Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Walmart Bulk 12 Gauge Ammo?

The Walmart by my house has 100 round bulk packs of Remington, Winchester, and Federal 12 gauge target loads at $21.97 a box. Since all three are the same price, I was wondering which one you guys considered to be the best in terms of performance for shooting clays. I was also wondering if you knew which one leaves less carbon in your barrel.

The only visual difference I could see is that the Federal are 3" and the Winchester and Remington are both 2 3/4". Does that make any difference?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Best Walmart Bulk 12 Gauge Ammo?

In my experience, Winchester shotgun ammo is junk. I use remington game loads for all of my small game hunting, and I like the Federal best for shooting clays. Federal is also the only one of the three cheap general purpose that will reliably cycle my 1100.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Northumberland County)

I use all High brass 1-1/4oz Winchester #5 12 gauge loads for small game (2-3/4") and i use the 3 inch #4 winchester 1-7/8oz loads with grex buffer for turkey.

It all depends on what type choke you have in your shotgun for Pheasant and grouse, i use Rem choke (modified) for those and the full choke for turkey.

the federal are good for clay with low brass .

(Luzerne County)

I have used them all for Trap shooting. No detectable difference.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Bucks County)

I usually get the Federal stuff, and haven't had any problems yet. Mind you I'm using a pump not a semi, but it shoots just fine.

I usually go for the Federals when picking up shells at WalMart, I have never had any problems with them. The Winchester bulk shells on the other hand...I had a ton of problems with them in my old gun. However, my new semi will eat just about anything except the super-low recoil shells.

ETA: I go through more Gun Clubs than anything else. My personal favorite.
    Last edited by jokusfocus; November 10th, 2010 at 11:01 AM.

(Venango County)

The Remington Game Loads in individual boxes come out to about the same price and are significantly hotter too. I reload, so I buy Remingtons exclusively, as I believe they currently make the best hulls for reloading.

(Dauphin County)

Sub - I've shot all 3 of those brands, all purchased from Wal-Mart. I've also discharged all 3 from my Winchester 1400 & Remington 1187 super mag. I have had no cycling issue out of either firearm. The consensus I reached were that the Winchester & Remington were basically equal in my opinion and the federals shot equally as well but fouled my barrel & action considerably more & produced a rather unappealing odor (sulfur?). At my local Wal-mart even if the Federals are on sale for a couple bucks cheaper, I reach for the Remington if I’m in a Remington mood or the Winchesters if I’m in a Winchester mood!

Also - If you're buying the 100 packs - the federals are 2 3/4", not 3". All three have very similar velocities (~1200fps), shot weight (~1oz) - If you're the occasional trap or sporting clay shooter like myself you'll never notice a difference, unless you're shooting a semi that just doesn't like a certain brand. I gave up on the federals about 3 years ago, there is a chance they may have changed to a different powder, but i'm not ready to spend 22 bucks to find out.
    Good luck

(Washington County)

My remington loves teh rem ammo, dislikes federal for ejection. But its a semi, used mostly for trap.

(Montgomery County)

I've been thinking about a HD shotgun, and I'm going to have to learn to handle it properly. Are these loads suitable for this kind of practice? (and at what range? I'm such a noob! )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast