Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Applying for out of state permit

Hi all,

I am apply for a non residents North Dakota permit. I have to get the form signed by the sheriffs office. Do I just goto the Allegheny office or must I make an appointment?

I am unsure as to how this works and all help is appreciated.

Default Re: Applying for out of state permit

I don't know, but looking at the ND website, you are required to take a course in ND to be eligible to apply...are you aware of that?

All applicants must successfully complete a written test, administered by a person certified by the Attorney General. In addition, applicants for a Class 1 license must show familiarity with the weapon, and complete classroom instruction and proficiency testing.

<SNIP>

Testing Requirements, Fees, and Test Administrator Information

* Only test administrators certified by the Attorney General may conduct testing. Many law enforcement agencies throughout North Dakota have officers who can conduct the tests. A list of certified test administrators is posted on this page, or you can contact your local law enforcement agency for information on test administrators in your area.

* Certified test administrators

* All testing and classroom instruction must be completed within the State of North Dakota. The maximum fee a test administrator may charge is fifty dollars ($50).

(Adams County)

I would go to the office in person and ask to make the appointment and tell them what for. Who knows, the Sheriff may be in and willing to sign right then.

(Bucks County)

If i recall correctly...the sheriff in question is meant to be a ND sheriff....

I searched around the site I linked to above and could find anything clear about non-residents getting the app. signed by their home state-county sheriff or chief.

So, it would seem, that you DO get it signed by your home state sheriff or chief???

I'd say, if anyone is interested, just give 'em a call and ask:

Bureau of Criminal Investigation
    PO Box 1054
    Bismarck ND 58502
    701 328-5500
    800 472-2185

2. Once testing is completed, the application must be approved by the Sheriff in the
    county in which applicant resides. If the applicant lives in a city with a police
    department, the application also must be approved by the Police Chief.

(Chester County)

It gets worse - the sheriff signing the application must conduct a background check! Also if the city of residence has a Police Chief then he ALSO must sign off. Doesn't sound like it too easy for a non-resident.

NDCC 62.1-04-03. (Effective through June 30, 2011) License to carry a firearm or dangerous weapon concealed.
    1. The director of the bureau of criminal investigation shall issue a license to carry a firearm or dangerous weapon concealed upon review of an application submitted to the director by a resident or nonresident citizen of the United States if the following criteria are met:
    d. The applicant has the written approval for the issuance of a license from the sheriff of the applicant's county of residence, and, if the city has one, the chief of police or a designee of the city in which the applicant resides. The approval by the sheriff may not be given until the applicant has successfully completed a background investigation in that county and has successfully completed the testing procedure conducted by a certified firearm or dangerous weapon instructor. The person conducting the testing may assess a charge of up to fifty dollars for conducting this testing. The attorney general may certify a firearm or dangerous weapon instructor based upon criteria and guidelines prescribed by the director of the bureau of criminal investigation.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Yes it is your home sheriff, I know about the requirements. Thanks for the help guys anyone know of anyone doing this with the Allegheny sheriff before. I rang them and they said it was a psp thing....

Thanks

I'm guessing that you're considering this because you're under 21. If that is the case, you should investigate the "Maine then New Hampshire" route. As I understand it both issue to 18 year olds. Maine does not have PA reciprocity, and NH issues only if you have a license from any other state.

Why not just get a Florida or Utah permit? Both are recognized in North Dakota.

Quote Originally Posted by wecroft View Post
    Why not just get a Florida or Utah permit? Both are recognized in North Dakota.
    And you don't have to travel 1500 miles or so to apply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast