Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Guns/Ammo stores a dying breed?

Ok, I'm starting to get alittle paranoid I guess but tell me I'm wrong. Where do we hunters/target shooters go for guns/ammo besides Gander Mountain? Dicks carries next to nothing anymore and dont even think of ther online store for Hunting its almost a joke.. i just hope they all dont follow Wally world and start dropping there Guns/ammo altogether! I'm putting my final faith in those brave souls who own private stores (Bob's, Edinboro, ans so forth) for my small choices in arms!
    Ron Paul for President! Save our US Constitution! Stop UN Control ~~

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Guns/Ammo stores a dying breed?

Quote Originally Posted by warren40cal View Post
    .. i just hope they all dont follow Wally world
    It's too late. They may not be following Wal-Mart step by step, but they are following along the same path. Bulk buying power gives them the leverage to undersell the private stores. John Q. public sees a chance to save a buck or 2 so he buys for the lower price. The private stores can't afford to loose that much business and close up shop. Now you're stuck with searching for and traveling to the few private businesses who manage to stay open, or you settle for what the big guys carry.
    Example: Try to find a 6-40 hardened machine screw at Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Home Depot...You can't get any closer than an 8-32 that's not much harder than aluminum. Try to find a set screw to replace that one you just lost from the lock ring on one of your reloading dies. The hardware store that went out of business when the big guys moved in had a rather large assortment of almost any machine screw and set screw you could want, now you're S.O.L. You could order the screw from an industrial supply company,...if you have use for 100 of them and don't mind paying the price plus shipping and waiting until next week to finish your repair job.

Now, when the big store decides to quit selling your favorite brand of ammo or gun, whatcha gonna do? Will they make a special order for you like the other guy did while he was still in business?

It's not too late to support the private shops and try to preserve what's left, it looks like that's our only hope.

(Erie County)

My thoughts exactly! I've been noticing this movement for sometime now , but its getting rather obvious today! I know years ago before big business moved in and took over everything there wasnt a problem having more choices in one neighborhood now, I gotta drive for miles to go get my ammo or choose a new handgun from Cabela's It absolutely breaks my heart!

(Erie County)

I've known Tom Mihalak out in Cranesville for over 30 years. Unless I need something the same day I order it through him. I've bought all my firearms that I've bought in PA through him, and the majority of my ammo. While I shop at Gander and other places I prefer to give him my business. I will buy clothes and such through Gander or Dicks and Gander's firearm department gives me a chance to check out a certain model at times but Tom has always done me right and I prefer to give bigger purchases to the little guys.

Edinboro Outdoors will beat Gander Mountain on almost every gun that is over two hundred dollars. Who wouldnt rather deal with Ken than some moron at Gander Mountain?
    Jules

(Erie County)

lol jules...I've been to edinboro and like the personal service you get but I have to admit I'll with whose got what i'm looking for and wont settle on a deal..I've heard about a place in waterford beaver valley guns? She has deals nobody can beat! I'm gonna have to venture out there and see this for myself.

(Susquehanna County)

I can't speak for for all of NEPA but Gander Mountain is the LAST place I would go to buy guns, ammo or components and Dick's might as well not exist.

I prefer to deal locally as much as possible, but I do take advantage of web-based outfits also for supplies that are impractical for my local dealers to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteJack View Post
    I've known Tom Mihalak out in Cranesville for over 30 years. Unless I need something the same day I order it through him. I've bought all my firearms that I've bought in PA through him, and the majority of my ammo. While I shop at Gander and other places I prefer to give him my business. I will buy clothes and such through Gander or Dicks and Gander's firearm department gives me a chance to check out a certain model at times but Tom has always done me right and I prefer to give bigger purchases to the little guys.
    I drive from Harborcreek to do business with Tom, doesn't bother me at all, I'd rather give my buisness to him as well...He is the man.

Call Beaver Valley and make an appointment as to when you'll be there other wise it's hit and miss. It's on Hull road, kind of out of the way...If you take old Rt. 19 past the fair grounds it's the first dirt road to the right, go up over the hill and down into the valley, it's on your left.

I'm happy you guys are posting about the stores here in Erie County. Keep em' coming.
    I have been to Edinboro Outdoors and although I LOVE the store, I don't like the service i've received. Well, lack of service. I won't be purchasing anything there anymore unless they become more "female friendly". I have been overlooked in that store way too many times because i'm female. I find that insulting. I've seen the way they treat male customers and believe me they treat me differently. I'm ignored. I can take my fist full of $100.00 dollar bills somewhere else. I give a big thumbs down for Edinboro Outdoors for female shoppers. This is my PERSONAL OPINION. Please no flaming me!
    I am looking for a store in the Erie area that will give me good service, and not discriminate against me.
    Keep the suggestions coming!

Out of any gun shop in Erie County my money and time will always go to Tom.
    You may have to wait a few minutes if he's taken care of someone but when your turn comes you have his undivided attention. Also after you go there once and introduce yourself he'll know you by name everytime you walk through his door.
    I bought the Tommy gun off him back in '96 & have never bought a gun at any other store, he'll order anything for you, ammo too...I order some of it 1000's at a time. This time of year though he is usually hunting so it's hit & miss. Unless they changed his hours are M-W-F 6-9pm, SAT 9-3. Call first.

There is Hill Top guns on Rt. 19 headed into Cambridge...never been there so I can't comment on what you may find, but I know he's been there for awhile.

*Edit* Ken (uncle sam/ediboro outdoors) has his own following, I guess he feels that's all he needs.
    Last edited by P89; November 12th, 2007 at 03:08 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast