Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default What would you do?

I was just reading though PennsyPlinker's thread regarding the unsafe individual at Cabela's and it made me decide to post a recent encounter of my own. I was shooting with my brother at a local range this weekend, after we shot off a few boxes we were waited at the counter to check out. In front of us was a guy picking out a rental gun for his girlfriend to try, when the employee took the gun out of the display case he had it pointed directly at the head of another employee who was crouched down behind the counter looking for something. The employee who had the gun pointed at him saw it and said nothing and continued on with what he was doing. I was disturbed with his total disregard for safety but said nothing. I didn't recognize the employee and assumed he was new, the owner was there also but most likely didn't see this. I paid and we left. This bothered me after I left and I felt as though I should have spoke up. I shoot there often but not regularly enough to be known, I really enjoy shooting there and I do not know how it would have been received if I were to correct the staff on basic safety rules. So what would you have done? Would you be offended if some random jumped on you for an obvious safety infraction?

Default Re: What would you do?

Most people will be offended if you jump on them for a safety violation, even if you do it as diplomatically as possible. It is the truly mature who will accept and learn from it. Everyone fails at some point, everyone makes mistakes. It is admitting and accepting, learning from them and moving on that makes us mature.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it though. Someone's life could depend on your speaking up. It might not be for that particular instance, but actions become habit, and familiarity breeds contempt.

(Elk County)

I'll tell you what I did several years ago while at Grice's in Clearfield. I was looking at used handguns and a store clerk was farther down the row of display cases showing handguns to another customer. The clerk waiting on me was turned sideways to the display case, facing the other clerk and customer, with his head turned to me as we conversed.

Next thing, there's a red laser dot on my clerk's chest. The other clerk is pointing a laser-sighted handgun at my clerk. I went absolutely "Parris Island Senior Drill Instructor" on the clerk with the handgun, loud and clear, no uncertain terms. The only thing missing was my Class C uniform and campaign cover. The whole staff fell in front and center while I chapped that guy's ass.

That clerk absolutely avoided me like the plague each time I went in the store for as long as he worked there afterward, and could not have been happier.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

Do you know the owner, even just casually? If I was a customer there, I might discreetly take him aside and give him the "Listen, I like coming here, but I have some safety concerns about some of the shit I've seen, and as the owner I thought you should know" speech. If there's an incident, for sure he'll be sued and he knows it. You might be doing all concerned a favor.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I'll tell you what I did several years ago while at Grice's in Clearfield. I was looking at used handguns and a store clerk was farther down the row of display cases showing handguns to another customer. The clerk waiting on me was turned sideways to the display case, facing the other clerk and customer, with his head turned to me as we conversed.

Next thing, there's a red laser dot on my clerk's chest. The other clerk is pointing a laser-sighted handgun at my clerk. I went absolutely "Parris Island Senior Drill Instructor" on the clerk with the handgun, loud and clear, no uncertain terms. The only thing missing was my Class C uniform and campaign cover. The whole staff fell in front and center while I chapped that guy's ass.

That clerk absolutely avoided me like the plague each time I went in the store for as long as he worked there afterward, and could not have been happier.

Noah
    In all fairness, they train all they're clerks to avoid all potential customers at Grices. lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    In all fairness, they train all they're clerks to avoid all potential customers at Grices. lol
    Hahaha, seems that way doesn't it?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Traveler View Post
    Do you know the owner, even just casually? If I was a customer there, I might discreetly take him aside and give him the "Listen, I like coming here, but I have some safety concerns about some of the shit I've seen, and as the owner I thought you should know" speech. If there's an incident, for sure he'll be sued and he knows it. You might be doing all concerned a favor.
    Nah, I don't really know the owner, just small talk here and there while checking out guns or waiting for shooting lanes to open. I'm young (26) and I just assumed that if I were to correct any older guys, who've most likely been shooting more years then I've been alive, I would've ended up just being brushed off or at the least getting the stink eye anytime I go to shoot there. I'd probably speak up if I were to see anything like that happen again but hopefully it was just an isolated incident.

There is nothing wrong with politely pointing out to the clerk of his failed safety procedure. It doesn't need to be harsh or even public. People get shot when the Rules are broken. I'd say two were broken in that situation. The barrel was not pointed in a safe direction and the clerk did not know his target. Heads don't count as targets on ranges. If the clerk is any good at his job and of a mature reason he'll accept his mistake and thank you for pointing it out. If he's a know-it-all sort or unable to accept his irresponibility with grace and correctiveness, well, you did what was right and it's all you can do unless you want to ramp it up and inform the owner.

We all can make mistakes and often do, be it firearms or what have you. Having them pointed out in a non threatening way or without rancor goes a long way to a positive result. Go offensive and your most likely going to get defensive back at you. Go calm and discrete and it may take hold.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.