Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Safe gun handling/cleaning classes?

I wish there was such a class. A class to teach about various semi pistols - how they work ie loading unloading and safe practices and what is a no no ie fingers over ejection port etc proper cleaning which is also extremely important for care of the gun. I am a newbie and have a few revolvers and also one Ruger Mark III semi which I am still learning about. I happen to be female but the class should be for anyone male or female.

I would love some hands on classes maybe with trainer bullets to really give some of us beginner shooters (and maybe some not so beginner shooters) good valuable lessons on safe handling/unsafe handling. There is much to know and I would prefer not to learn the hard dangerous way. The NRA pistol course i took was extremely basic.

If the class could have available a whole array of various semi automatic pistols available to look and and talk about for educated decisions ie double action/ da/sa/ 1911s. I have learned a little but i also was told wrong info from gun store staff. (example once the ruger 22 magazine is loaded - push on bolt release and let it slam back on its own to load a round) I sensed that may not be right and called Ruger finally -I was told not to do that as it can eventually damage the lockback something or other. I should just pull back on the bolt and let it go. (just one example)

It would involve no shooting - just information education !!

Is there such a thing? (pittsburgh area) Just wondering.....

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Safe gun handling/cleaning classes?

For specific guns you can get AGI training vidioes. You can watch them while you take your gun down. Youtube has been a good source also.

I get most of my AGI vidioes off of ebay.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I wish there was such a class. A class to teach about various semi pistols - how they work ie loading unloading and safe practices and what is a no no ie fingers over ejection port etc proper cleaning which is also extremely important for care of the gun.

I would love some hands on classes maybe with trainer bullets to really give some of us beginner shooters (and maybe some not so beginner shooters) good valuable lessons on safe handling/unsafe handling. There is much to know and I would prefer not to learn the hard dangerous way. The NRA pistol course i took was extremely basic.

If the class could have available a whole array of various semi automatic pistols available to look and and talk about for educated decisions ie double action/ da/sa/ 1911s.

It would involve no shooting - just information education !!

Is there such a thing? (pittsburgh area) Just wondering.....
    I might consider offering such a class but I'm not sure what level of interest it would generate. I'm also uncertain about what to charge because it would most likely be of (relatively) short duration (four hours) but we still nevertheless have to pay PMSC (the Gun Club) $10 / student as a "range fee".

Do you have any friends, acquaintances or family who might be interested?

(Allegheny County)

Not really, maybe 1 or 2 ladies. Most people i know tend to wonder why I am even interested in guns - they are of a different mindset. And the ones who hunt mostly have rifles and shotguns. I will ask around though.
    ps Tony, i bought my first gun 3" Smith Revolver on your recommendation!

Sounds alot like the NRA Basic pisto course :

Basic Pistol
    Description
    A pistol, or handgun, is a firearm designed to be fired while being held in one hand. While such firearms are small and compact, they can be the hardest to learn.

The Basic Pistol course can be as short as ten hours. In it students will get the NRA's The Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook and intensive lessons in safety, gun handling, the various types of pistols, the fundamentals of pistol marksmanship, various pistol firing positions, several practical exercises on the firing range, cleaning, storage, and a summary of pistol sports and activities.

Course Goal
    “To teach the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for owning and using a pistol safely.”
    —NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Lesson Plans

Lessons
    Pistol Knowledge and Safe Gun Handling
    Ammunition Knowledge and Fundamentals of Pistol Shooting
    Firing the First Shots (includes cleaning and storage)
    Two-handed and One-handed Standing Shooting Positions
    Pistol Sports and Activities
    Prerequisites
    The are no prerequisites for taking this course, and the material is accessible to appropriately supervised mature children.

Course Completion
    Students will receive feedback on the live-fire exercise and a course certificate upon successful completion of the lessons. Students will receive a “Basic Practical” rocker upon successful demonstration of firing a qualifying “group”. There is a short written test on the lesson material at the end of the course.

Do a search and you should be able to find a course in your area
    http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Allegheny County)

I have taken the NRA basic pistol course. There were few guns and as we were so new, we really didnt get into loading/unloading and some more detailed safety info for shooters. We did a little cleaning of revolvers - nothing much about semi autos was discussed. I mentioned above some things that would be good to emphasize and having a variety of guns and their actions. The guns and the book was covered in one class. Cleaning was part of another night - I forget some of it also. Most time was spent shooting.
    Perhaps some classes have more info than others. The class I took was extremely enjoyable but it was just a beginning.

(Cambria County)

The NRA has a class called "First Steps" there is no test, so it does not count if required to get a LTC. The purpose of the course is for an instructor to spend 3 or 4 hours with one or two students and one handgun. Usually I do this with the student's gun. The class is focused on this particular gun and all about it. Whatever is needed to clean the gun is covered, and is done, after shooting. Range time is used to help the student improve his/her shooting. There must be some pistol instructors in the Pittsburgh area that are willing to offer this course. It must be 400 miles to Pittsburgh from the range that I work at. That kind of keeps me out of the picture. I have an description of the course on my web site.
    SOME PISTOL INSTRUCTOR MUST SEE THE OPPERTUNITY HERE
    Take a look
    http://www.train2shoot.com/classes.html

(Montgomery County)

You can get quite an education sitting right behind your computer. Most autoloading pistols work about the same way. Sure, they are minor differences and nuances (The HK P7 is a great example) but 98% of them are the same in respect to how they work. Here are some videos that may help.

This first video is great, and it works on just about every semi automatic pistol. This video addresses malfunction drills.

Again, this instruction works for just about every pistol.

This video applies to every handgun, revolver or semi.

Since you have a wheel gun, this video is great.

Defensive weapons in general.

Safety should always be in the top three, so this video is relevant.

It is obvious that I dig Thunder Ranch and Clint Smith. Spend some time on youtube and you will find more quality videos. However, beware that there are many many bad videos out there. If you see school names like Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, Lethal Force Institute.

To sumarize, all semi autos work about the same way. No need to worry about all the safety levers and slide catches and other buttons, knobs and levers that adorn todays pistols. You must know what you carry, intimately. However, the others that you will see at the range do not require any additional knowledge as long as you follow basic safety rules.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

Thank you Steve! I enjoyed those videos. I have read many books but nothing takes the place of seeing and doing! I especially liked the first one. Will check more out.

I already know a few other women interested in learning more about guns with me !

(Bucks County)

Check the NRA's website for classes.. or Wicen's has some classes.

Beginner shotgun, beginner rifle, pistols etc...

really you need to read and understand the book which comes with your gun and associate with people who shoot (you pick the informed people).

We are special people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast