DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert, and possess no qualifications. These are simply accumulated nuggets of wisdom that work for me, and I wish were passed to me when I first got into shooting.

So having been around the block regarding firearms for a couple years now I feel the need to make a few comments and suggestions:

1.) Live, love, and blindly obey Cooper's 4-rules until they are automatic. No excuses, no just-this-onces, and thus no negligent discharges. You should know the four rules like you know your name, and their application should require no thought or reminders. Do not ever believe that you are better than, or experienced enough to violate the four rules.

2.) BUY USED GUNS!!! I cannot stress this enough. As a young gun owner I purchased new, and vastly over priced firearms from borderline predatory dealers. Then I found PAFOA, and its firearms section. Most used guns were not even properly broken in, but were properly maintained. It is not hard to find the object of your desire being sold by a reputable member if you are patient. This concept is quite comparable to buying a new car off a lot or a "used" car with a couple thousand miles on it. Save money, help a fellow member, and make a new friend out of a fellow gun owner.

3.) Factor ammo and accessories into every firearms purchase. Saving up the money for a gun is the first step, but be sure to factor in a sufficient amount of ammo to become proficient with it. If you can't afford the ammo then you can't afford the gun.

4.) Seek instruction! Join a private club, or shoot with experienced shooters at the SGL ranges. You can learn everything you need to know by reading tons of articles in books and online, expending hundreds of rounds at the range, and constant dry fire; or someone can show you, critique you, and have you up to speed with minimal amounts of time and ammo.

5.) Reload as soon as humanly possible. It will make you a better shooter, and grant you a much deeper understanding of how things work. It also reduces the price of your ammo, while increasing the quality.

6.) Dry fire, and be sure to do it at least 15 minutes a day. If you treat dry fire with respect then it will pay off big time when you go to the range. It will familiarize you with the operation and function of your firearm, teach you trigger control and sight picture, and improve your gun handling skills.

7.) Buy a firearm or accessory because it fits you, solves a problem, and makes your life easier; not because a gun rag or your buddy says you need it or it's what the pro's use. You are the expert or idiot, and your gear will not change that. An expert will utilize his equipment to its fullest regardless. Strive to improve your Firearms IQ, and don't rely on talismans. Revolvers and bolt actions are just as fast as semi-autos for practical purposes in the hands of a skilled shooter. Use the equipment you are the most comfortable and practiced with, but be practiced.

8.) Introduce as many people as possible to shooting. Bring family, friends, colleagues, neighbors, etc. The cure for gun control, anti-gun mentalities, and hoplophobia in general is experience. People fear and misunderstand guns do to ignorance. The media puts a very particular image of guns in people's heads, and they truly believe what they see on TV and hear politicians say. This is because they have never experienced guns personally and then been able to form an opinion of them. Give every person interested that opportunity, and you will never in your life see another infringement on our rights.

9.) Get out of the house and go hunting. There is no better way to reconnect with the warrior inside of yourself. Hunting reminds us of our place on this earth, and helps us realize how artificial our daily lives are. You will have a chance to hunt prey in the wild, and feed your family quality free range meat at a bargain price. Hunting will make you a better shooter if the S ever HTF. You must learn to shoot quickly but accurately, over come "buck fever", detect slight movements, and move quietly.

10.) This is my last, and certainly most controversial assertion. It only applies to certain situations, which preclude young children, irresponsible roommates, and a host of other circumstances. Every gun should be kept loaded. An empty gun is an expensive rock or club. This ensures good safety practices, readily available weapons, and the proper mindset/respect for firearms. This is definitely not for everyone, but I believe it to be the ideal arrangement circumstances permitting.

11.) Never close your mind or think you know everything. Thus, Feedback is quite welcome be it criticism or commendation.

I hope this helps someone somewhere.