Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 380acp crimp & 45acp crimp

2 questions:

1: 380 auto Crimp- I am going to start reloading 380 auto. I have been using Lee dies, and am happy with them. Lee does not offer a 4 die set with the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It can be purchased separately. Are they suggesting that crimping for 380 is unnecessary unless you are having function/reliability issues?

2: 45 auto crimp- I have been loading 45 auto for a while. I wanted to make some super duper rounds to throw in a 50 cal can with desiccant for situations such as when Hurricane Katrina strikes W. Pa. I have never had cycling issues with my 45's, however if I'm going to do this, I want to do it right (primer sealant, dessicant, etc.) Will the crimp help sealing the rounds or am I embarking down an unnecessary path?

Taper vs Roll Crimp - obviously a taper crimp here, it's not a revolver.

I am looking at the Lee Factory Crimp dies only, they are within my budget and yet to let me down.

Thanks

(York County)

Default Re: 380acp crimp & 45acp crimp

I use Lee factory crimp dies for ALL my auto pistol reloads, It is just a good and easy insurance step.
    I also found they don't offer a 4 die set for .380, Why?? I don't know, but I bought the separate F.C.D. and can tell you that with some brass it really puts a crimp on them, and with others its just arm exercise with little or no added crimp. Think of them as sort of a go/no go gauge that fixes the no go's that might cause trouble. So I recommend you use them.
    Last edited by Beardog; November 8th, 2010 at 07:48 PM.

(Lehigh County)

I'd go with a slight taper crimp. Keep in mind both .45acp and .380 headspace on the case mouth. You can use your primer pocket sealant around the crimp area to seal that from moisture. If you plan on sealing them up in a can, I'd still consider using a vacuum seal bag to stick the rounds in first as extra protection. At the very least, place some sort of gasket material around the rim of the .50 can to keep out most of your potential moisture otherwise your dessicant won't be that effective.

(Columbia County)

I crimp all of my reloads, and do so with the Lee FCD. Spend the extra money and get the factory crimp dies. Remember, part of the reason for crimping handgun ammo is to flatten out the bell put on the case by the expanded die.

(Cambria County)

You definetly want to crimp your ammo. I like the Redding Taper Crimp die for autos. Besides helping to seal the case, a consistent crimp will determine the pressure required for the bullet to start moving out of the case. Resulting in more consistent velocities.
    Once upon a time when I was single, my laundry service gave me an envelope with a reloaded cartridge in it with the laundry. Along with the cartridge was a note asking me to empty my pockets before leaving laundry. I took the cartridge to the range and fired it with no problem. The next time I was in the laundry, I asked if that cartridge was washed. They said it was and that they found it banging around in the dryer! Nothing special was done to that cartridge except a good crimp on a lead bullet.

(Allegheny County)

Just remember you have to be careful with the FCD it is real easy to overcrimp. The way i was taught to set up the die is at the top of the stroke, then adjust die to get desired crimp. If using lead projectiles it is possible with a FCD to size the bullet down too small to fill the barrel perfectly and it will cause leading.

Andy
    Andrew Jackson USN (1992-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo Fierro View Post
    You definetly want to crimp your ammo. ..... Besides helping to seal the case, a consistent crimp will determine the pressure required for the bullet to start moving out of the case. Resulting in more consistent velocities.

While all of what you said makes sense, Lee doesn't even offer the crimp die with their 380 sets, it seems like Lee thinks it's generally unnecessary otherwise their products wouldn't be sold like that.

(Susquehanna County)

Cartridges for semi-auto pistols headspace on the case mouth so they must use a taper crimp. I don't believe Lee is implying that crimping .380 Auto is not needed. Only they make a modest about in more profit by selling the extra die separately. BTW you might check other resources because the 9mm Luger Factory Crimp Die might also work for .380 ACP (also know as 9mm Kurtz).

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".