Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default cell phones in shops

I was at Classic Pistol this past Saturday and while in there some guy was talking on his cell phone. One of the guys behind the counter asked him to hang and told him no cell phones were allowed while in the store. He then proceeded to tell the guy that it was a federal law and it was enforced to help stop straw purchases. I've never heard of this being federal law, any truth to it?
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

Default Re: cell phones in shops

I doubt it's a law of any kind, just store policy I'd think.

(Bucks County)

They also have a sign on way into the range...."No cell phones or cameras"....what's the issue with cameras in the range?

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

There is a sign at my local gun shop that says to turn off cell phones before entering the store. I never really do. The last time I bought a handgun I used my phone to find the zip code for my office. The woman behind the counter asked if the phone had internet and commented that she needs to get a phone like that. Despite the sign she didn't seem to even care. The owner also didn't see it as an issue. So I have no idea what is up with that. The next time I go I will have to ask.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Allegheny County)

They don't want straw purchasers to be on the phone getting directions on which guns to buy.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Monroe County)

We hate when stores "make up" laws about carrying but yet no out rage about this.

I would of reacted badly to being told that BS.
    However just being asked to take the call outside would of been ok.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    They don't want straw purchasers to be on the phone getting directions on which guns to buy.
    Isn't it just the "cheapest 9's"? ::note sarcasm::

Actually I didn't think of this.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Bucks County)

not any kind of federal or state law but many gun stores now have a no cell phone use in store policy to combat straw purchases. with that said the guy should have just been upfront and honest and stated it was store policy.

A few shops in Up-State NY now have signs banning cell phones and cameras - these stores were victims of Mayor Napolean Bloombergs gun stings.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveIam View Post
    I was at Classic Pistol this past Saturday and while in there some guy was talking on his cell phone. One of the guys behind the counter asked him to hang and told him no cell phones were allowed while in the store. He then proceeded to tell the guy that it was a federal law and it was enforced to help stop straw purchases. I've never heard of this being federal law, any truth to it?
    Personally, I would have told him I'll take the call outside and never came back in.

I seriously question how effective that is in stopping straw purchases anyhow. What's to stop someone from coming in and 'window shopping,' then telling their buddy which one they want?

If a store makes me feel at all uncomfortable when shopping I take my business elsewhere. Telling me to hang up a phone while talking would make me feel uncomfortable (pissed off would be closer to my true feelings). Passing off store policy as 'the law' is just icing on the cake. There are plenty of other gun shops out there. Remember, the gun business isn't booming like it was a year or two ago. These shops need to hang on to customers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast