Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New to Philly

(Philadelphia County)

Default New to Philly

hey I'm new to philly and I'm going to be able to get myself a few firearms this coming summer. So I was wondering if there were any good stores or clubs in Philadelphia where I can go and ask a bunch of questions and handle the various long guns to get a feel for what I'd like without bothering the owner. Basically I'm looking for a smaller and more personal type of store where the proprietor had the time to answer the questions I have about the rifles.

I have a small list and while I have the shotgun taken care of, I want to feel the rifles. The first rifle I want is a .22 as a plinking and training rifle, and I'm considering the savage mark II btvs, f, and bv; but I need to get a definite feel for it first to make sure it will fit me. The second is an ak clone mainly because I'm worried they may get banned after the coming election.

I just want to go somewhere where the people will have the time and desire to explain things to me and not just hustle me into buying his rifle.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: New to Philly

"SPAG", as it's called by the members here, has a decent selection, and you can rent guns and shoot them at their range upstairs. I'm not sure about rifles or shotguns but I know they rent handguns, they do allow you to fire rifles there.

PHILADELPHIA ARCHERY & GUN CLUB (<--- click there)

831-833 ELLSWORTH ST.

PHILADELPHIA, PA. 19147

215-551-4544
    Last edited by soberbyker; November 12th, 2007 at 06:14 AM.

(Bucks County)

Yes, go to SPAG, and for your purposes it's best to go on a weekday -- you'll have a lot more of their attention than on the crowded weekends.

There's a lot of us from the city here on PAFOA. Just read the threads and ask questions...by next summer you'll be a lot more comfortable buying.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Yes, go to SPAG, and for your purposes it's best to go on a weekday -- you'll have a lot more of their attention than on the crowded weekends.

There's a lot of us from the city here on PAFOA. Just read the threads and ask questions...by next summer you'll be a lot more comfortable buying.
    + 1 I can't agree more with SPAG it's a great place.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Is there a guide on buying an ak? I've been considering the wasr-10 and I've heard it's generally the best all around for the price, but of course it has it's detractors. I've also been told to get a Saiga rifle and then convert it to an ak, but I've heard it's not a traditional ak and thus requires more knowledge to alter; and I'd rather not have to modify anything serious myself.

Also I'm looking for a .22 rifle which would be my training and learning rilfe. I was thinking the savage mark II F or G or BV or BTVS; but I honestly don't know if the different rifles shoot better or if it's just wood stocks and finish that differs. Also though I really like the look of the btvs I don't know if I should have the fancy stock on the rifle that I intend to practice with all the time. Should I get a standard stock on my rifle and go with the BV or G, or should I go with the synthetic F, or should I go all out and get the BTVS?

I am a complete novice to rifles and I know virtually nothing about them minus the extreme basics. I know the different calibers (well the popular ones at least), that bolt action is more accurate than semi-auto, and that they're fun to shoot . So if anyone would be willing to direct me to some of the articles or threads regarding rifles, rifle shooting, or just their own personal experiences and knowledge that they feel would help me I'd be greatful. Thanks everyone.

Jon

(Luzerne County)

There's several huge AK threads, check under the Rifles section
    Beretta 9000s 9mm