Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snow blowers

(Franklin County)

Question Snow blowers

My dad's back isn't quite up to the task of shoveling snow like it used to be, so my mom, my sister and I are all thinking about chipping in to buy my dad a snowblower for Christmas. None of us know anything at all about snowblowers, so I'm begun the process of researching them before we do any buying.

Who here has a snow blower? What do you think of yours? Are there any brands I should be looking at really closely? Brands that I should avoid? Are there certain features that are worth/not worth paying extra for? At the moment we think that a unit with lightness and manuverability through tight areas are more priorities than maximum snow moving capability, although we're not sure as we know nothing about these things...

Suggestions?

(Venango County)

Default Re: Snow blowers

I sell snowblowers, man....
    couple quick questions.....
    Gravel....or Asphalt/Concrete.....
    how much area.......
    big driveway.......mostly sidewalks.......
    Gimme a little more info, and I'll steer you right

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Franklin County)

Mostly sidewalks. First we have to clear the concrete public sidewalk in front of our house. If I had to guess I'd say it's probably 8 ft wide, and maybe 50-60 ft long. Coming off of that front public sidewalk then we have a much narrower concrete sidewalk that goes up to the front door and also snakes from the front sidewalk all the way around the side of the house out back to the garage. That sidewalk is very narrow, probably 2 feet wide at most. Then we have an asphault driveway in the back behind the garage. It's a two car garage with a very short driveway right in front of an alley. I'm not going to venture any numbers but the drive driveway is is big enough to accomodate 3 cars side by side.

I think we want something that is narrower and more manuverable for the narrow sidewalk that goes around the house, rather than a super-wide monster that can plow a whole driveway in just a few passes. Anything is going to be an upgrade over busting ass for hours at a time with the shovel.
    Last edited by Cheeseybacon; November 14th, 2007 at 01:07 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I bought a Troy Built a few years back (around $600). Runs great year after year. Don't skimp: get at least 5 HP, 2 stage, electric start, 4 stroke, at least 6 forward and 2 reverse, all wheel drive, 24" minimum clearing width with at least 21" intake. For off season add some gas stabilizer and run it for 5-10 minutes before you put it away for the year. BTW, buy it now before the rush. Try SAM's club for a good price, Sears, HomeDepot, etc are a bit steep.

Mine: http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/s...7692&langId=-1

Hawk,
    Last edited by Hawk; November 14th, 2007 at 01:45 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

The wife is my snow blower now. I get tired of doing all that work by hand.

Only problem with my model is that it chatters a lot and rarely does an effective job. Might upgrade eventually.....

(Oh man is she gonna kill me if she logs on)

(Allegheny County)

When I lived in Chicago I had a Troy Bilt snowblower. It would go thru any kind of snow when my neighbors machine wouldn't.

It also cost $1,000.00 but it was worth every penny when you got a foot of wet snow.
    Last edited by DaveM55; November 14th, 2007 at 04:35 PM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I bought a Troy Built a few years back (around $600). Runs great year after year. Don't skimp: get at least 5 HP, 2 stage, electric start, 4 stroke, at least 6 forward and 2 reverse, all wheel drive, 24" minimum clearing width with at least 21" intake. For off season add some gas stabilizer and run it for 5-10 minutes before you put it away for the year. BTW, buy it now before the rush. Try SAM's club for a good price, Sears, HomeDepot, etc are a bit steep.

Mine: http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/s...7692&langId=-1

Hawk,
    I think you read my mind! I was looking at the same model at Lowes:
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...711&lpage=none

As is typical, Sears seems to also have what appears to THE EXACT same model, but is charging $50 more for the Craftsman name:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07188355000P?

I just bought this one last week Troy-Bilt 9.5-HP 28" Two-Stage Snow Thrower at Lowes.
    Its BIG. Started up no problem. Wheels pretty good. About a grand with tax and delivery from the store.
    Now we just wait for the snow!

(Westmoreland County)

My folks sell these sorts of things also, they're in Centre County. I'd suggest against buying from Lowe's simply because of service and repairs. They generally contract out to other local places and, as always, the low bidder gets the contract.

I can put you in touch with them if you're interested.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon View Post
    I think you read my mind! I was looking at the same model at Lowes:
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...711&lpage=none

As is typical, Sears seems to also have what appears to THE EXACT same model, but is charging $50 more for the Craftsman name:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07188355000P?
    Sears will match prices and take 10% off...

if you do cash, you can usually get the current financing deal as well, without the financing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast