Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Question Odd Questions at the Doc's Office...

So today I had an appointment at Elkins Park Medical Associates, this this being my first doctor's appointment in about 10 years here in PA. I filled out the new patient 30 pages of releases and privacy forms, but apparently I missed the backside of one of them. About midway through the appointment the doctor noticed I had missed this page so she asked me the questions on the form and filled it out herself. That's when the doctor asked me a question that struck me as odd...

"Do you own a gun?", to which I lied and answered no and she continued along to some normal health questions. At one point though I got a look at the form she was filling out which had some follow up questions to the "do you own a gun" question, they were;

"Is the firearm accessible to children?", and "Is the firearm kept loaded?". Later on she asked me if I abused my wife which also struck me as odd. At this point I'd like to point out that this was a pretty routine visit and I had no previous contact with this MD, and I also didn't have any fighting injuries or a black eye or anything to make them think there was anything wrong. I would also like to point out that I would die before I would lay a finger on my wife or any woman for that matter.

I suspect these questions sound like spying by my health insurance company so they can jack up my rates, but I could be wrong. Is this even legal? It seems like it would be discriminatory if this was the case. Has anyone else run into anything like this?
    Last edited by Atrumnex; October 18th, 2010 at 08:01 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Odd Questions at the Doc's Office...

the gun question was on a form for my kids visit to the Dr as well. I said it was not their business.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrumnex View Post
    That's when the doctor asked me a question that struck me as odd...

"Do you own a gun?",
    NOYFB!

(concise and to the point)

(Somerset County)

Yea, I ran into that some time ago. Told her that had nothing to do with my health. It was on a standard survey form, probably designed by the AMA.

Dale

(Wayne County)

I've seen similar questions asked routinely when you go to the ER for an injury, e.g., "Do you feel safe in your home", "are you currently being abused," etc. I have NEVER heard it phrased from the abusers side. That's just ludicrous. "Do you routinely beat everyone in your family?" "Do you selectively abuse one child over the rest?"

Fortunately, my family doctor doesn't ask dumb questions like this. I would have to have some fun with them. Q: "Do you have a gun in your home?" A: "Yes. I have so many that I have to store the excess in my children's closets and toybox."
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I've seen similar questions asked routinely when you go to the ER for an injury, e.g., "Do you feel safe in your home", "are you currently being abused," etc. I have NEVER heard it phrased from the abusers side. That's just ludicrous. "Do you routinely beat everyone in your family?" "Do you selectively abuse one child over the rest?"

Fortunately, my family doctor doesn't ask dumb questions like this. I would have to have some fun with them. Q: "Do you have a gun in your home?" A: "Yes. I have so many that I have to store the excess in my children's closets and toybox."
    One other question on the form was "Is your wife afraid of you?" who in their right mind would answer yes to that?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Atrumnex View Post
    One other question on the form was "Is your wife afraid of you?" who in their right mind would answer yes to that?
    People who want psychiatric help for their anger issues? Or drug issues?

(Lycoming County)

I could not really lie, my Family Dr. has shot on the range at my house. Then again, I guess he would not need to ask

Be safe (and shoot with a Dr., it is safer).

Scott

(Montgomery County)

Tell them that it is none of their business and they write yes.

On a side note, I belong to a living history group. We wear armor and hit each other. One time we were in the Landsdale parade and we would do a mock battle with real (but dull) swords every half block. Near the end of the parade I took a blow to the face and had a bad cut over one eye. The ambulance corp was the group following us so I went to them. At first they said things like how real the blood looks until we got them to understand that I was really hurt. After I was taken to the hospital to be stitched up the nurse took me aside and told me "You don't have to put up with this". She went on with "Tell us his name, we can protect you". I told her "I won the fight".

(Westmoreland County)

Fortunitly for me my Dr. is one of my best gun customers.

If he asked me the question "Is your wife afraid of you?" I'd have to answer "No. I'm afraid of her. She carries a .45, remember?"

But on a serious note. These types of questions are becoming all to common as the nanny state attempts to intrude themselves in all aspects of your life.

Any time I get these type of inquiries I just politely reply that it is not pertinent to the subject at hand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast