Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LTCF Denied

(Pike County)

Default LTCF Denied

I received a generic letter from the Sherriff (not dated, not addressed to me) saying I was denied. Fill out the PICS Challenge, don't call the Sheriff it's now a State Police matter. So I go onto the State Police website and pay $10 for PATCH to get me criminal record check. It comes back "no record". Does anyone know if the PATCH system is only for PA records? I had a few moments of brilliance in my younger days in NJ but don't think any would bar me from getting a LTCF. They are as follows (all at least 13+ years ago not that I think it matters)
    DUI Convicted (first offense not punishable with more than 1 year in prison) Lost License for 6 months.
    Arrested for possession. Found NOT guilty by jury trial.
    Arrested for possession on federal property. Guilty plea held by judge, but not entered in liu of Federal Pretrial Diversion. Pretrial Diversion completed, charges/case dismissed by the Federal Court.

So do I complete the PICS challenge form and include a copy of my PATCH report and send it in or consult an attourney first? Any advice is appreciated. Not sure what PICS is showing. Should I also explain each of the above in detail if I send in the challenge form? So long ago I don't remember the dates.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: LTCF Denied

I think a possession conviction is an automatic fail. But I may be mistaken.
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

(Pike County)

Agreed, but I never received a conviction.

(Lycoming County)

First, I thought the reason had to be stated in the written correspondence. Second, records from all States are considered, not just PA. Finally, the Sheriff may be using the catch-all clause holding that you may be a risk to the public. Follow through with the appeal, if it is denied further, then go from there.

I have possessed a LTCF for 20 years, own a Private Detective Agency, a Bail Bond Agency, Act 235 certified, do .gov contract work and I still get denied when I renew, or sometimes buy a gun. I have had to fill out appeal forms twice. The one LTCF renewal, the Sheriff, who is a friend, laughed and could not believe I was denied. His hands were tied, had to fill out the appeal. There is another with the same name that has a lot of legal issues in another County.

Be safe (and worry after the appeal is denied).

Scott

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JWGDub View Post
    I received a generic letter from the Sherriff (not dated, not addressed to me) saying I was denied. Fill out the PICS Challenge, don't call the Sheriff it's now a State Police matter. So I go onto the State Police website and pay $10 for PATCH to get me criminal record check. It comes back "no record". Does anyone know if the PATCH system is only for PA records? I had a few moments of brilliance in my younger days in NJ but don't think any would bar me from getting a LTCF. They are as follows (all at least 13+ years ago not that I think it matters)
    DUI Convicted (first offense not punishable with more than 1 year in prison) Lost License for 6 months.
    Arrested for possession. Found NOT guilty by jury trial.
    Arrested for possession on federal property. Guilty plea held by judge, but not entered in liu of Federal Pretrial Diversion. Pretrial Diversion completed, charges/case dismissed by the Federal Court.

So do I complete the PICS challenge form and include a copy of my PATCH report and send it in or consult an attourney first? Any advice is appreciated. Not sure what PICS is showing. Should I also explain each of the above in detail if I send in the challenge form? So long ago I don't remember the dates.
    Have you purchased a handgun yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    First, I thought the reason had to be stated in the written correspondence.
    Yep.

(g) Grant or denial of license.--Upon the receipt of an application for a license to carry a firearm, the sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue a license on the basis of the investigation under subsection (d) and the accuracy of the information contained in the application.

If the sheriff refuses to issue a license, the sheriff shall notify the applicant in writing of the refusal and the specific reasons.
    The notice shall be sent by certified mail to the applicant at the address set forth in the application.

(Luzerne County)

[QUOTE=JWGDub;1370439]I received a generic letter from the Sherriff (not dated, not addressed to me) saying I was denied.

Are you sure this denial was for you. Per your statement above you say it wasn't addressed to you. Sounds like a simple mistake from the sheriff's office, I would find out first.

I also would contact the sheriffs office and ask for an explanation. This could simply be an error. On the other hand the sheriff may just refuse anyone with any type of background. If that is the case my next move might be to talk to a lawyer.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by NS145 View Post
    Have you purchased a handgun yet?
    I have not.

(Pike County)

[QUOTE=cgbudde;1370492]
    Quote Originally Posted by JWGDub View Post
    I received a generic letter from the Sherriff (not dated, not addressed to me) saying I was denied.

Are you sure this denial was for you. Per your statement above you say it wasn't addressed to you. Sounds like a simple mistake from the sheriff's office, I would find out first.
    Sorry, to clarify it was address/mailed to me but the letter itself was a copy of a generic letter. Dear Applicant, you application has been denied. The letter was not dated, signed or anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast