Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Valley Forge Gun Show

Quote Originally Posted by gunshop25 View Post
    Valley Forge has only ONE beef jrekey dealer. He has a exclusive at this show. ...
    What a sweet deal for that one guy. He has his own little government operation going on. So does anyone ever sell black market beef jerky there?
    Last edited by johnfritz; November 26th, 2010 at 12:27 PM.
    Johnnie F.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Who wants to bet that PICS will be down "for maintenance" on either 18 or 19 December?

(oil change? new belts? new plugs?)

Noah
    Would this be considered ad hoc gun control?
    Last edited by johnfritz; November 26th, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
    Johnnie F.

Is it going to be as crappy as usual?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    Is it going to be as crappy as usual?
    Although I've been a gun owner and enthusiast for many years, I've never been to a gun show. I was thinking about going to this one, sort of busting my cherry. So to speak.

So is it really crappy? And I understand that the word 'crappy' can be open to interpretation.

Let me ask you this; Does anyone ever buy a GUN at the gun show? Or just other stuff. Like beef jerky.
    Johnnie F.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfritz View Post
    Although I've been a gun owner and enthusiast for many years, I've never been to a gun show. I was thinking about going to this one, sort of busting my cherry. So to speak.

So is it really crappy? And I understand that the word 'crappy' can be open to interpretation.

Let me ask you this; Does anyone ever buy a GUN at the gun show? Or just other stuff. Like beef jerky.
    Let's just say I gave it three chances - three shows. When I did want to buy a new gun, it ended up being cheaper for me to just use Gun Genie and Target World (as much as I don't like that place, either) to buy my new pistol. I saved $100 doing that over buying it at "show special" prices.

If you can get through the Sham Wow, used computers, chinese knives, and other crap you have to get through to actually get to the gun stuff, you might or might not find something you want. I wouldn't count on good prices though.

There are definitely interesting things there, but the prices are usually unreasonable, especially for new guns. Don't count on good ammo prices either.

There could be a number of explanations.
    - For vendors that come from afar, it's an expensive trip
    - Vendor fees could be sky high
    - It's already a competitive market and it's hard/impossible to compete with the Internet and Mao Mart

I definitely don't like the fact that vendor space is used for non-gun crap instead of getting more vendors in. If the show organizers can't get enough gun vendors to fill the place, then they're charging too much and should lower the prices enough to sell out the venue.

(Lancaster County)

Short answer: Thanks! That's what I wanted to know.

Long answer to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    Let's just say I gave it three chances - three shows. When I did want to buy a new gun, it ended up being cheaper for me to just use Gun Genie and Target World (as much as I don't like that place, either) to buy my new pistol. I saved $100 doing that over buying it at "show special" prices.

I was afraid of that. Just like going to any kind of show, not that deals are non-existent but they aren't exactly common.

If you can get through the Sham Wow, used computers, chinese knives, and other crap you have to get through to actually get to the gun stuff, you might or might not find something you want. I wouldn't count on good prices though.

There are definitely interesting things there, but the prices are usually unreasonable, especially for new guns. Don't count on good ammo prices either.

Fun to look I guess but don't plan on finding something I would want to buy.

There could be a number of explanations.
    - For vendors that come from afar, it's an expensive trip
    - Vendor fees could be sky high
    - It's already a competitive market and it's hard/impossible to compete with the Internet and Mao Mart

I would imagine there are formidable up-front charges for vendors to gain entry into these shows. The only people making the real money are the event organizers.

I definitely don't like the fact that vendor space is used for non-gun crap instead of getting more vendors in. If the show organizers can't get enough gun vendors to fill the place, then they're charging too much and should lower the prices enough to sell out the venue.

Yup, anyone coming up wit the scratch to rent a table gets in.
    *Sigh* Well, as far as me going I guess I'll wait and see what else I'm up to that weekend.
    Johnnie F.

*Sigh* Well, as far as me going I guess I'll wait and see what else I'm up to that weekend.
    Yeah, it's fun to go once. You're not terribly far so at worst you're out some gas and 15 bucks - and an afternoon. I just wouldn't go with the expectation of getting bargains on things.

(Berks County)

I've bought three guns and a can at shows this year. I purchased the guns all from the same dealer at better prices then Gun Broker. My dad and I hit VF on Fridays and always have a good time. While every gun show has tables that you walk right past, others tables have nice items. Best thing I could tell you is don't go to a gun show looking for a Black Friday Sale I go for something do and check out stuff. If you have some extra cash, take it with you. If you don't like the prices don't buy. It's that simple

Never been to a show... I would at least go to one. VF is a good local show.

(Pike County)

So is it really crappy?
    Allright, here is my input. Opinions vary. I don't expect any good deals there. Do you homework and know the prices if you are really shopping. Some stuff (like ammo cans) will be fairly cheap. Some (like AKs) will be within reasonable, but otherwise regular market margin. Most, though, will be overpriced. Including beef jerkey.

And yet, I like going there. I like the fact, that everything is in one place. I like the fact, that girls there start flirting whith the guys with the guns, and not running scared like in you regular Walmart. And I like hanging around like-minded people. This time I will look specifically for: large ammo can, few magazines for different guns (from The Magazine Lady, of course), Tula ammo 9x19 - somebody told me he paid $7 per 50rnd box at the last show. And a grip screw, that my Star PD is missing. And whatever I'll have my eye on.

The only thing I wasn't comfortable with (on the last show) is the fact they ziptie your sidearm at the entrance.
    Je suis déplorable

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    ... The only thing I wasn't comfortable with (on the last show) is the fact they ziptie your sidearm at the entrance.
    Johnnie F.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast