Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default Sighting in a Marlin 1894 Cowboy

I took an iron sighted Marlin out to the range today for some tests. It is chambered for .44 magnum. The front sight is a simple dotted blade and the rear is the stock buckhorn with the incremental ramp under it.

Using Remington 240gr jacketed flat nosed rounds at 50 yds I was still 4 inches high at the lowest setting on the rear ramp. I'm wondering if I should try grouping a few rounds with a 300gr. bullet to see if the added weight will bring it down a bit or scrap the buckhorns and get a peephole or ghost ring. The other option of course is to leave it alone and try my hand at a max of 100 yds and then adjust my hunting shots accordingly.

While it is tapped for a scope I'd like to keep it with iron sights and mainly use it for those times when I'm brush hunting in the swamp and want a fast targetting under 50 yarder. If I scope it then I might as well just use my Remington 700 bolt. Another option would be to use the rifled slug gun I have I suppose.

Default Re: Sighting in a Marlin 1894 Cowboy

perhaps if you remove the rear ramp that will help. My 1894 in 44mag used to have the irons sighted using a 240gr handload however I replaced the rear sight with a peep from williams