Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Traded LCP for 442

Just traded my LCP on a Smith 442 at Handgunner in Topton. Great guys by the way.

Although the LCP was a good shooter, accurate and was nice and small for pocket carry, I did have an issue with it that made me uncomfortable. Every once in while the mag would pop out just a bit and cause ftl. Happened 3 or 4 times in 200 rounds. Three for sure. I'm not sure if I was hitting the mag release (sure couldn't do it if I tried) or some other malfunction. I have seen a few posts when googled of similar problems. Anyway, I just didn't trust it in a self defense scenario. Which was the only reason I bought it to start with.

On with the choices. I compared three lightweights. The 442, 38 Bodyguard and the LCR. The 442 felt best in my hand. The LCR seemed nice but just a bit more bulky than the 442. The 38 Bodyguard is a nice concept but fails in design in my opinion. I would like to have the laser and may install CT on the 442, but the little button on the Bodyguard to turn it on is a bit difficult to engage quickly. I tried using my right thumb (I'm a righty) and also tried with my left thumb over the top. Just couldn't do it quickly enough for my likeing. If I'm in a situation where I need a weapon, I don't have time to fuddle around. The CT comes on without thinking. Wasn't real fond of the cylinder release either.

When I got home with the 442 I went right out back to throw a few rounds.

8 yards, two handed, first 5 rounds: 3 within one inch just right of center, 1 two inches higher and to the left a bit and the last another inch above the high shot.

Next 5 rounds first two one handed about 4 inches high. Two handed 1st round near center, next two in quick succesion about 2 inches and 4 inches high. I need to practice with this little guy so I can keep all 5 together.

Recoil was not bad using non sp+. I wouldn't want to spend a day at the range shooting this lightweight but 25 to 30 rounds at a time for practice shouldn't be too bad.

I'm happy with my decision to let the LCP go. I need to have faith in my small carry weapon and besides, I like wheel guns.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Traded LCP for 442

I looked and looked and couldn't find the pictures in your post.

/Hint hint

(Franklin County)

Gotta love wheelguns We don't need no pesky magazines lol
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

I have both. The LCP is easier to carry but I like the 442 more. It feels better in my hands and I have more faith in the caliber.

I carry mine every day everywhere I go, I gave up my LCP for it too.

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up Re: Traded LCP for 442

Excellent choice. You can't go wrong with a little J frame. They are my favorite pocket carry option by far.

Now you have to practice. (Dryfire helps too!)
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

If you had any doubts about the LCP, you made a good choice. The 442 is excellent for concealed carry and can be fired pretty accurately. I've done a few (and unfortunately far between) sub 2" groups at 15 yards with mine, but minute of paper plate at 7 yards is really good enough for its intended purpose.

I also have a Taurus 738 and like it. Like the LCP it has a flatter profile and it is easier to carry 10+ rounds. I carry the 442 and a speed loader more than I carry the Taurus.

(Northampton County)

I'm going back and forth between getting a LCP or a 642. Right now there is a $50 mail in rebate with S&W until the end of the year so I'm leaning towards the 642. I want to be able to carry the 642 in a pocket holster. I usually wear relaxed fit jeans with pockets that should have enough room to carry a 642 but I don't know how it would look and feel in the pocket. The LCP looks like it would hide nicely in a decent pocket holster, but I know the 642 will go bang when I need it to. Decisions Decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by aferr1973 View Post
    I'm going back and forth between getting a LCP or a 642. Right now there is a $50 mail in rebate with S&W until the end of the year so I'm leaning towards the 642. I want to be able to carry the 642 in a pocket holster. I usually wear relaxed fit jeans with pockets that should have enough room to carry a 642 but I don't know how it would look and feel in the pocket. The LCP looks like it would hide nicely in a decent pocket holster, but I know the 642 will go bang when I need it to. Decisions Decisions.
    Just remember people carried the j-frames in the pocket long before the LCP came out, there are plenty of options.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    Just remember people carried the j-frames in the pocket long before the LCP came out, there are plenty of options.
    This is true and that's why I like the j-frame option, but the price of the LCP is what keeps drawing me back to it though as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast