Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Recommendations on a .380

I'm lloking for .380 caliber pistol for personal protection and something that the wife won't be intimdated to shoot.

What do you guys suggest? I have a PT 111 in 9 mm now along with a 1911 in 45 caliber.

Thanks

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Recommendations on a .380

Bersa Thunder 380. $200 of reliable happiness. They are modeled after the Walther PPK series, except you don't get hammer and slide bite like you can with the Walthers.

They even make a 15+1rnd wide-body version now too - not just the 7+1rnd of prior.

Hokkmike Guest

I have a Bersa Thunder in .380. It is probably the most comfortable I have shot in .380. It is a surprisingly perky little gun.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by flattopjohnny View Post
    I'm lloking for .380 caliber pistol for personal protection and something that the wife won't be intimdated to shoot.
    my only suggestion is to have her shoot one (meaning the specific model she is thinking of buying) before buying it. just because it is a .380 doesn't mean it won't have a nasty kick.

my brother-in-law has a little all steel .380. i hate shooting that thing. because it is so small and light...and because steel transfers the energy to your hand more than polymer...it actually "bites" much worse than my 10mm glock 20.

the .380 is much more painful to shoot a large number of rounds through (which is a combination of the fact that it is so light and too small for may hands...your wife prolly won't have the latter problem, though).

(Philadelphia County)

I have a Bersa 85 in .380, its a great little gun, and I can make 10 headshots at 55 feet with it shooting at a good speed.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

Bersa sounds like a good choice.

Kel Tec P3AT is TINY, but the recoil is a bit harsh. I want one, but wouldn't recommend one for your wife unless she has a chance to shoot one first to see if she is willing to accept that amount of recoil.

With the larger guns/grips, the recoil is more manageable, thus more pleasant to shoot.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Pike County)

I have the Bersa Thunder 380, it is a very under rated and well manufactured pistol.

Compared to the PPK, it is very comparable in size and a little lighter. Both shoot similarly with little muzzle flip, so recovery between shots is minimal. I’ve run at least 4000 rounds through my t380 and I haven’t had any problems with it. Pick up a couple of extra magazines! BTW, the Bersa handles hollow points better than the PPK.

My Kel-Tec P3AT is light weight and small and easily hides in the pocket, but because it’s so lightweight it kicks like a mule. Not nearly as accurate as the Bersa.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid-a-hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Wayne - The Shootist

Many of the truths we cling to... depend greatly on our own point of view. - Obi-Wan Kenobi

(Allegheny County)

What do you guys suggest? I have a PT 111 in 9 mm now along with a 1911 in 45 caliber.

Thanks

You stated personal protection. Are you going to carry it, or is your wife, or is it for in the home? I like the Bersa except for the long trigger reach for DA and the cost of 380 ammo over 9MM (depends on how much you plan on shooting it I guess). Make sure your wife can rack the slide!!!!

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Chester County)

Thanks
    I'm overstepping, but I would consider something other than .380.

Why?

The .380 isn't as effective, regardless of platform, as the 9mm or .38 Special.

The recoil of many .380s is equal to, if not greater than, most 9mm autos as the .380 (with rare exception) is blowback operated rather than locked breech. Blowback kicks more. Many of the .380s I've fired (other than the Colt Mustang/Pony) series kicked more than similarly sized 9mm guns.

Most .380s are, for the most part, due to their small size, more difficult for a novice to shoot quickly and accurately than a 9mm or .38 revolver.

Most .380s are not as reliable (due to slide velocity and design) as most 9mms and are usually more fragile.

.380 ammo is more expensive than 9mm.

I don't want to sound like I'm .380 bashing -- I like the caliber for a holdout or second gun, just not for a primary piece for a novice.

If you want an unintimidating gun for her to get used to shooting, start her out on a .22 auto, and then transition her to a Glock 19, or some other mid-sized 9mm.

That said, if you must go with .380, look into a Colt Mustang, Colt Pony, or Sig 232.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

I had a Sig 232. I sold it to buy a fishing kayak. Dumbest move ever. I then bought a Kel Tec P3AT. Oh boy. I don't want a pistol that "can only shoot this ammo or that ammo", or needs the popular Kel Tec "fluff and buff". All of that aside, it was very concealable. It was also TOO small for my large hands. I ditched it. I would check out the SIG. That is just my opinion.
    Jules

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast