Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Moving to PA: Questions

Hi everybody, I was born and raised in Lawrence County, after high school I moved down here to Arkansas to go to college and work. I have been down here for 9 years now and with the birth of our son, we have decided to move back home to be around family.

Since being here in Arkansas, I have obtained a concealed carry permit in the state of Arkansas. PA and AR have reciprocy, along with all of the states we travel through to get to PA, so I have been able to carry in PA without worrys of being hasseled.

My questions are as follows: I assume that my AR license will no longer be valid when I get a PA drivers license (actually it says it on the back of my card so Im not assuming). Having a previous license, will I be able to transfer or ease the process in any way to get a PA license? It looks like getting one in PA will be a lot easier than it was to get my AR license.

Also, since I havent lived in PA for almost 10 years I was wondering about how gun friendly everyone is up there these days? Anybody have any experience in Lawrence county with permitting and the law? I intend to excersize my rights but was just wondering how much resistance I am going to encounter when I get there?

Im sure I have more questions but Ill leave it at that for now. Thanks for any insight!

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Moving to PA: Questions

welcome to this site, there are a lot of good people on here to help you with any questions you may have. there is a reference library at the top right of your screen. it has almost all the info you will need regarding gun law here in PA. and if you have any questions there is a search feature under the pafoa logo bar at the top of your screen. again welcome, and i hope we can help you with anything you need.

(York County)

Welcome to PAFOA, and welcome back to Pennsylvania! Some answers below...

Quote Originally Posted by DeereTech05 View Post
    Hi everybody, I was born and raised in Lawrence County, after high school I moved down here to Arkansas to go to college and work. I have been down here for 9 years now and with the birth of our son, we have decided to move back home to be around family.

Since being here in Arkansas, I have obtained a concealed carry permit in the state of Arkansas. PA and AR have reciprocy, along with all of the states we travel through to get to PA, so I have been able to carry in PA without worrys of being hasseled.

My questions are as follows: I assume that my AR license will no longer be valid when I get a PA drivers license (actually it says it on the back of my card so Im not assuming). Having a previous license, will I be able to transfer or ease the process in any way to get a PA license? It looks like getting one in PA will be a lot easier than it was to get my AR license.
    You will have to go through the process like anyone else, as thought the license was never issued before. PA residents go through the same thing when they renew. It's just a chance for them to run you through the background check all over again. Although the LTCF is a state license, the issuance is handled by the Sheriff for the county in which you reside, so we see some small variations, usually nothing too extreme until you get to Philadephia!

What will ease the process is your clean background check. Although I have no experience with Lawrence County, most of the time it's a pretty easy process.

Quote Originally Posted by DeereTech05 View Post
    Also, since I havent lived in PA for almost 10 years I was wondering about how gun friendly everyone is up there these days? Anybody have any experience in Lawrence county with permitting and the law? I intend to excersize my rights but was just wondering how much resistance I am going to encounter when I get there?

Im sure I have more questions but Ill leave it at that for now. Thanks for any insight!

While I can't speak for Lawrence County, I can tell you based on what I see here on PAFOA that it seems the general public is rather accepting of the idea, most notably so away from the urban center of the larger cities. I have carried openly for 2 years, mostly in and around York County, but occasionally other parts of PA as well, and I have yet to have a single negative encounter. There are of course many variables, but you really should be OK.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

It should be easy enough to get your LTCF once you move, but you could go ahead and get one as a non-resident (there's no such thing as a non-resident LTCF) before you move. Most go to Centre County (http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/l...pplication.asp) and I don't think they've updated to the new system that will require you to appear in person. Then just change your address when you move and you're good to go for 5 years.

Thinking ahead, you might want to plan to pick up a Florida or Utah license since PA's reciprocity is a little lacking. Could do that before or after the move.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    It should be easy enough to get your LTCF once you move, but you could go ahead and get one as a non-resident (there's no such thing as a non-resident LTCF) before you move. Most go to Centre County (http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/l...pplication.asp) and I don't think they've updated to the new system that will require you to appear in person. Then just change your address when you move and you're good to go for 5 years.

Thinking ahead, you might want to plan to pick up a Florida or Utah license since PA's reciprocity is a little lacking. Could do that before or after the move.

Not a bad idea at all, and perfectly legit.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post

{cough...Arizona...cough}

(Lawrence County)

Thanks for all the info! When I get there the states that I will visit most will be VA and NY, which is where the rest of my extended family is, probably 1 or 2 trips a year to each state. I see by the map that VA should not be a problem, but NY is brown. Actually looking at that map on here, it seems that almost every state surrounding PA does not recognize the PA license? What is the deal there?

Also OH will be a big one, since I will probably be working over there a lot. Any experience there? Is it just a NO or can you get a license in OH like suggested with some other states?

(Bucks County)

You can not get one from OH....but a license from AZ, FL or UT will cover you there....

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    You can not get one from OH....but a license from AZ, FL or UT will cover you there....
    Those will also cover you in Delaware, but NY, NJ, and MD aren't gonna happen. Don't even think about guns if you're forced to go there.

(Butler County)

Got stopped in Ohio about a month ago for a rolling stop. Have my Utah permit and informed the LEO I was transporting (required). He asked to see my permit only and that was the end of it. Gave me some grief about PA drivers and rolling stops but let me off with a warning.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast