Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lend your arms?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Lend your arms?

Theoretically say the police were under fire down the road from someone with an AR/AK would you lend them your AR/AK/Hunting Rifle?

I think I would. I know I may lose the weapon, but I'd like to think that maybe the cops would reciprocate the kindness and help that I gave them. I would feel terrible if one of them were killed when I could have lent them a rifle.

Would there be legal implications?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Lend your arms?

You could look forward to being sued by dead/maimed perpetrators or their family in addition to any innocent bystanders police may have accidentally shot. Police officers are protected because they did it in the execution of their duties.

Stay out of the way and let them grab their own rifles and heavier body armor and helmets from their trunks.

(Allegheny County)

If they were qualified on an AR15 they'd most likely have one in thier car already.

I'm not sure I'd loan them one of mine unless they were way out gunned like in the LA bank robbery.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

I'm sure the police would prefer that you stay out of it.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by jon'76 View Post
    Theoretically say the police were under fire down the road from someone with an AR/AK would you lend them your AR/AK/Hunting Rifle?

I think I would. I know I may lose the weapon, but I'd like to think that maybe the cops would reciprocate the kindness and help that I gave them. I would feel terrible if one of them were killed when I could have lent them a rifle.

Would there be legal implications?
    Yes I would. If it might mean that another LEO gets to go home, the chance that I may not get my rifle back is worth it.

I wouldn't get involved personally. But they could gladly have my weapon.

(I think he is thinking about the Bank Robbery where the LEO's went into a gun shop and got weapons. What if you were the only one around with some decent fire power? Yeah, I would give it up. I would have to take the chance on being sued to possibly save someones life.)
    Last edited by Mtbkski; November 13th, 2007 at 08:49 AM.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Jefferson County)

You can be sued for anything these days not matter how divorced you are from the situation.

However there is no lending or transfer of a longarm - once the LEO's took possession of it, they own it during that period of possession and are responsible for their own actions. Since there is no law for or against loaning or transfers of privately owned longarms - commonlaw takes over, and that is "possession is 9/10 of the law" - thus they own it(without proper compensation to you though)..

If they need your rifle(s) that bad, they will commandeer them and you'll be in the the free & clear.

The "qualified" things is a crock though.. it takes no more qualifications to load, aim, and pull trigger of a AR-15 as it does for a shotgun. ...but I'm sure the sue happy bastards will find a way to twist it around.

(Monroe County)

Practical problem is you can not just run out of your house toward the police with your rifle in your hands. You will be just another target at that point!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by wewo View Post
    Practical problem is you can not just run out of your house toward the police with your rifle in your hands. You will be just another target at that point!

Yeah... definitely a good thing to point out. lol

(Bucks County)

Definitely not. Once the police are there, it's their problem. Unless I notice they are seriously unprepared to deal with the active shooter, I'm staying out. I'm staying behind cover until they deal with it, as I don't wear body armor, and don't get qualified immunity.

If you do loan your firearm to the officer, you'll probably never see it again, as it will become evidence after that.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Philadelphia County)

I don't care if lending my firearms will save the lives of 1,000 babies. I am NOT lending my firearms out to any police force under any circumstances. (unless they have lots of cash )

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast