Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Question for the lawyers on the forum

I am currently doing research for a project looking at gun laws in PA and comparing them to Virginia. I want to investigate concealed carry in PA vs. VA, and to see perhaps if there is a reason (politically) why you can carry a handgun in a bar in PA if drinking but not in VA. Part of my assignment is finding out who introduced the bill into the House or Senate. While looking at Section 6106 Title 18 I can't determine what the bill number originally was for this law. I see it was enacted in 1972, but the state website has nothing prior to 1975 (Enactment. Chapter 61 was added December 6, 1972, P.L.1482, No.334, effective in six months). What does the P.L. stand for? Is there a way to figure out who introduced the bill into the legislature from this or is that too old/broad to figure it out. Otherwise I am going to have to try to find more recent legislation about gun control and go from there. Thanks in advance.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Question for the lawyers on the forum

As to why you can carry in a bar in PA is simple... there is no law against it. Why make it an offlimits place, not all people drink that goto such places.

I'll leave the rest for the legal eagles to answer.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 14th, 2007 at 09:09 PM.

(Chester County)

I know that is why you can carry in a bar in PA. Maybe I should clarify my paper so I don't sound ill informed. Its on institutional politics. The paper itself is supposed to illustrate why a certain law passed in one state and not in another, or why two bills failed in one state. I spoke with my professor and plan on attempting to show why you can carry concealed in both states, but there are different restrictions in one state and not the other (the whole carry in the bar thing).

(Luzerne County)

Not a lawyer, but you need to be talking with someone from VA about their laws.

Until a law is passed, against or restricting something.......everything is legal. In other words, someone in VA decided that carrying in a bar is illegal. What made them come to that decision?

(Chester County)

again, thank you. I need to figure out where the law that is on the PA books came from. I think I might change my paper to something a bit easier, perhaps two bills that were not passed in a given state. There ought to be two bills introduced by people from the philadelphia area that were not passed.

(Luzerne County)

What law are you refering to?

In PA, there is no law about carrying in any place that serves alcohol.

Sorry, can't help you with the intricate details as to who introduced or brought about the UFA.

(Montgomery County)

Actually, in VA, its illegal to carry CONCEALED in a bar, or place that serves alcohol, regardless of carry permit or not (does not apply to owners or employees, only cstomers)

however, its perfectly fine to carry OPENLY in such a place

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

for further info on gun laws in VA, you might want to check this site out:

Virginia Citizens Defense League

http://www.vcdl.org/
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMoose View Post
    I know that is why you can carry in a bar in PA. Maybe I should clarify my paper so I don't sound ill informed. Its on institutional politics. The paper itself is supposed to illustrate why a certain law passed in one state and not in another, or why two bills failed in one state. I spoke with my professor and plan on attempting to show why you can carry concealed in both states, but there are different restrictions in one state and not the other (the whole carry in the bar thing).
    In VA, You may carry openly in a bar, but not concealed.
    Go figure...
    Can't have a drink and carry (or drive) in NC...
    I would like to see a more uniform policy for all of us. Just because I am in a restaurant or other "joint" should not matter. Personally I feel safer having a "friend" with me in those situations...Have done so for years, and never had the need to pull a weapon, but that is just luck I guess...As we know, that could change in seconds.
    I just hate being "illegal" when I exercise my right to protect and defend myself for all lawful purposes...
    It puts us in the position of being a victim or a hero at every turn...Sheeple could praise or hate us at every turn...what a quandry.
    mrwildroot
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

. Otherwise I am going to have to try to find more recent legislation about gun control and go from there. Thanks in advance.
    Depending on how much you can change the topic of your paper, if you can't find enough research for your subject, perhaps you can look at the Federal and State Preemption laws that were passed prohibiting the government/states from passing laws imposing gun control laws -- which, I suppose, is kind of the flip side of gun control, but it's nice to see how that's overturned a lot of legislation that had been written afterwards.

(Philadelphia County)

For some laws, such as the one in VA prohibiting carry in a bar, it's likely really just arbitrary.

Many laws are passed as ill advised knee jerk reactions to address immediate concerns of voters and pacify them in the short term. Introducing yet another bill on the topic of the day gets the pol headlines. You likely won't find a lot of rhyme or reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast