Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Heard something interesting/disturbing on the Scanner.

The other day I was listing to the chatter on the scanner and heard a "man with a gun call" come across. Police showed up rather quick and settled the scene and while I don't think they arrested the man, they did detain him while things got sorted out.

During the course of things, I heard county dispatch call back to one of the officers with "Yes, he has a Walther .380 registered to him with that serial number". I didn't hear the officer contact county with the serial number, but I found it curious that somehow dispatch identified the firearm by serial number and said that it was registered to him.

I have heard the rumors that PA State Police have been keeping a secret registry of purchased firearms. Anyone have any other incite into this?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Heard something interesting/disturbing on the Scanner.

As far as I know...

Its not a "gun" registry.

Its a "sales" of guns registry.

The devil is in the details.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lancaster County)

Doesn't that create a defacto gun registry? Since even private sales have to be done through an FFL?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Doesn't that create a defacto gun registry? Since even private sales have to be done through an FFL?
    Per the PA Supreme Court is doesn't because it doesn't include firearms purchased before the record of transfer was put into effect, nor firearms brought into PA, or transfers that dont require being recorded.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

I think that they believe that if they say "registered" enough, it just may happen.

"registered" is (a) a lot easier to say than "it shows up in our sales database as being purchased by Mr. Smith", and (b) it's what they truly believe... think about all the gun owners you know who believe that firearms are registered.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I think that they believe that if they say "registered" enough, it just may happen.

"registered" is (a) a lot easier to say than "it shows up in our sales database as being purchased by Mr. Smith", and (b) it's what they truly believe... think about all the gun owners you know who believe that firearms are registered.
    My B-I-L was asking me about purchasing his first firearm and he's from northern Jersey. Kept bringing up that if he got one, he wanted to make sure it was properly registered. I about had to slap him upside his head before I could convince him that wasn't a requirement in PA.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    My B-I-L was asking me about purchasing his first firearm and he's from northern Jersey. Kept bringing up that if he got one, he wanted to make sure it was properly registered. I about had to slap him upside his head before I could convince him that wasn't a requirement in PA.
    It's actually not a requirement in NJ either.
    Let them take arms

(Centre County)

We're losing it brothers...we're swimming upstream. We cannot continue to apathetically give ground--we will lose. Gun rights are not free.
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by rodder View Post
    It's actually not a requirement in NJ either.
    A record of all firearms transferred through an NJ FFL is reported to police per state statute.

NJSA 2C:58-2

b.Records. Every person engaged in the retail business of selling, leasing or otherwise transferring a handgun, as a retail dealer or otherwise, shall keep a register in which shall be entered the time of the sale, lease or other transfer, the date thereof, the name, age, date of birth, complexion, occupation, residence and a physical description including distinguishing physical characteristics, if any, of the purchaser, lessee or transferee, the name and permanent home address of the person making the sale, lease or transfer, the place of the transaction, and the make, model, manufacturer's number, caliber and other marks of identification on such handgun and such other information as the superintendent shall deem necessary for the proper enforcement of this chapter. The register shall be retained by the dealer and shall be made available at all reasonable hours for inspection by any law enforcement officer.

e.Copies of register entries; delivery to chief of police or county clerk. Within five days of the date of the sale, assignment or transfer, the dealer shall deliver or mail by certified mail, return receipt requested, legible copies of the register forms to the office of the chief of police of the municipality in which the purchaser resides, or to the office of the captain of the precinct of the municipality in which the purchaser resides, and to the superintendent. If hand delivered a receipt shall be given to the dealer therefor.
    True, NJ does not have mandatory registration for all firearms but it does for all purchases. The OP's B-I-L, being an NJ resident, cannot purchase a firearm in NJ without it being registered with police except possibly longarms from another NJ resident in a private FTF.

Its unclear what reporting is required of a non-NJ FFL selling longarms since they are not licensed as an NJ retailer but I suspect that a report would be required since the out-of-state FFL must "fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States" [18 USC 922(b)(3)(A)].
    Last edited by tl_3237; November 8th, 2010 at 08:44 PM.
    IANAL

(Luzerne County)

Why not discuss in the existing thread, stickied at the top of this very forum?

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/414...nsfers-pa.html

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast