Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default THE BRIAN LENTZ COMMERCIAL QUESTION

im sure you've seen it (20 times a day) the one with the uzi?
    my question is, what is the florida loop hole?
    FJB

(Bucks County)

Default Re: THE BRIAN LENTZ COMMERCIAL QUESTION

I could be wrong, but I believe they are referring to being able to get a non resident Florida carry permit (license? What is it in Florida?) and use it in Pennsylvania.

-Zach

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    im sure you've seen it (20 times a day) the one with the uzi?
    my question is, what is the florida loop hole?
    The Florida loophole is much like the gunshow loophoole, a fabrication of the anti-gun media and politicans.

A person can be denied a LTCF in Pa. on "character" this leaves an out when for example the Philidelphia PD don't want you to have a LCTF, but you are not prohibited by your lack of a criminal record, so they deny it because when you came in they didn't like something about your "character" maybe your hair was too long, they don't like tats, whatever. So you apply for a Fla. non-res license. Florida does the background check, finds you are not a prohibed person and issues the LTCF. OMG another "bad" person can carry a gun, the reality is another citizen is granted permission to exercise a right. In short the whole Florida loophole thing is a manufactured problem the left is using to try to demonize legal conceiled carry by law abiding citizens who are being discriminated aginst by the powers that don't want us to be armed.

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe they are referring to being able to get a non resident Florida carry permit (license? What is it in Florida?) and use it in Pennsylvania.
    It's called a "Concealed Weapon or Firearm License." Mine is in my wallet next to my LTCF, and allows me to carry in Ohio and Delaware, which an LTCF doesn't . I'm sure that the vast majority of the "claimed" 3000 Pennsylvanians with Florida licenses have it for the additional reciprocity and also have an LTCF. Lentz fabricated the imaginary "loophole" thing because he needed a campaign issue -- and seems to have done a pretty good job of selling this nonsense, most recently with a pile of cash from Bloomberg.

(Montgomery County)

i like how they call the uzi pistol an assault rifle. this guy is the biggest tool bag around. where can any CONVICTED FELON get a CCW or LTCF?? it really suck when instead of really liking a politician you're forced to just pick the you dislike slightly less than the really bad canidate.

That commercial is nonsense in multiple ways:

1- An Uzi is not an "assault rifle", so the first sentence is factually incorrect. Anyone able to lawfully acquire an Uzi SMG has been investigated and anal-probed 6 ways from Sunday, so they are not part of the crime problem.

2- Even if the pictured Uzi "were" an assault rifle, that has nothing whatsoever to do with any license to carry handguns, in PA or Florida or anywhere. So the entire ad starts with a non-sequitur, like showing a picture of a hand grenade and than complaining about slow mail delivery.

3- The ad expressly says that "convicted criminals" are bypassing PA law and obtaining Florida licenses to carry. Well, if you consider a speeding citation to be a "crime", then maybe. But all serious criminal convictions are prohibitors under PA law, Florida law, and Federal law, so getting that Florida license won't do squat for you if you're legally prohibited from even owning a gun, much less carrying one. And Florida will deny you just as fast as PA will for a conviction.

4- In related ads, the same people claim that "violent criminals" are getting Florida licenses. That's simply bullshit. Being accused of a crime is not being convicted of a crime, for any governmental purpose. Before you're deprived of any fundamental right, like the right to keep and bear arms, you're entitled to due process. For crimes, that means a trial. If that trial results in an acquittal, then you're not a criminal at all, much less a "violent criminal".

5- The only people who jump through the hoops and get Florida licenses to carry are the honest folks. I can say this without fear of being contradicted: Those drug-dealing teenagers that fill up the crime reports are not obtaining FL licenses. Convicted felons are not obtaining them. Nor are people with misdemeanor convictions for domestic violence, or people who were committed to mental hospitals for serious insanity issues, or ex-military who were discharged under dishonorable conditions, or people with active restraining orders.

These political hacks are simply lying to the public, because they expect to get away with it. The media are letting them slide. It's only on the Internet that you can see the truth, and look up the statutes yourself, and review the news reports and see that we don't have an epidemic of Florida permitees running amok in PA.

There was ONE shooting in front of a guy's house, who had a Florida permit because the Philly cops denied him despite being too incompetent to convict him of anything; and his "victim" was a car thief in the act of breaking into cars. And we should note that the "PICS loophole" allowed him to purchase guns in PA quite legally, because the PPD boneheads never gathered enough evidence to convict him of anything.

What Philly needs is some sort of system to catch bad people, prosecute them and convict them, instead of giving it a half-hearted effort and then spitefully denying permits when they lose. CONVICT your criminals, don't just HARASS them, Philly PD. Does anyone think that allowing actual criminals to wander around free and unconvicted is OK, as long as we deny them a license to carry concealed? Seriously? Is that the best use of tax dollars in a big city these days?
    Last edited by GunLawyer001; October 31st, 2010 at 05:07 PM.

character clause, sounds like discrimination to me.
    as for the uzi, my dealer told me the atf classifies my mac f/a w/collapsible stock a rifle but he doesnt have to write that on the form, he just wrote machine gun.
    so in theory, the commercial could be right. for once.. naahhh
    FJB

. . . my dealer told me the atf classifies my mac f/a w/collapsible stock a rifle but he doesnt have to write that on the form, he just wrote machine gun.
    so in theory, the commercial could be right. for once.. naahhh
    Nope. There is nobody with any credibility who classifies an Uzi SMG as "an assault rifle". The Uzi carbine with a 16" barrel is a rifle under Federal and PA law. The SMG is a "firearm" under PA law, and a "machinegun" under federal law.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Nope. There is nobody with any credibility who classifies an Uzi SMG as "an assault rifle". The Uzi carbine with a 16" barrel is a rifle under Federal and PA law. The SMG is a "firearm" under PA law, and a "machinegun" under federal law.

he told me it was basically a short barreled rifle, but being a machine gun overrides the sbr.

im just telling you what "your friend" told me
    FJB

he told me it was basically a short barreled rifle, but being a machine gun overrides the sbr.

im just telling you what "your friend" told me
    That's right that it would be an SBR in the absence of being an SMG, but the word "rifle" has no application in any legal or practical sense to an Uzi SMG. And anyone with a tax stamp for an Uzi SMG is squeaky-clean as far as the FBI is concerned, and I trust the FBI more than I trust the Philly PD.

The overriding fact is that there's nothing that Florida can do to put an Uzi SMG (or a Colt revolver) in the hands of a prohibited person. The law forbids possession by felons and other convicted criminals, whether that possession is on the street, in the house, at a target range...anywhere art all. If you can't pass PICS or NICS, you can't touch a gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast