Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Cool I love days like this

Took my 11 yo out for her first time with her Ruger MkIII at the private sportsman's range I joined Saturday afternoon. As we drove over, she said she was nervous that other people were going to be there. But when we got there, no one was in sight, the range was ours!

I set us up at a bench, walked her through a safety check (drop magazine, check chamber, safety selector etc.) then showed her how to load her magazines. I'd gotten her a 10-pack of multi color reactive targets as well as a 500 rd box of CCI standard and her own ear muffs and shooting glasses. We'd only brought 200 rounds with us. Thats when I noticed the wind had blown down the rails on the range, and that someone had moved the 10 yd target stands down to the 25 yard mark.

We got the rails back up, secured it then stuck her targets on. I marked off 10 yards, then made a second mark 20 feet further. Had her try it out at 10yds. A few shots went wide, but then she settled in. "Hey dad, this is almost like air rifle, no kick!".

We only had 2 hours on the range, but she burned through 100rds and had a blast. We had to go to our church's picnic (which had to be indoors due to the wind and cold) right after but luckily, the range was only 1 mile from the indoor picnic site. She took her targets in and passed them around to the congregation. Everyone was very excited and proud of her (one of the reasons I love my church - they are very supportive). She was telling her friends, made a couple of the boys jealous (I overheard one saying he's only got a bb gun and an airsoft) and told me she cant wait to go again and maybe bring out the 10/22.

Guess where I'll be spending my Saturday afternoons LOL....

(Somerset County)

Default Re: I love days like this

Those are some of the best days.

Dale

(Beaver County)

Good for you, and for her. Sounds like a great afternoon, and a nice church group.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Allegheny County)

Very nice! Can't wait to have a few days like that of my own.

With the hours i put in at work, and all the stuff you go through raising a family, days like this are what makes it all worth it, I think. Her being the oldest, it's really hard to find time to just be with her. Told her though that she's gonna have to help me with the others as they get old enough to come out to learn to shoot. She liked that idea LOL.