Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default PA to vote on Anti-Gun Bill Package

URGENT: Pennsylvania House Judiciary Committee Scheduled to Vote on Anti-Gun Bill Package!

Contact the Members of the House Judiciary Committee TODAY!

At the request of Governor Ed Rendell (D), the Pennsylvania House Judiciary Committee has tentatively scheduled a meeting for Tuesday, November 20 at 10:00am, to vote on several anti-gun measures. The package of bills include one-gun-a-month, a requirement for individuals to report lost or stolen firearms, and legislation that would overturn Pennsylvania’s current preemption law.

House Bill 18, sponsored by State Representative Dwight Evans (D-Philadelphia), would further provide for limitations on the regulation of firearms and ammunition by local municipalities. State preemption regulating firearms was enacted by the legislature to avoid the possibility of thousands of separate firearm laws across the Commonwealth. Without preemption there would be a myriad of local firearms laws making compliance impossible for law abiding gun owners. In addition, this proposed legislation may also be in conflict with Article 1, Section 21 of the Constitution of Pennsylvania which states "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be questioned."

House Bill 22, "one-gun-a-month" legislation, sponsored by State Representative John Myers (D-Philadelphia), will prohibit law-abiding citizens from purchasing more than one handgun at a time, and impose a 30-day waiting period between single handgun purchases.

House Bill 29, "Lost or Stolen Firearms” legislation, sponsored by State Representative Jewell Williams (D-Philadelphia), would make it a crime to fail to report the loss or theft of a firearm to police within 24 hours of discovering the firearm missing. This proposal would criminalize victims of crime and is ineffective.

It is imperative that you contact the members of the House Judiciary Committee TODAY to strongly encourage them to OPPOSE this package of anti-gun bills!

Members of the House Judiciary Committee are listed below:

State Representative Thomas R. Caltagirone (D-127), Chairman
    (717) 787-3525

State Representative Daylin Leach (D-149), Secretary
    (717) 783-9114

State Representative Kathy Manderino (D-194)
    (717) 787-1254

State Representative John E. Pallone (D-54)
    (717) 783-1819

State Representative Don Walko (D-20)
    (717) 787-5470

State Representative Ron Marsico (R-105), Chairman
    (717) 783-2014

State Representative Lisa Bennington (D-21)
    (717) 705-7011

State Representative Dan Frankel (D-23)
    (717) 705-1875

State Representative Harold James (D-186)
    (717) 787-9477

State Representative Deberah Kula (D-52)
    (717) 772-1858

State Representative Bryan R. Lentz (D-161)
    (717) 787-8574

State Representative Joseph A. Petrarca (D-55)
    (717) 787-5142

State Representative Sean M. Ramaley (D-16)
    (717) 787-4444

State Representative Greg Vitali (D-16)
    (717) 705-2089

State Representative Chelsa Wagner (D-22)
    (717) 783-1582

State Representative Jesse White (D-46)
    (717) 783-6437

State Representative Jewell Williams (D-197)
    (717) 772-2004

State Representative Tom C. Creighton (R-37)
    (717) 772-5290

State Representative Craig A. Dally (R-138)
    (717) 783-8573

State Representative John R. Evans (R-5)
    (717) 772-9940

State Representative Will Gabig (R-199)
    (717) 772-2280

State Representative Glen R. Grell (R-87)
    (717) 783-2063

State Representative Kate Harper (R-61)
    (717) 787-2801

State Representative Beverly Mackereth (R-196)
    (717) 783-2655

State Representative Carl W. Mantz (R-187)
    (717) 787-3017

State Representative Bernie O'Neill (R-29)
    (717) 705-7170

State Representative Tina Pickett (R-110)
    (717) 783-8238

State Representative Todd Rock (R-90)
    (717) 783-5218

State Representative Katie True (R-41)
    (717) 705-7161
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: PA to vote on Anti-Gun Bill Package

Good Catch!

Here's what House Committee Meeting Schedule says!

10:00 AM JUDICIARY COMMITTEE
    Room G50 Irvis Office Bldg.
    HB 18, HB 22, HB 29, and any other business that may come before the Committee

These are bills that have been stalled in Committee since about February. All of them are non-starters from our point of view. Please firmly and politely voice your opposition to these to the committee members by telephone, fax, or e-mail. And just in case, be prepared to fight these in the full house and Senate.

(Delaware County)

two threads same subject, this one was started an hour ago ....

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/question-...gent-read.html

(Susquehanna County)

I've e-mailed each member of the commitee expressing my feeling on these bills. I;ve also contacted my own Rep's asking for their help in killing these bills in the commitee. However with that said and the fact that there are a few people from Phila and Delaware county on the committee they may come out for a vote. I am asking everyone on this forum to contact them and their own rep's and make your feeling known if you don't you run the risk of these bills passing.

The feelings in Phila and the counties around them are running high based on the police shootings there.

(Erie County)

Thanks for the heads up, letters written to my rep on the Nov 20 mtg and on HB1744.

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the heads up guys. I sent letters to my rep and I will call before the 20th

(Bucks County)

I took the NRA alert posted above, and did some analysis on the committee members. This is definitely no time to get complacent, as this could be very close. To summarize, based on my admittedly armature survey:

Likely votes against gun control: 15
    Likely votes in favor of gun control: 9
    Could go either way: 5

We've had a lot of turnover in the previous election, so there are a lot of reps who's votes could go either way. I think we have a good chance of defeating this in committee, but we'll have to fight. We all know Ed Rendell is a pit bull when it comes to fighting for his agenda. We have to be the same way about fighting for our rights.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Allegheny County)

The National Shooting Sports Foundation also has a Red Alert on this as well and they have also included HB 29

http://www.nssf.org/news/fromBP.cfm?BPseq=628

THREE ANTI-GUN BILLS TO BE VOTED ON IN PA. HOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE
    Contact the Members of the House Judiciary Committee TODAY!

The Pennsylvania House Judiciary Committee will vote on three anti-gun measures this Tuesday, Nov. 20 at 10 a.m. The trio of bills includes a ban on law-abiding citizens purchasing more than one handgun a month, legislation which would permit local municipalities to enact their own anti-gun laws and regulations creating a patchwork of conflicting laws across the state and a law that will make criminals out of crime victims for failing to realize soon enough that their firearms were stolen.

House Bill 22: Sponsor, State Rep. John Myers (D-Philadelphia). This legislation will prohibit law-abiding citizens from purchasing more than one handgun a month. Studies have shown that "one-gun-a-month" laws do not reduce crime.

House Bill 18: Sponsor, State Rep. Dwight Evans (D-Philadelphia). This legislation would invalidate Pennsylvania's current law that provides for uniform state law regulating firearms and ammunition by preventing localities from passing more stringent gun control laws. If HB18 passes, municipalities will be able to enact a crazy patchwork of gun-control laws and regulations. The right of law-abiding Pennsylvanians to purchase firearms and ammunition will vary greatly depending on where they happen to live. Pennsylvania will end up with thousands of new gun-control laws and regulations affecting gun owners from one local jurisdiction to another, none of which will reduce crime.

House Bill 29: Sponsor, State Rep. Jewell Williams (D-Philadelphia). This legislation would turn victims of crime into criminals by failing to report a missing or stolen firearm within 24 hours of discovering the firearm missing.

It is imperative that all sportsmen, gun-owners and firearms enthusiasts contact the members of the House Judiciary Committee immediately and urge them to oppose these dangerous anti-gun bills that will do nothing to reduce crime.

Here is the ACSL review of these Anti Gun Rights Bills Summary as of April 2007 along with lots of other pending bad AG bills

http://acslpa.org/n-legislative/Harr...f%204-2007.htm

IF you think these bills won't really effect you that much, think again after reading that AG summary.

(Chester County)

I called all reps and left a message

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    I took the NRA alert posted above, and did some analysis on the committee members. This is definitely no time to get complacent, as this could be very close. To summarize, based on my admittedly armature survey:

Likely votes against gun control: 15
    Likely votes in favor of gun control: 9
    Could go either way: 5

We've had a lot of turnover in the previous election, so there are a lot of reps who's votes could go either way. I think we have a good chance of defeating this in committee, but we'll have to fight. We all know Ed Rendell is a pit bull when it comes to fighting for his agenda. We have to be the same way about fighting for our rights.
    Good analysis, Sebastian, thank you!

Let's not forget Boss Tweed Rendell personally will be twisting arms to get this crap passed. Let's work hard on this vote and not take anything for granted.

Also, make sure to take the time to contact the solid anti-gun legislators too, since they need to get a sense for how unpopular are their attacks on our essential liberties.
    PSA
    Pennsylvania Sportsmen's Association
    "Rights, Not Privileges"
    FOAC
    Firearm Owners Against Crime
    PAFOA
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    GOA Life Member
    Gun Owners of America

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast