75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Springfield XD 45

44 58.67%
  • Glock 21

31 41.33%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Weigh in on first time gun... Glock 21 vs XD45

My browser wouldn't let me process a new thread under the last thread url, I'm not sure why.

I shot all four guns today at my local range, the xd 45 and it's compact version and the glock 21 and the glock 30.

Without an extension on either, I didn't like shooting them at all.
    When shooting the full I was way more accurate, experienced far less kick and did all around better.

I tried IWB of both and to be honest, I'm not sure if it's because of my build but I felt like I didn't even notice either full size. Well I definetly knew something was there, but it wasn't the least bit uncomfortable or awkward feeling.

Now I'm definetly set on either the full XD45 or the Glock 21.

I like the aggressive feel of the glock more than the straight up and down feel of the XD, the way it feels angled felt very comfortable, but it feels like it takes more of a pull to fire the gun and the XD felt that it fires much easier.

Are there any maintenance pro's/con's or manufacturer things that I could possibly weigh into the equation? I'm stuck between the two.

The

Default Re: Weigh in on first time gun... Glock 21 vs XD45

If you plan to carry concealed, neither is a very good choice. Although some can conceal a full-size, double stack .45, it's tough and will require some wardrobe adjustments, at the very least.

Have you considered a Glock 19?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post
    If you plan to carry concealed, neither is a very good choice. Although some can conceal a full-size, double stack .45, it's tough and will require some wardrobe adjustments, at the very least.

Have you considered a Glock 19?
    I had tried both today and they felt pretty decent. In a regular t-shirt the grip did push the shirt a little bit. I was able to sit, bend, walk, go upstairs all fine without feeling awkward at all or uncomfortable.

in spite of everything you may hear from opposing sides, both these pistols are quite adequate for civilian concealed carry, so imo you should just pick the one you prefer.

the Glock trigger is a double action trigger meaning it has to pull back the hammer before every shot. the XD is striker fired which means it has to release a cocked striker. imo the Glock trigger is more predictable and has a more predictable reset, but the XD trigger is lighter. learning the Glock trigger will take a little longer but after you learn it i believe you will shoot it better - the next step beyond that is a Sig or other quality DA/SA, which will again will take you longer to learn than a Glock and produce better results still. i'm not trying to muddy your selection with a DA/SA, just providing a comparison.

i personally prefer the Glock due to its more predictable trigger and reset and because the XD requires that the grip safety be depressed to actuate the slide. i agree that it should be depressed to drop the trigger, but not to run the slide (it should work the same as on a 1911).

i used to have XD's and Glocks, now i only have Glocks. i would not feel inadequately armed with an XD, i just prefer the Glock. if i had to go to war, i believe the Glock to be a somewhat more durable and proven design, but that's subjective on my part.

fwiw i carry a Sig
    Last edited by chauncey; November 13th, 2010 at 07:30 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Smaller is generally better for a weapon that is concealed. The compromise is size versus performance. I have no doubt that this will be your one and only plastic fantastic queen of polymer. You will buy many many more in the future, which helps the manufacturers stay in business. Pick the one you want, it really is that simple.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

the glock 45's don't fit my hand at all. surprisingly the xd does. i think the xd is the ugliest handgun made, but it does function well for me.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Smaller is generally better for a weapon that is concealed. The compromise is size versus performance. I have no doubt that this will be your one and only plastic fantastic queen of polymer. You will buy many many more in the future, which helps the manufacturers stay in business. Pick the one you want, it really is that simple.
    The Glock 30 with their extended mag bottom still didn't give me enough room to feel comfortable

I really did like the Glock 19, I love the .45 power though. If I had the money for both I definetly would buy both the 19 and 21

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPhilly View Post
    The Glock 30 with their extended mag bottom still didn't give me enough room to feel comfortable

I really did like the Glock 19, I love the .45 power though. If I had the money for both I definetly would buy both the 19 and 21
    Power? What does this mean?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Power? What does this mean?
    I 'enjoy' shooting the .45 at the range much more than the 9mm's. And the .40 has too much snap for me. The .45 has been my favorite caliber at the range for the past couple of years.

When coming down to having the money for one gun at the moment, I'm trying to weigh in everything at once. Best handling for myself, stopping power, etc.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPhilly View Post
    I 'enjoy' shooting the .45 at the range much more than the 9mm's. And the .40 has too much snap for me. The .45 has been my favorite caliber at the range for the past couple of years.

When coming down to having the money for one gun at the moment, I'm trying to weigh in everything at once. Best handling for myself, stopping power, etc.
    There's little evidence that the .45 offers better "stopping power" than 9mm, so I wouldn't take the hit in ammo cost and capacity on account of that, but if you prefer shooting .45 then fair enough.

If you're looking to carry, then you might find the 21 on the big side. Going with a 9mm gives you the choice of having the 19, there is no compact .45 model. If it's primarily a home / range gun then size is less of an issue.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast