Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default § 6106. Exception 13 Question

13.Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.

I did a search for this and couldnt find anything that answered my question. What is this exception saying exactly? I've read it but not sure of a situation that this is related too. Heres a try though:

Say im Driving in my truck, registered in my name, with my Father in the passenger seat (He HAS an LTCF but I DO NOT). Does this allow me to carry concealed while he is in the vehicle?

Just not sure.

Thanks in Advance
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32148&dateline=128288  0834

(Adams County)

Default Re: § 6106. Exception 13 Question

Your father would be ok to carry on his person. You personally cannot have a gun within reach. That is my take on it.

As understand it, the intent here is that if you (LTCF holder) leave a gun in your car and your spouse or child is driving it, they can't be charged. I think it was in response to an incident where an LTCF holder's daughter was driving her dad's car and he [stupidly, IMHO] had left a gun in the glove compartment.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by e7ats View Post
    Your father would be ok to carry on his person. You personally cannot have a gun within reach. That is my take on it.
    He would be able to Carry regardless because he possesses a LTCF. He wouldn't need this or any other exception in this case.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32148&dateline=128288  0834

(Philadelphia County)

Hmmm, so this is interesting. My wife could drive around in our car with a gun in it by virtue of the fact that I have my LTCF. Is that what this is saying?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    Hmmm, so this is interesting. My wife could drive around in our car with a gun in it by virtue of the fact that I have my LTCF. Is that what this is saying?
    that's...a really good question! My first reaction would be "no," because she would be intentionally carrying it in the car as opposed to you leaving it there by accident. she could also not remove it from wherever you stashed it, i think, because she would be then taking possession of the gun? i'm not sure i would risk it.

we need GL001's advice
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    No, not unless you are in the car with her.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by MischaBurns View Post
    My first reaction would be "no," because she would be intentionally carrying it in the car as opposed to you leaving it there by accident.
    I didn't notice anything in the quoted exception that limited it to a firearm being "accidentally" present, as opposed to intentionally. Am I missing something?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    No, not unless you are in the car with her.
    Based on what part of the quoted exception? If the LTCF holder/gun owner were in the vehicle, there would be no need for the exception in the first place.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by VinF88 View Post
    13.Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.
    Looks like the idea is that a LTCF holder can leave a firearm in the family car and let the spouse/kids drive with it there.

There's a bit of gibberish highlighted above, as licenses aren't issued for firearms, they're issued to people. Not unusual in legislation. Probably should have been
    who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent to whom a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 and which contains a firearm owned by the spouse or parent to whom the motor vehicle is registered.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast