Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Taurus PT-22 Questions

I just bought a Taurus PT-22 for my wife as her first gun, and I was told that when I purchased it was picky on what kind ammo it likes, and I have noticed that it seems to shoot Remington ammo the best, so far. I also tried Federal and some cheapo brand, and neither would cycle properly. Even though the Remington cycles better, about 3-4 out of 100 round will either jam or get hung up when ejecting. My next issue is that the firing pin does not seem to be striking the cartridge hard enough, it sometimes takes three pulls of the trigger to get a round to fire. I have pulled the fireing pin out and cleaned it and also cleaned the reservoir where that the firing pin sits in. After cleaning the fireing pin the gun does seem to have improved somewhat but it still sometimes takes 2 pulls of the trigger to fire a round, about 10 of of 100, where as before cleaning it would take 2-3 pulls for about 1-2 rounds out of every magazine. I am open to any thoughts or suggestions you guys might have, I just would like to get this straightened out for since my wife loves to shoot it.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Taurus PT-22 Questions

only use good clean high velocity rounds in the PT22, like CCI Stingers, or Velocitors.

try quality ammo, skip the cheap crap like bulk pack Federal or Remington, since the gun is blowback operated, you want a high velocity round.

the gun is similar to a Beretta 21a, and my Beretta works flawlessly with Stingers.

if the firing problem continues, send it back to Taurus, but i feel that its probably an ammo problem.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    only use good clean high velocity rounds in the PT22, like CCI Stingers, or Velocitors.

try quality ammo, skip the cheap crap like bulk pack Federal or Remington, since the gun is blowback operated, you want a high velocity round.

the gun is similar to a Beretta 21a, and my Beretta works flawlessly with Stingers.

if the firing problem continues, send it back to Taurus, but i feel that its probably an ammo problem.
    +1
    I agree with JayBell.

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Lawrence County)

Also, stretch out or replace the firing pin spring, that will help the light strikes...

Chazspringsarecheapanywayman321
    I like guns... And boobs...

Red face Re: Taurus PT-22 Questions

i have one and i sent it back to taurus usa last year for a broken firingpin.

other than that i really have no problems with it. its even tiny enough to clean the barrel with a q tip with clp. as far as ammo is concerned ive been shooting wally world federal bulk pack and it functions fine. if i rememebr correctly i would get light strike misfires prior to sending it to taurus for the f-pin problem. but now i cannot recall the problem reoccured.

i just wish i have more than one magazine for it because this pistol is so fun to shoot. ive only found one place online that sells them for 13 i believe. since i dont shoot it much i couldnt justify buying more mags.

ETA. my one and only magazine split at the top. the backside separated from the right and it wouldnt feed and function. all i did was bend it back in shape, sanded it down a bit, then used my soldering iron to "weld" it back in place. i know i know what you are thinking, but it works!

ps the sight/aim is horrible,( what do you expect) i think the sights are about 1 foot low at est 5 yards.

(Philadelphia County)

as it has no extractor, i do not recommend it for self-defense.

(Lancaster County)

Just wanted to thank you guys for the info... I also wanted to update you guys to the situation.

We have started putting only CCI Stinger through the gun, but we still have some issues with lite strikes and a jam every once in a while.

So I am going to replace the firing pin and firing pin spring and see if that helps.

If anyone has any other helpful info I'm open to any help.

i sugguest you buy all sorts of 22 cal ammo. get the small 50 rd boxes and test them all out.

i havent fired mine in a while because im scared of the fireing pin breaking or anything else for that matter. i dont wnat to shell out cash to send it back to taurus either. it feels really fragile when i fire it.

(Lancaster County)

Well when I called Taurus the guy told me that even though I bought it used that there warrenty still covered it, since Taurus has a warrenty that goes by the guns serial number and not the owner. So I had the option of sending just the slide back to them to get it fixed, or to the parts mailed to me at no cost. So I would suggest that you call them, they should be able to send you what ever you need.

(Allegheny County)

gotta love that customer service....i've had nothing but great experience with their customer service...wish i could say the same of browning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast