Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Montgomery County LTCF - Hidden Charges?

My LTCF is coming up for renewal soon. My previous license came from Bucks County, but now as a Montco resident I have a new set of rules to follow.

Montco offers the $25 version and the $46 option - license holder's choice. For the $25 license, one requirement is

Laminated paper permit with photo attached, $25.00 You must supply 2 official passport photographs to obtain this permit.
    (Source: http://www2.montcopa.org/Sheriff/cwp...sp?a=3&Q=15450)

It seems to me that the cost of the passport photos should be included in the LTCF fee, on the premise that an anti-gun policy could state the need to provide 200 photos, or 20,000 photos - something financially burdensome. As I understand it, the state-imposed limits on the fees exist to prevent just such a stunt.

So I'm wondering what case could be made to seek a refund on the photo price, or better yet, a fee paid to the sheriff's office of $25 minus the cost of the photos.

Additionally, Montgomery County places the burden of the local police check on the applicant. I just checked with the Hatfield Township police department; they do NOT charge a fee for this check, but I wonder if other municipalities within Montgomery County do. (In which case, the fee to the sheriff should be $25 minus photo cost minus local check cost.)

Are there any precedents for this?
    Last edited by Jorg Schlagzeuger; November 16th, 2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Added local check cost info

(Berks County)