Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Finally went to apply for my ltcf...

Not much to tell really, I finally took an afternoon off of work and headed into Philly to apply for my ltcf. It really is a pain that the Gun Permit Unit (shouldn't that be Gun License Unit?) is only open until 2:00.

I was a little nervous actually, being a permanent resident there always seems to be confusion as to what paper work I actually need. So I had just about every document and piece of mail in the house. Turns out the officer only wanted to see two bills or pieces of mail, I actually had to remind her that I needed 3 consecutive months of documentation. (I didn't want to get denied for something she forgot).

Overall it wasn't bad, the interview was really just a rehash of the questions on the application. It took about 2.5 hours but I got out of there eventually and met some nice people in the meantime. Now I just have to wait 8-10 weeks to find out if I am approved... seems like a lifetime...

Side note: while I was there I never once heard the officers say license, it was always permit...

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Finally went to apply for my ltcf...

Three consecutive months of documentation? I don't remember seeing that anywhere in the PA code.

(Lancaster County)

...and 2.5 hours to do it? The last time I went in to renew mine we were there for 20 minutes, and they did the background check instantly.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jokester View Post
    Not much to tell really, I finally took an afternoon off of work and headed into Philly to apply for my ltcf. It really is a pain that the Gun Permit Unit (shouldn't that be Gun License Unit?) is only open until 2:00.

I was a little nervous actually, being a permanent resident there always seems to be confusion as to what paper work I actually need. So I had just about every document and piece of mail in the house. Turns out the officer only wanted to see two bills or pieces of mail, I actually had to remind her that I needed 3 consecutive months of documentation. (I didn't want to get denied for something she forgot).

Overall it wasn't bad, the interview was really just a rehash of the questions on the application. It took about 2.5 hours but I got out of there eventually and met some nice people in the meantime. Now I just have to wait 8-10 weeks to find out if I am approved... seems like a lifetime...

Side note: while I was there I never once heard the officers say license, it was always permit...
    Edit: My mistake, see below
    Last edited by IronSight; November 8th, 2010 at 08:56 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    Your drivers license & or PA photo ID required providing proof of residency to obtain, the fact that they ask, nay demand anything more is absurd.

Yet another case of the Philly Gun Permit Unit abusing the citizens they're supposed to be serving.
    He's a resident alien, federal law requires three months of documented continuous residence in state before they will approve a NICS check.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    He's a resident alien, federal law requires three months of documented continuous residence in state before they will approve a NICS check.
    WHOOPS, well that's what I get for reading it too quickly. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    ...and 2.5 hours to do it? The last time I went in to renew mine we were there for 20 minutes, and they did the background check instantly.
    This couldn't possibly be in Philly... it takes 20 minutes just to sign in...

Well it has been over 5 weeks now and still no letter of any kind. I was reading over some info the other day and I see that the GPU is closed from Dec 20 to Jan 3.
    Does anyone know if they will include this vacation time in the 8 weeks they originally told me it would take to process? or will I be stuck for an extra 2 weeks? (I know what the Pa code says, but this is Philly we are talking about.)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jokester View Post
    This couldn't possibly be in Philly... it takes 20 minutes just to sign in...

Well it has been over 5 weeks now and still no letter of any kind. I was reading over some info the other day and I see that the GPU is closed from Dec 20 to Jan 3.
    Does anyone know if they will include this vacation time in the 8 weeks they originally told me it would take to process? or will I be stuck for an extra 2 weeks? (I know what the Pa code says, but this is Philly we are talking about.)
    Pretty sure PA code makes no mention of vacation time. And PA code supercedes Philly BS.

(Lawrence County)

If PA code superceded Philly B.S. then he wouldn't have to wait 8 weeks in the first place regardless of Christmas vacation. Actually since it is already 5 weeks he should have an answer next week but we all know that won't happen.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    If PA code superceded Philly B.S. then he wouldn't have to wait 8 weeks in the first place regardless of Christmas vacation. Actually since it is already 5 weeks he should have an answer next week but we all know that won't happen.
    PA code does supercede Philly BS.

Philly is in violation of PA State Law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast