Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default The Elephant in the Room: Gun Rights and Urban Violence

http://libertythinkers.com/creative-...rban-violence/

As a gun owner and a 2nd amendment advocate I am well aware of the battle going on in this state over the issue of gun rights. Particularly, the disconnect between the rural communities and urban centers regarding the issue of drug and gang related gun violence.

Up until this point in the debate over gun control the arguments have been dichotomous and confrontational between those arguing for less restriction and more liberty versus those arguing for more restriction and control of gun sales.

Gun owners and those that support less restrictive laws on gun ownership and the right to carry frame their argument based on Constitutional liberty and common sense but they stop short of offering real solutions to the ongoing epidemic of drug and gang related violence that plagues cities like Philadelphia. Conversely, the politicians from areas that have these problems assault the liberties of all citizens in this state without offering a workable solution to the problems they face. Meanwhile, lives continue to be cut short while the debate rages on between the two sides.

To find a lasting solution we must first look at the root of the problem. Most violent crime in population centers is drug related. The trafficking of illegal drugs by street gangs and criminals creates an environment where violence thrives and perpetuates the culture of violence among the poor neighborhoods where the idea of making a quick buck by becoming a drug dealer becomes enticing and due to the criminal nature of that activity often leads to turf wars and violent exchanges between rivals in the drug trade. Police resources are then spent fighting a war they will never win while things continue a downward spiral into more death and violence.

Further burdening our law enforcement is the prosecution of non-violent offenders who are caught buying or using illegal drugs. To try and combat the unending tide of drugs coming into our cities tough laws have been enacted to go after anyone and everyone involved in the illegal trafficking of drugs, but here we are in 2010 forty years after the War on Drugs began and our problems are worse, not better.

As someone who values their freedom I realize that I cannot turn a blind eye to the problem of urban gun violence. To end the assaults on our liberty we must reach out to the leaders in cities like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh to help them solve this problem with rational thinking and an open mind.

My solution to the problem is to make people finally realize that drug prohibition simply does not work and is the root cause of the violence in our inner cities. If we decriminalize drug use and legalize some lesser drugs like Marijuana we will take the criminal element out of the drug trade. We can offer a viable alternative to turn a criminal enterprise into a legal, taxable business which creates jobs and brings in revenue for the cities and the state. At the same time, the resources being wasted arresting and prosecuting the non-violent drug users can be focused on the violent crime that deserves their attention. Money saved from stopping the war on drugs can be reinvested into the community and rehab programs to treat drug abuse rather than criminalize those who seek help with addiction problems. By doing this the violence created by prohibition will be replaced by a peaceful economic industry operating in the open free of the criminal element.

I would call on our state and local leaders to take an honest look at solving the problems in this state resulting from drug related gun violence in urban centers and put aside their differences to do what is right for gun owners and for our cities.

It is time to get off of our soap boxes and stop shouting about the Constitution and start working together for real solutions to the problems in cities like Philadelphia. We have to realize that if we want to preserve our liberties as gun owners we have to take an active part in helping to solve the problems related to gun violence.
    Last edited by t1m0thy; October 23rd, 2010 at 01:10 AM.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: The Elephant in the Room: Gun Rights and Urban Violence

Nice quote....

What's your point?

Lycanthisisyourthreadthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Nice quote....

What's your point?

Lycanthisisyourthreadthrope
    I wrote it...my point is pretty clear in the article.

(Lawrence County)

Then you don't need to quote yourself.

Lycanitmattersthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Then you don't need to quote yourself.

Lycanitmattersthrope
    Fixed it for ya.

(Montgomery County)

Interesting - but wrong.

Those inner city bangers aren't going to say hey I can't sell weed anymore so I should look at becoming legit. They will just find other illegal means to keep the money coming in. So, they will still be killing each other over "turf".

However, I do agree with the legalization of drugs but not because of inner city violence. People should be able to decide for themselves what they consume into their own bodies.

Now, if you really want to "fix" the violence problem here is how you do it.

Anyone that accepts welfare in any form must immediately be prevented from spawning more offspring. If you are going on the .gov dole, you have proven that you can’t fend for yourself or your children so you must be “monitored”.

Nearly 70% of their children are born out of wed lock with no father figure to set them on the correct path.

This will do one of two things. It will either encourage people to get on their own 2 feet or it will prevent future bangers from being born. Either way society wins.

I think this may be oversimplifying the complexity of issues. Let me be the first to say I do not have all the answers or possibly any.

Drugs are a problem as violence comes from both turf wars and the desire for those wanting drugs with limited resources due to lack of jobs from the economic depression or the inability to function beyond addiction or views of a "quick/easy score"

Violent criminals need to be harshly dealt with with little or no bargaining (plea deals). If you rob a store, person, house with a weapon you get an automatic penalty. Exceptions would be under self defense clearly defined castle doctrine expansion with inclusion of legal right to where one is (think HB40).

Welfare should not increase with someone having more children, it should be a fixed amount over a period to only assist not become a source of "career" taking form society. This should not be able to be used for smoking, drugs or any non-necessities/basic needs (food/shelter/clothing).

Community's must become more involved as a whole and less reliant on Gov and outside influences to care for its citizens. Micro environment will reflect macro in my mind.

We as a whole need to drop the policital correctness BS. It only leads to closed doors. If you cannot talk openly about thoughts/opinions/reactions who can intelligent conversation and arguments envelop. Example is NPR this week firing Williams. He stated an opinion and personal feeling which is not isolated to him or one group. It's a real problem that should open dialog amongst those in the Muslim religion and others. After all America has had several group and race issues since inception but with time, understanding and hard work can we move past them.

What is common from all the above is the unwillingness to see the forest for the trees. They all affect each other and in totality create situations that effect society as a whole. We all need to act responsibly and reflect on ourselves, lives and values. The constitution is our framework for laws and rights while our society is the reflection of morals and ethics.

We must stand united for gun rights but also battle the causes of evil and understand our opponents in order to progress our issue and be seen as a positive force.

Sorry for the long winded response. I don't claim to be an expert as these are just my thoughts.

Bandit

PS thank you spell check!

(Philadelphia County)

Content deleted. Previously perma-banned member.
    ~ Staff
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; October 23rd, 2010 at 02:03 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Interesting - but wrong.

Those inner city bangers aren't going to say hey I can't sell weed anymore so I should look at becoming legit. They will just find other illegal means to keep the money coming in. So, they will still be killing each other over "turf".

However, I do agree with the legalization of drugs but not because of inner city violence. People should be able to decide for themselves what they consume into their own bodies.

Now, if you really want to "fix" the violence problem here is how you do it.

Anyone that accepts welfare in any form must immediately be prevented from spawning more offspring. If you are going on the .gov dole, you have proven that you can’t fend for yourself or your children so you must be “monitored”.

Nearly 70% of their children are born out of wed lock with no father figure to set them on the correct path.

This will do one of two things. It will either encourage people to get on their own 2 feet or it will prevent future bangers from being born. Either way society wins.
    wow..Carl..WOW....in one sentence you're all for freedom, but 2 sentences later you want to restrict the ability for someone to be free. now...we can both agree that welfare is killing this country, because it is. we have to slowly start taking away the entitlements until they're non-existent.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

A few things here to consider:

1. Teenagers need to stop begetting children, whether they live in inner-city Philly, Chester, Pittsburgh, or a trailer park anywhere in between. Thirty-something grandparents haven't had enough time on the planet themselves to be useful in aiding domestic stability within their extended families. Establish strong disincentives to teen pregnancy all around.

2. Drop the division between violent and non-violent offenders. People who stick their noses into certain neighborhoods "only to buy a dime bag" are supporting the demand, which in turn creates a competitive environment, which leads to gang warfare over turf. Make it clear through our laws that everyone on both sides of the supply and demand equation will pay dearly.

3. Criminalize the illegal acquisition, possession, and distribution of firearms well beyond the current "tack on" five year sentence for firearms involved in the commission of a crime. Make them sentences that turns young heads grey, in order to discourage strawman firearms purchases, robbery/burglary of firearms, and every other activity encompassing illegal distribution and possession of the same.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast