Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Paperwork, Registration, and the Constitution

I'm just wondering where you guys stand on all this paperwork that's required to purchase guns and it's relationship to the Constitution.

I've got my CCW (from FL) and I own a few guns; but I'm really wondering how it all fits into the government's ability to track me down and identify everything I've got.

I'm not sure it's what the founding fathers had in mind.
    "Legalize the Constitution!"

Default Re: Paperwork, Registration, and the Constitution

Although I believe that any form of gun ban or gun restriction is unconstitutional, I also do not have a problem with reasonable measures to prevent people that shouldn't have guns from getting them. So I guess, in short, yes I believe gun registration is wrong when it comes to law abiding American Patriots. But I don't have a problem with them stopping criminals and crazies from having them. Just my thoughts.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Columbia County)

I think you'd be hard pressed to find many here that would disagree with you on this subject. We don't actually have a registration in PA, but the PA State Police's illegal firearms purchase database is pretty damn close. Background checks, LTCFs, etc. etc. are clearly against both the U.S. constitution and the PA constitution.

(Bucks County)

I support background checks, but only because they don't keep criminals in jail anymore. With all the "catch and release" stuff going on, you never know who is walking around the streets.

(Lehigh County)

And I think you guys really hit the nail on the head. I mean, I know I've had this conversation a thousand times and I'm sure you guys do too, but these registration requirements DON'T STOP CRIMINALS FROM BUYING GUNS. I mean, it's getting laughable at this point.

So the issue (IMO) isn't whether these restrictions and requirements are "reasonable" to us law-abiding gun enthusiasts, it's whether it's "reasonable in relation to the effect on crime". In which case, I think it fails the reasonability standard.

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    I support background checks, but only because they don't keep criminals in jail anymore. With all the "catch and release" stuff going on, you never know who is walking around the streets.
    Agree. And I'm still shocked at how the VIOLENT criminals are let out after such short prison sentences.
    "Legalize the Constitution!"

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by thekino View Post
    And I think you guys really hit the nail on the head. I mean, I know I've had this conversation a thousand times and I'm sure you guys do too, but these registration requirements DON'T STOP CRIMINALS FROM BUYING GUNS. I mean, it's getting laughable at this point.

So the issue (IMO) isn't whether these restrictions and requirements are "reasonable" to us law-abiding gun enthusiasts, it's whether it's "reasonable in relation to the effect on crime". In which case, I think it fails the reasonability standard.

Agree. And I'm still shocked at how the VIOLENT criminals are let out after such short prison sentences.
    Even if it did stop criminals from buying guns, it's still unconstitutional. That fact that it doesn't stop them is just icing on the cake for our cause.