Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Visiting Gettysburg - need info

I will be down in the Gettysburg area in the not too distant future for work for a couple days. While I realize that there is a lot to do w/ the park and the historic background for the area, what else would you all recommend for someone to do who is in town for a couple of days but, will only have evenings free to do stuff?

Can you recommend

1. Any good gunshops where a guy could find an inexpensive, used .30-30 or handgun?

2. Any good, independant book stores?

3. Any good restaurants? (I'm partial to Asian and Italian food but, will eat most anything)

4. Any GOOD tourist traps? (I gotta bring home a souvenir for the kids.)

5. Anything else that is unique to the area? (Worlds largest ball of yarn, etc.)

Thanks (and feel free to PM me)
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Visiting Gettysburg - need info

I was just there last week for a couple of days. The Regimental Quartermaster is down there. They had some reproduction and antique muskets there. On that same street there is a book store and an armory but it is mostly non-firing replicas and some swords/knives. There is also a Friendly's on that road. If you go to the visitor's center in the park and a get a ticket for the museum there is a computer in there where you can look up all of the monuments in the park by regiment.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    I was just there last week for a couple of days. The Regimental Quartermaster is down there. They had some reproduction and antique muskets there. On that same street there is a book store and an armory but it is mostly non-firing replicas and some swords/knives. There is also a Friendly's on that road. If you go to the visitor's center in the park and a get a ticket for the museum there is a computer in there where you can look up all of the monuments in the park by regiment.
    Thanks for the Regimental Quartermaster reminder. I ran across that site a while back when someone here mentioned an Enfield pattern cartridge box and I had to look it up. That's worth an evening right there if they're open.

(Adams County)

There is so much to do in Gettysburg that it's hard to list. For asian food, the Mayflower buffet is pretty good. It's near the Friendly's in Steinweir Ave. Good food and a great price. Appallachian Brewing Company is good too if you like good beer.

As far as tourist traps, that's the whole town.

There is a military history museum on Baltimore St at the south end of town. I haven't been there, but I'm told that it's pretty neat.
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. Hippie and 3%er.

(Bedford County)

I think there is going to be a gun and memorabilia show there next weekend. I seen this on another forum that is down right now. From what I understand there will be Civil War, WW I, and WW II stuff there.
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Any good gunshops where a guy could find an inexpensive, used .30-30 or handgun?
    Reddings Hardware is the classic gun shop. Shopping is difficult only because the place is literally jammed with guns. New, used. In racks on the floor, on the wall, in display cases, hanging from the ceiling, and probably other places. Ammo stacked in cases on the floor. Grand total of 3 or 4 parking places in front too.

Just ask the staff and they can find just about anything. I try to visit every time thru, which is a couple of times a year as my daughter goes to Gettysburg College. (They close at 1500 on Saturday, so plan accordingly.)

-- Chuck

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
    Reddings Hardware is the classic gun shop. Shopping is difficult only because the place is literally jammed with guns. New, used. In racks on the floor, on the wall, in display cases, hanging from the ceiling, and probably other places. Ammo stacked in cases on the floor. Grand total of 3 or 4 parking places in front too.

Just ask the staff and they can find just about anything. I try to visit every time thru, which is a couple of times a year as my daughter goes to Gettysburg College. (They close at 1500 on Saturday, so plan accordingly.)

-- Chuck
    Well, I was there Monday - Wednesday. Nice little town. I got about 20 minutes of a tour of some of the battlefield by one of my students before it got dark the second evening. I made it into the Regimental Quartermaster about 15 minutes before it closed on the first night. Just long enough to grab a souvenire for the wife and kids.

I was told to go to Reddings but, they close at 5 pm so, the only day that I had time to do that was on Wednesday. Since I was on the clock, I beat feet back to the office instead (stupid moral compass.)

Definitely need to do another trip down that way with the family. Especially since I found out that one of the guys that I've known for years is in a class to become a licensed battlefield guide.

Thanks for all the help.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Well, I was there Monday - Wednesday. Nice little town. I got about 20 minutes of a tour of some of the battlefield by one of my students before it got dark the second evening. I made it into the Regimental Quartermaster about 15 minutes before it closed on the first night. Just long enough to grab a souvenire for the wife and kids.

I was told to go to Reddings but, they close at 5 pm so, the only day that I had time to do that was on Wednesday. Since I was on the clock, I beat feet back to the office instead (stupid moral compass.)

Definitely need to do another trip down that way with the family. Especially since I found out that one of the guys that I've known for years is in a class to become a licensed battlefield guide.

Thanks for all the help.
    Licensed battlefield guide?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Licensed battlefield guide?
    My understanding is that the National Parks Service requires licensure based on demonstrating a proficiency of required knowledge. This keeps the information that is being disseminated consistant and factual.