Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Snyder County)

Default Could I reaaaaally go to jail over this?

I like odd and interesting things and found this Glock 19 magazine at the York gun show yesterday. What makes me wonder about this magazine, why would they imprint Restricted LE/Gov't only on it since I can not see any difference between it and the standard one?

The photo below is just a pic of the standard mag, the gov't mag and the 10 round mag...

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Could I reaaaaally go to jail over this?

I've had guns that said that too. you're fine.That is mostly for nanny states that don't allow their sheep to have more than a certain number of rounds, but their cops can.

(Westmoreland County)

I think most high capacity magazines made between 94 and 04 for use in the U.S. were marked that way due to the Assault Weapons Ban... they are ok for you to use now. Could be wrong... someone will chime in with more knowledge.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    I've had guns that said that too. you're fine.That is mostly for nanny states that don't allow their sheep to have more than a certain number of rounds, but their cops can.
    Ah... that makes perfect sense. Thanks! I was more joking about the jail part although in this world, anything is possible. I do wonder how much our gov't had to pay for these specially stamp magazines...

(Montgomery County)

Nic is right. The 1994 Assault Weapons Ban outlawed any magazine over 10 rounds. A magazines that were more then 10 rounds and sold to LE agencies had to be marked such. This lame ass ban expired in 2004 and the point is moot currently. Think of it as a reminder to stay vigilant and not let your government restrict absurd things like magazine capacity.

On a side note, the 10 round magazine ban did very interesting thing in the world of firearms, it popularized really powerful handgun cartridges. People figured, if I can only have ten in a magazine it might as well be the most powerful 10 I can find. A major resurgence in the .45 ACP happened, the .40 S&W became very popular and the 9mm fell a bit to the wayside in personal defense.

If you are not really aware of the gun control idiots, these videos may help:

hope this helps understand
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Monroe County)

True, but some stuff is still being marked this way brand new. My Colt LE6940 said "law enforcement/military only" on the side and it was just made within the last couple years. I believe it mostly applies to certain states with capacity issues now days.

(Jefferson County)

Regardless of how they are marked, only a law that prohibits possession could send you to jail. ...and since the federal law expired, and PA doesn't have a law against them - they are legal in PA.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Cool Re: Could I reaaaaally go to jail over this?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    If you are not really aware of the gun control idiots, these videos may help:

hope this helps understand
    Oh, thank you so much for posting that. I think I threw up a little. Unbelievable jackasses!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delerius View Post
    I like odd and interesting things and found this Glock 19 magazine at the York gun show yesterday. What makes me wonder about this magazine, why would they imprint Restricted LE/Gov't only on it since I can not see any difference between it and the standard one?
    Sure, you could really go to jail over this. In Philly. Several other jurisdictions in PA, regions containing police departments notorious for confiscating firearms without RAS of criminal activity afoot and then RAS that the detainee is both armed and dangerous, going as far as to use the record of sale database as an ownership registry, may, while not putting you in jail, confiscate your magazine (and maybe your LTCF or other state license/permit) because they think or want it to be illegal for you to possess it.

Of course, due process requires fair notice, which has been boiled down to describing the prohibited conduct in law and its punishment, and so you would look at the law and not the magazine for the proscription.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    True, but some stuff is still being marked this way brand new. My Colt LE6940 said "law enforcement/military only" on the side and it was just made within the last couple years. I believe it mostly applies to certain states with capacity issues now days.
    the Colts are marked like this if they are in AW configuration.

the reason for this is that Colt, as part of an agreement for CT to bail them out of going under in 1992, agreed not to sell "Assault Weapons" to "civilians".

thus, the LE versions continued to be called "AR-15" and the civilian models got called "Match Target" and beginning with the AW ban in 1994, all LE only guns were marked as you quoted.

distributors are not supposed to sell these LE marked guns to gun shops, but they do, and its not illegal.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast