Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: new Kahr MK40

Default new Kahr MK40

I bought a new Kahr MK40 earlier this week so I could have a serious caliber pistol when concealment is a priority. I had a recently assembled one sent to my dealer. I went with the steel frame because of reliability concerns with the polymer ones, and also because I liked the grip better. I plan to carry this in a belt holster, so the additional weight doesn't bother me; I didn't buy Kahr with the intent for pocket carry. If I need to pocket carry, it wouldn't be a Kahr anyways, because none of them are discreet enough for my tastes in pocket carry.

I didn't get a chance to take it to the range until tonight. Before I went, I read the manual, broke it down, cleaned it up very nicely, practiced drawing, racking the slide, etc. I could tell that for concealment, it would do a very well job. It's something that I can easily forget having on I'm sure; definitely a lot more comfortable and concealable than my Sig 239. At the range, I put 250 rounds through it; 100 rounds of Winchester 165 gr FMJ, 50 rounds of speer gold dot 165 gr JHP, and finally Cor-Bon 135 gr JHP. I did not have even one FTF or jam, and it performed flawlessly. Recoil is not too bad either; sure it's not the most fun to use, but it definitely is manageable.

I did rent a PM40 before buying this and had some jams with it, but not the steel frame one I rented. I can't speak in terms of the reliability of the polymer Kahrs, but the steel framed ones seem to do just fine. I would highly recommend this pistol to anyone who is looking for a small, good self-defense CCW pistol; I would just recommend getting a newly assembled one. Have your dealer order a new one if need be like I did. If anyone here is around the Pittsburgh or Cleveland area and wants to shoot mine, your more than welcome to. I hope this helps.

(York County)

Default Re: new Kahr MK40

I've got the MK9. These MK series pistols are extremely well made and robust guns. I'm sure the .40 is a bit snappier in recoil then the 9mm I own, but the weight of the gun does manage it well, doesn't it?
    Anyway, enjoy your fine new carry piece!!
    What holster did you get for it?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: new Kahr MK40

Another happy MK9 owner here. Though I haven't quite hit the 200 round mark, it has performed flawlessly with a mix of FMJ and HP ammo.

I have a Galco Stinger OWB for it - not a bad holster, but probably can do better.