Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Military Rifle of unknow origin

From what some of my responders have advised, it appears that I have a 99 Arisaka Japanese military rifle made bu Tokyo Juki Kogyo in the 1940-1945 time frame. One person sugested that it could be a last ditch version because of the shortened fore stock. In reading the input in that Arisaka forum I found one mention of a last ditch Arisaka that someone near him had. The article was titled Pawn Shop. I went there and found no further info. Does any one know if there was in fact a last ditch Arisaka type 99 that had the shortened fore stock?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rljohn357; October 30th, 2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Provide pictures

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Military Rifle of unknow origin

Quote Originally Posted by rljohn357 View Post
    I have a Military rifle that I wish to identify. It could be Japanese from the world war II era. It is bolt action. It has a magazine that looks like it would hold a small number of cartridges. (maybe 5) The bore diameter is about .34 inches. It has a flip up rear sight. With it down, it has an aperture rear sight. With up it is adjustable up to 1500 meters or so. It has the numbers 42871 stamped into it. There are also three symbols stamped on it. One is like a plus sign made up of joined small circles. Another is like a circle with three circles joining it. the third is a circle with something like two plus signs in side it. The external metal of the barrell etc is not smoothly finished. I could take a picture and add it to the post. Does anyone have any ideas about it.
    Arisaka?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arisaka

(Centre County)

Any of these symbols looks familiar? Could be an Arisaka, though I can't explain the caliber. I suppose it could have been re-barreled.

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

Between a rock and a hard place, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Sounds like a Japanese type 99 rifle. Pictures would confirm this guess. 42871 is probably the serial number. Bolt will have the last three digits (871) if it is the original bolt. The three circles joined together sounds like the Kokura factory. The other symbols I need to break out the reference books. If you can post some pictures that would be super.
    Last edited by egon12; October 25th, 2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Typed Nagoya instead of Kokura

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    I uploaded some pictures. Take another look. It sure looks similar to the picture you posted but does not have the long forestock. I looked at the wikipedia site and none of them are exactly what I have. What are your thoughts? Do you have a caliber in mind?
    Thanks
    rljohn357

Quote Originally Posted by egon12 View Post
    Sounds like a Japanese type 99 rifle. Pictures would confirm this guess. 42871 is probably the serial number. Bolt will have the last three digits (871) if it is the original bolt. The three circles joined together sounds like the Kokura factory. The other symbols I need to break out the reference books. If you can post some pictures that would be super.
    I uploaded some pictures. Please take another look. Do you know a caliber?

Thanks
    rljohn357

(Monroe County)

6.5 JAP
    Too bad the stock is cut down.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Montgomery County)

Sure looks like a Type 99, despite the odd stock. Caliber should be 7.7x58mm Arisaka, unless the caliber was changed. I can't find any examples online, but I swear I've seen a stock like that before, it could possibly be a "Last Ditch" Rifle. You should see if you can find someone who really knows Arisakas, maybe check with an Arisaka forum.

I inherited what looked to be a crude Mauser with a butchered stock from my Grandfather that several people told me was pretty much worthless...until I talked to a few Mauser experts. Turns out it was actually a somewhat rare and quite valuable "Last Ditch" version of the rifle.
    You called down the thunder, well now you've got it!

Between a rock and a hard place, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

What you have there is a sporterized 37th series Japanese type 99 rifle built by Tokyo Juki Kogyo Unfortunately it was sporterized sometime during the last 65 years by cutting down the stock and removing the handguard. It should be caliber 7.7 Japanese. There are a few companies that make ammo for it, (norma, Wolf gold) come to mind. If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by egon12 View Post
    What you have there is a sporterized 37th series Japanese type 99 rifle built by Tokyo Juki Kogyo Unfortunately it was sporterized sometime during the last 65 years by cutting down the stock and removing the handguard. It should be caliber 7.7 Japanese. There are a few companies that make ammo for it, (norma, Wolf gold) come to mind. If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.
    I added a picture of the symbol to the left of the serial number. Can you identify that to nail it down further.?

Thanks
    PS. Do you know any thing about a Hew Hitro shotgun?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast