Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Why won't my Henry Survival Rifle work?

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    And while I'm on it, what is with people selling broken guns to stores instead of getting them fixed? I don't have very nice words for these types of people.
    I wouldn't be so sure that the issue lies with the old seller. We have no way of knowing what they told the shop they sold the gun to. They could have informed that that it wasn't functioning and the shop decided to just put it out anyway--or left it sit before putting it out, forgot the sellers comments and didn't worry about it.

I don't know what it is about used gun dealers. Rarely do shops so much as clean their used guns, let alone inspect or repair them.

I don't give the seller a pass if he/she knew about the issue and didn't say anything, but the common practice of shops just sticking used guns out for sale purely based on the word of the seller needs to be called into question as well.

(Bucks County)

Also true!

I am all for Caveat Emptor, but there are certain things that impede this. Such as, I make it a point NEVER to fire a .22 weapon unloaded unless it is my own and the instructions clearly state this is okay (or I have taken it apart and can verify that the firing pin will not hit the barrel).

Even still, sometimes you just can't know of a problem until you shoot the gun. Things might look okay and not be.

Additionally, some shops policy on the matter is really...well questionable. Some shops it is AS IS sales with no option for returning while other shops insist even with a used gun, they will make it right if something isn't. I'd love to say I only shop at the latter, but sometimes you see a deal too good to be true...even if you have to put a little bit into it.

And for the record, I requested the cost of the parts for the Henry (hammer spring and firing pin) when they suggested I send it back to them at their cost. They get an A+ for customer service. Seems like most gun companies care (or at the very least don't want a huge lawsuit on their hands).

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure that the issue lies with the old seller. We have no way of knowing what they told the shop they sold the gun to. They could have informed that that it wasn't functioning and the shop decided to just put it out anyway--or left it sit before putting it out, forgot the sellers comments and didn't worry about it.

I don't know what it is about used gun dealers. Rarely do shops so much as clean their used guns, let alone inspect or repair them.

I don't give the seller a pass if he/she knew about the issue and didn't say anything, but the common practice of shops just sticking used guns out for sale purely based on the word of the seller needs to be called into question as well.
    Last edited by zachomega; November 7th, 2010 at 08:09 PM.

(Franklin County)

I am buying in the near future. This forum just convensed me it will be a Henry 22 and not a Ruger 10 22. I really do like the lever actions too! Thanks for the advise. RETIRED AND LOVING IT! Bob

I too had a Henry survival rifle that just wouldnt stop jamming with about every brand ammo I tried. Henry had it sent back on their dime with no questions asked. They replaced my rifle with another new one. It worked perfectly from day one. Their customer service is second to none in my opinion.
    YMMV,
    TJ
    P.S> I own one of their 22lr Goldenboys. What a super lever rifle that is.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by tjironhorse View Post
    I too had a Henry survival rifle that just wouldnt stop jamming with about every brand ammo I tried. Henry had it sent back on their dime with no questions asked. They replaced my rifle with another new one. It worked perfectly from day one. Their customer service is second to none in my opinion.
    YMMV,
    TJ
    P.S> I own one of their 22lr Goldenboys. What a super lever rifle that is.
    This thread made me get around to sending mine back. The only thing it will shoot is mini mags when its running wet.

(Berks County)

The AR 7 survival rifle can be a real joy to shoot or a real nightmare. I'm on number 2 myself now and I still love them inspite of their flaws. My current one is an original Costa Mesa marked AR 7

1. Ammo the hotter the better. I use CCI Stingers and Mini Mags and that seems to do the trick.

2. Jams are usually caused by a lack of feed ramp on the barrel. Some of the Charter Arms branded ones had issues with the barrels not being perfectly straight. To fix the jam issue all that is neeed is to carefully and I mean carefully cut a small feed ramp into the bottom of the barrel. Do an internet search for a video on this process. Just go slow and test as you do the ramp, and DO NOT make the ramp go below the barrel liner :|

3. Best magazines for the AR 7 were the ones made by Ram Line. Sadly they no longer make them And if you find them be prepared to spend and spend dearly. Check the magazine feed lips for rough spots or bent lips. Also make sure that the magazine is not lose in the magazine well.

To the OP as far as the light firing pin strike, a quick cure that MIGHT work is to spray some Break Free powder solvent into the firing pin and its track. Sometimes theres a ton of crap in there. The other problem may be a firing pin that is not cut to spec. That will require a total tear down to get to the firing pin and its spring.

Don't give up on her just yet. Its a fun rifle once you get to know it

If you are going to keep it, get a spare hammer and trigger and the springs for it. They have a nasty habit of going fun switch time and in this climate that is not a good thing :|
    gotta love her ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob & Wife View Post
    I am buying in the near future. This forum just convensed me it will be a Henry 22 and not a Ruger 10 22. I really do like the lever actions too! Thanks for the advise. RETIRED AND LOVING IT! Bob
    My wife's first rifle was a Henry .22 lever action. It's a great little plinker. I've dealt with Henry customer service on a couple of occasions to order parts for various random projects and they've always been extremely helpful. Sometimes Mr. Imperato himself answer's the phone.

(Bucks County)

Thank you for the information. I already did a complete tear down. The firing pin looks short to me. I am just waiting for Henry to send me the return label since they didn't want to quote me a price on parts. I am in no rush so if they want to spend their money on it, that is fine with me.

Again, their customer service is very good. The president of the company responded to my original request which leads me to believe it is a small tight knit family style business.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    The AR 7 survival rifle can be a real joy to shoot or a real nightmare. I'm on number 2 myself now and I still love them inspite of their flaws. My current one is an original Costa Mesa marked AR 7

1. Ammo the hotter the better. I use CCI Stingers and Mini Mags and that seems to do the trick.

2. Jams are usually caused by a lack of feed ramp on the barrel. Some of the Charter Arms branded ones had issues with the barrels not being perfectly straight. To fix the jam issue all that is neeed is to carefully and I mean carefully cut a small feed ramp into the bottom of the barrel. Do an internet search for a video on this process. Just go slow and test as you do the ramp, and DO NOT make the ramp go below the barrel liner :|

3. Best magazines for the AR 7 were the ones made by Ram Line. Sadly they no longer make them And if you find them be prepared to spend and spend dearly. Check the magazine feed lips for rough spots or bent lips. Also make sure that the magazine is not lose in the magazine well.

To the OP as far as the light firing pin strike, a quick cure that MIGHT work is to spray some Break Free powder solvent into the firing pin and its track. Sometimes theres a ton of crap in there. The other problem may be a firing pin that is not cut to spec. That will require a total tear down to get to the firing pin and its spring.

Don't give up on her just yet. Its a fun rifle once you get to know it

If you are going to keep it, get a spare hammer and trigger and the springs for it. They have a nasty habit of going fun switch time and in this climate that is not a good thing :|

(Blair County)

Thanks to this thread I got my ass in gear and sent mine back. Got shipping label thrusday and sent it today. No questions from henry. All that was said was send it back will take care of it. Letter said 2-3 weeks and a month at most to get it back. I curious to see how they stack up against customer service at smith and wesson and keltec. Both are outstanding. I doubt they can be any worse than my expeirence with taurus.

(Blair County)

So henry service. Here is a time line. Called on a monday. No questions other than what is wrong with it and my name and address. Shipping label was there by thursday with a letter stating send it back include a letter of what was wrong and my name address. Shipped back on november 15th received a letter november 17th stated that the gun was recieved and would be taken care of with in 30days. Received gun today 23rd with a letter replaced bolt, both magizines, and mag catch. testfired with cci stingers remington golden bullets and winchester super x with no malfunctions. Havent range tested it but thats what I call prompt turn around. So thumbs up for henry.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast