Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Chamber polishing

I have a yugo M48a in 8mm mauser. The fired cases have scratches on them. I marked a dummy cartridge so I would know which side was up. I thought the feed ramp might be scratching the cases. I checked it at a few points before closing the bolt and it had no scratches until I closed the bolt. I do not want to have a shortened case life from the scratches, which are deep enough to feel with a fingertip.

Is polishing the chamber something I can do with the barreled action removed or should I take it to a smith. If I can do it, is there a dremel attachment that will do the job? I can get the polishing compound from work that we use to put a mirror finish on the dies we use making tins(we make Altiods tins to name one everyone knows).

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Chamber polishing

You can do it from home, without removing the barrel..

I polish the chambers of ALL my guns.

Just remove the bolt, you may need a cleaning rod to use as an extension. Get some Flitz polish and a bore mop clean rod bit big enough in diameter to fill the chamber. Apply some compound to the bore mop and use a standard electric drill. Avoid the throat of the chamber near the rifling. Work the bit in/out some.

Dont go too crazy, you can oversize the chamber if you do. Thoroughly clean when done. Also, do not use a too abrasive compound. Flitz is perfect for gun work like this. No need to use super high RPMs either, just 200-1200RPM will work just fine.

This procedure will help fix sticking fired cases and will make future chamber clean-ups a breeze.
    Last edited by knight0334; October 28th, 2010 at 03:39 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!