Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Exclamation No, there's no need to carry at the polls.

Shots fired near two North Side polling places
    Tuesday, November 02, 2010
    By Sadie Gurman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Tensions were high after a pair of teens exchanged gunfire between two North Side polling places this afternoon, an incident that startled voters but apparently was not Election Day-related.

Voters inside the Truck 34 fire station on Woods Run Avenue said they waited behind locked doors after they heard as many as eight gunshots about 3 p.m. coming from nearby Mitchell Street.

A poll worker said she immediately locked the doors and called 911.

Bob Kinslow, 52, said he cast his vote and waited about five minutes before officials let him leave.

Meantime, police said, two juveniles ran into a house in the 3200 block of Central Avenue, about a block from Truck 34 and just doors down from another polling place inside a Knights of Columbus hall. Voters there waited inside for more than an hour while the city's SWAT team arrived and surrounded the house.

Two young men surrendered peacefully, and the SWAT team went inside the home, where they recovered two handguns, Lt. Larry Scirotto said. One of the guns was reported stolen, and police were trying to learn more about the second weapon.

Lt. Scirotto said the shooting had nothing to do with voting taking place nearby, and no one was hurt. Police were also seeking information about a dark-colored Jeep Cherokee that witnesses said fled the scene.

The teens names were not released.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: No, there's no need to carry at the polls.

LOL, that's the perfect reason for a federal ban on carrying at poll places, Silly

Every place a bad guy shoots a gun is an opportunity to make that place off limits for guns*

*Note: The law will not actually apply to bad guys that want to use a gun for illegal and violent purposes. They will get probation.

(Franklin County)

Bob Kinslow, 52, said he cast his vote and waited about five minutes before officials let him leave.
    "Let him leave"? I'd probably chalk this up as incomplete or incorrect info in the newspaper, but...

If there's a "problem with a gun" on the outside of a polling place, and anyone attempts to forcibly restrain me from leaving at my discretion, there's likely going to be a "problem with a gun" inside the polling place too. Kidnapping is statutory justification for the use of deadly force.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    "Let him leave"? I'd probably chalk this up as incomplete or incorrect info in the newspaper, but...

If there's a "problem with a gun" on the outside of a polling place, and anyone attempts to forcibly restrain me from leaving at my discretion, there's likely going to be a "problem with a gun" inside the polling place too. Kidnapping is statutory justification for the use of deadly force.
    Well put. Rep sent.
    I am the master of the past and present.. my coming was foretold. For me, the gates will be open. - Raistlin Majere

(Allegheny County)

Curious, how would you guys handle this if you were at one of the places nearby?

(Franklin County)

I'd leave the area as quickly as possible, in the opposite direction of the disturbance.

This idea of hovering in place when shit starts to go down is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not saying you should blindly run outside, but waiting for a voting official to tell you it's "ok to leave"? Seriously? This isn't kindergarten.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Indiana County)

Gunfight between two teens never happened.

Teens aren't allowed to carry guns.

Plus, doesn't Pittsburgh have an ordinance against discharging firearms within city limits?

(Washington County)

I think it would depend on how things go down. If it's as reported, I agree with gnbrotz. Get away from the noise while calling 911. If the conflict moves closer (like in the building) and you and/or others are in more direct danger, that's something else. Even then, in an environment like that where there are so many people, the potential for colateral injury is too high. Still, I'd have my gun out, close to me in one hand, thumb resting on the safety and the other on the phone calling 911. I wouldn't go looking to be a hero. Seeking out a scenario like that is the opposite of why we carry. That's more offence I think. Not defence.

This is just my imagination trying to paint a realistic picture of something I hope never happens. I am open to critique.
    It ain't the how much. It's where the how much is at.