Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default Federalist Papers' reference to well-regulated militia...

The meaning of a well-regulated militia, as referenced in the Second Amendment has been discussed in a few threads.

During research for another paper, I came across Alexander Hamilton's reference to the militia from the Daily Advertiser on Thursday, January 10th, 1788. It is known as #29, 'Concerning the Militia':

The project of disciplining all the militia of the United States is as futile as it would be injurious, if it were capable of being carried into execution. A tolerable expertness in military movements is a business that requires time and practice. It is not a day, or even a week, that will suffice for the attainment of it. To oblige the great body of the yeomanry, and of the other classes of the citizens, to be under arms for the purpose of going through military exercises and evolutions, as often as might be necessary to acquire the degree of perfection which would entitle them to the character of a well-regulated militia, would be a real grievance to the people, and a serious public inconvenience and loss.
    Apparently it hinges on the manual of arms which, in the their day, meant the steps to load and fire a weapon system. Further, the ability to gather into organized formations of squads, platoons, companies, battalions, regiments and divisions are important as well as coordinated movement from place to place per established military protocols (eg. marching) and specific combat commands such as charge, fire, retreat, fall back, flank march, oblique march and so forth. Exercises and evolutions would include what is needed to be done to support and maintain a military organization in the field.

He then goes on to discuss that the people could only be assembled once or twice a year to ensure compliance with proper arming and readiness as there would be great loss of productivity to do any more perparations; therefore establishment of a militia becomes necessary. But most importantly, Hamilton sheds some light on the meaning of 'well-regulated militia'.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Federalist Papers' reference to well-regulated militia...

I wish more people would read 'The Federalist.' But, I have to admit, it is a tough read to trudge through. It would be pretty awesome if someone could rewrite the papers so that they could be more easily digested by the average modern reader.

So, how would you describe what Hamilton meant by, 'Well regulated Militia?'

And, if you don't mind, I'll shamelessly plug a couple threads I started involving excerpts from the papers in case anyone here might be interested.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/738...us-re-8-a.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/political-was...-argument.html

(Delaware County)

if you guys want to read all of the federalist and anti-federalist papers, we have them all online here

http://www.parevolution.com/educatio...eralist-papers

I haven't really read any myself because of a reading comprehension (cannot stay focused on a book/long article/long post) without drifting off.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Delaware County)

Equally interesting are the writings and speeches of George Mason on the subject of the Constitution.

Below is an excerpt from a letter to Jefferson concerning Mason's objections to the Constitution.

There are many other things very objectionable in the proposed new Constitution; particularly the almost unlimited Authority over the Militia of the several States; whereby, under Colour of regulating, they may disarm, or render useless the Militia, the more easily to govern by a standing Army; or they may harrass the Militia, by such rigid Regulations, and intollerable Burdens, as to make the People themselves desire it's Abolition. By their Power over the Elections, they may so order them, as to deprive the People at large of any Share in the Choice of their Representatives.
    The full letter is here http://www.virginia1774.org/GM2TJmay261788.html

And the Proposed Amendments Agreed Upon by the Anti-federal Committee of Richmond and Dispatched to New York

http://www.virginia1774.org/ProposedAmendments.html

17. That the People have a Right to keep & to bear Arms; that a well regulated Militia, composed of the Body of the People, trained to Arms, is the proper natural and safe Defence of a free State; that standing Armys in time of Peace are dangerous to Liberty, and therefore ought to be avoided, as far as the Circumstances and Protection of the Community will admit; and that in all Cases, the Military shou'd be under strict Subordination to and govern'd by the Civil Power.
    Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    if you guys want to read all of the federalist and anti-federalist papers, we have them all online here

I haven't really read any myself because of a reading comprehension (cannot stay focused on a book/long article/long post) without drifting off.
    You need to take the time to read them. Make it a daily regime to read all or part of one letter.
    NRA life member/ILA/PVA/Whittington Center sponsor
    GOA member/Second Amendment Foundation member
    NAHC life member/KECA founding committee member

(Indiana County)

Some historical uses of the words.

The project of disciplining all the militia of the United States is as futile as it would be injurious if it were capable of being carried into execution. A tolerable expertness in military movements is a business that requires time and practice. It is not a day, nor a week nor even a month, that will suffice for the attainment of it. To oblige the great body of the yeomanry and of the other classes of the citizens to be under arms for the purpose of going through military exercises and evolutions, as often as might be necessary to acquire the degree of perfection which would entitle them to the character of a well regulated militia, would be a real grievance to the people and a serious public inconvenience and loss.
    --- The Federalist Papers, No. 29.

Journals of the Continental Congress, 1774-1789

Resolved , That this appointment be conferred on experienced and vigilant general officers, who are acquainted with whatever relates to the general economy, manoeuvres and discipline of a well regulated army.
    --- Saturday, December 13, 1777.

That the strength of the Wabash Indians who were principally the object of the resolve of the 21st of July 1787, and the strength of the Creek Indians is very different. That the said Creeks are not only greatly superior in numbers but are more united, better regulated, and headed by a man whose talents appear to have fixed him in their confidence. That from the view of the object your Secretary has been able to take he conceives that the only effectual mode of acting against the said Creeks in case they should persist in their hostilities would be by making an invasion of their country with a powerful body of well regulated troops always ready to combat and able to defeat any combination of force the said Creeks could oppose and to destroy their towns and provisions.
    --- Saturday, December 13, 1777.

I am unacquainted with the extent of your works, and consequently ignorant of the number or men necessary to man them. If your present numbers should be insufficient for that purpose, I would then by all means advise your making up the deficiency out of the best regulated militia that can be got.
    --- George Washington (The Writings of George Washington, pp. 503-4, (G.P. Putnam & Sons, pub.)(1889))

One of the Seamen that had formerly made a Greenland Voyage for Whale-Fishing, told us that in that country he had seen very great Troops of those Sea-Horses ranging upon Land, sometimes three or four hundred in a Troop: Their great desire, he says, is to roost themselves on Land in the Warm Sun; and Whilst they sleep, they apppoint one to stand Centinel, and watch a certain time; and when that time's expir'd, another takes his place of Watching, and the first Centinel goes to sleep, &c. observing the strict Discipline, as a Body of Well-regulated Troops
    --- (Letters written from New-England, A. D. 1686. P. 47, John Dutton (1867))
    NRA life member/ILA/PVA/Whittington Center sponsor
    GOA member/Second Amendment Foundation member
    NAHC life member/KECA founding committee member

You can find them online in a downlaodable PDF as well . . . google~foo them with PDF added
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Venango County)

Great stimulating convo just as I had hoped. Thanks for the extra links they may aid me this semester as well as the research paper develops.

To better understand the Constitution, one must peruse the Federalist and anti-federalist papers as well as other documents to truly understand the issues, fears and motives behind the development of our present system. I suggest you take one aspect and research it through.

There are listings that are all textual. Sucks to read but great for doing a search for hits! Then note the location(s) and go find it in a more legible version. This way you stick to what interests you.

Suggestions for searches are 'separation of powers', 'self-defense', 'militia', or 'amendments'. If you take it in chunks and use the various sources it is more interesting. You still might get sidetracked once in awhile but it's more like a treasure hunt this way.

PBS ran a documentary called Adams or John Adams from the book. It was a great look at the time period and what was going on. I never got around to the book though.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    I wish more people would read 'The Federalist.' But, I have to admit, it is a tough read to trudge through. It would be pretty awesome if someone could rewrite the papers so that they could be more easily digested by the average modern reader.

So, how would you describe what Hamilton meant by, 'Well regulated Militia?'

And, if you don't mind, I'll shamelessly plug a couple threads I started involving excerpts from the papers in case anyone here might be interested.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/738...us-re-8-a.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/political-was...-argument.html
    To answer in the most concise manner, well-regulated means organized and disciplined to a high degree. To be more general, it is the ability to efficiently call-up/mobilize, field and support, march about and engage in combat from individual soldiers to large formations of troops. This requires good order, knowing which military commands to give and how to execute them, and great communications.
    (Anyone who has successfully joined the military knows what that is about! You're other, military LEFT! )
    Last edited by TaePo; October 22nd, 2010 at 10:22 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    You need to take the time to read them. Make it a daily regime to read all or part of one letter.
    yeah..trust me..it's something I want to do, but I just cannot focus on them...hell, if I sit down on my couch to read, I'll probably be sleeping in 10-15 minutes.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast