Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default UPDATE: Remington Let Me Down

So, on Oct 11 I picked up a Remington 1911-R1. I brought it home to give it an initial cleaning and found that the slide stop would back out as the slide was racked. This caused the slide stop to jam up at the disassembly notch. Well, I called Remington, or rather E-RPC (the company contracted to build the 1911). I was told a new stop would be on it's way. Well, 9 days later I called again and was informed that the stop had not even been placed on order. OOPS! So, I angrily tell them to put the stop on order and ask if they can somehow expedite the process. Of course, that wasn't an option. So I'm told it will be another 10-14 days before I receive it. (GREAT!!!) So, 17 days later, I call again just to make sure everything is as it should be. Now I'm told my part isn't going to ship for ANOTHER week. So, by my best calculation it's going to be over 25 days from the time I called about the slide stop until I should receive it.

I told the rep from E-RPC that I was "rather unhappy" about the problems with my new gun. As a consolation for buying a gun from a company with inadequate QC and poor customer service I'll receive a Remington hat and decal.

Gee-whiz...aren't I lucky?!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: UPDATE: Remington Let Me Down

Thats really disappointing to hear. I own three remington guns, and fortunately I haven't had to test their customer service yet. Hopefully they eventually come through for you.

At least you had the 3rd part slide stop and you can keep on testing your Remington 1911 until the factory ss comes in. being a new product you may have settle for replacing more parts with 3rd party stuff. Usually 3rd party 1911 stuff is so plentiful and of good quality all you can look forward to is the gun getting better. I agree its too bad it didn't come from the factory that way.

Good luck and keep on shooting!!

(Westmoreland County)

I just think it's too bad that this is my first venture into the 1911 world. I was a Glock guy before this. I've but hundreds of rounds through mine with no trouble and I hear their customer service is top notch.

I find my 1911 to be more aesthetically pleasing than my Glock. I guess it's kinda' like the difference between renting an apartment and owning a home. Although renting requires little/no maintenance on your part, owning your own home gives you that warm and fuzzy...despite the constant upkeep. I guess the same can be said for the 1911. Warm and fuzzy, but a lot more time spent fixing it up until it's finally what you want.

(Lebanon County)

well, they brag about it having been 90something years since they last made a 1911. i say, it shows.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    well, they brag about it having been 90something years since they last made a 1911. i say, it shows.
    Here's a little something I found on the history of the 1911R1:
    "The first Remington-UMC produced 1911 pistols were delivered in August of 1918. On November 11, 1918, the Armistice ending WWI was signed and the contract from the Ordnance Department with Remington-UMC was suspended. In all, Remington-UMC produced 21,677 1911s"

I believe that Colt took over production when WWII hit, actually I believe it was Colt, GM, and a bunch of other makers...however Remington evidently didn't get picked by the Gov't to produce the WWII run of 1911's. Now we know why.

Like you said, 90-something years...and it shows.

(Lebanon County)

colt never stopped making the 1911/a1 till the end of the second war.
    other makers during the war.
    singer (sewing machines)
    remington rand(type writters)......not the same remington
    union switch and signal(railroad parts)..right here in pa.
    ithaca.
    springfield made replacement parts, but not complete pistols.
    Last edited by brian; October 30th, 2010 at 07:46 AM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by springfield24 View Post

I believe that Colt took over production when WWII hit . . . however Remington evidently didn't get picked by the Gov't to produce the WWII run of 1911's. Now we know why.
    Incorrect and irrelevant. Remington-UMC received contacts for M1903 (Modified) and M1903A3 rifles as well as parts for other weapons. That they were not awarded a contract for the M1911A1 has nothing to do with either the poor timing of the WWI Armistice cutting the 1918 M1911 contract short, or non-existent quality issues you are attempting to imply existed.

Like you said, 90-something years...and it shows.
    It is always disappointing to have high hopes about a new gun get dashed. My own experience was in 1993 with the purchase of a new Beretta 92FS. No matter the ammo, it shot low and left by 8"-10". Beretta USA wanted $45 to regulate the pistol so that it shot to POI at POA with commercial 115 gr ammo. I was extremely ticked off, sold the gun and six hi-cap mags to a dealer for $220 more than I paid for it a year later in Oct 1994 just after the AWB took effect. I was very vocal on a number of firearm forums regarding my experience. However, I found out that making a broad judgment about Beretta 92s based on one sample was unrealistic and facetious. The hundreds of people that of course knew better didn't take me seriously, and it damaged my reputation.

None the less, I had nothing to do with Beretta 92s until a few years ago when I had the opportunity to fire a friend's Italian 92F, and I found it to be laser-guided. I couldn't miss with it, and then he told me he wanted to sell it. I still have that gun, and picked up a few more 92 and 96 Berettas, all impressive tack drivers.

I can empathize and appreciate your disappointment with the R1. However, tarring all 1911s with the brush of one example with an apparent issue is unrealistic, and quite frankly, IMO puts you in an undeserved bad light with the third post of essentially the same info, with the update being the delayed shipment of the replacement slide stop. I'm not taking up for Remington's R1 1911 product. I'm not defending Remington's apparent Customer Support issues. I'm not taking up for the 1911 platform. I AM taking up for Springfield24. Please don't make the same mistake I did with the Beretta 92.

I offered to send you an aftermarket slide stop and the offer still stands, as I mentioned to you in a PM earlier this week, asking for your mailing addy. I'm now back home from the road and can get it mailed Monday by priority mail. You'd most likely have it Wednesday.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Westmoreland County)

Don't get me wrong guys. This gun is amazing. It shoots very well, and cycles ammo flawlessly. In fact, it shoots better than I do. I'm just really irritated by their customer service. But remember, this isn't Remington, it's E-RPC.

But I promise, this is my last post about their customer service. Once I hit 500 rounds I'll do a performance eval and let you guys know how it runs.

(Lycoming County)

After following this thread, I couldn't help but think "Why not get an after market slide stop and be done with it?" I have several of them in my parts box as well.
    Oh well we'll see how it all ends up.
    My Best, Walt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast