweeties out in flight but lack much knowledge on the platform.

Whats the difference between chokes & cones ?

Read the sites & having a variety of screw in chokes for different situations on the 590 sounds great.

BUT

Are you able to unscrew them (in the woods quickly & easily) & still use "special loads" like with a stock barrel ?

Or would you need separate barrels if you wanted to use both ?

(Montgomery County)

The 500 seems like a great gun but having to manage an extra shotgun doesn't fit my plans.

Ive shot my 590 quite a bit, took a few tweeties out in flight but lack much knowledge on the platform.

Whats the difference between chokes & cones ?

Read the sites & having a variety of screw in chokes for different situations on the 590 sounds great.

BUT

Are you able to unscrew them (in the woods quickly & easily) & still use "special loads" like with a stock barrel ?

Or would you need separate barrels if you wanted to use both ?
    The forcing cone is at the end of the chamber and squeezes the load, tapering from the approx. shotshell OD to the ID. The choke is at the muzzle end and controls the pattern spread.

Threaded chokes can be easily changed in the field.
    Flush mount chokes mount completely inside the barrel and use a wrench (or maybe a quarter) to change.
    There are also extended chokes which often have knurled ends for hand changing and sometimes also external porting.
    You can also get adjustable chokes or "PolyChokes", permanent or thread mount that you can change the choke dia. with a twist.

If you are going to try hunting with it, there are definitely NOS/used 24" 590 barrels out there - you will have to check to see if the single mounting band is in the correct position for your mag tube, and you wont be able to mount the bayo in that setup. (http://www.havlinsales.com/ and choose "Closeout Barrels" or http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/mossbergbarrels.htm) This would be a good compromise barrel. Get one, have it threaded, and put a sight blade on for your Ghost Rings.

ETA: My understanding is that "Cylinder" or "Improved Cylinder" is OK for any load, bird-shot through rifled slugs (sabot slugs require a rifled barrel).
    Last edited by -JD-; November 19th, 2010 at 12:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast