Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AK74

Default AK74

Guys I'm considering buying an AK74. I'm not sure which to get though as there are so many and I don't want a CIA. I have recently sold a WASR 10/63 and would like to upgrade to a better version of the 74 and would like to be in the $600 range for a complete rifle. I would like some websites that I can buy from and also some LGS that may have some in stock. I would like to know if anyone knows about these http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct911.aspx

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: AK74

The one you linked to sounds like a Century rifle, you might want to contact them and ask. Atlantic is a good company though, so that's a plus.
    Here's one that sounds like it's the same thing for less.
    http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagun74.aspx
    And here's a SAR2 about the same price but only comes with one mag
    http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUN12.aspx

There's not many choices

You could get an Arsenal, but expensive, these are converted Saiga (any that have "SGL" are Saiga rifles)
    http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=354

Or if you have the skill you can get a Saiga and convert it yourself.

(Allegheny County)

Been discussed before; search on SAR-2 or WASR-2 - both are FACTORY built "AKM-74" with CORRECT chambers and chromelined barrels. Same with the SAIGA in 5.45x39.
    SAIGAs can be had cheaper than WASRs if unconverted, or twice the WASR$$ if converted to "full AKM look".
    WASR2/SAR2/SAIGA - best bets.

Edit - check our classifieds, I think Jay Bell has a nice "74" for sale in East PA. All the kool schitt is always for sale out east...
    Last edited by nfafan; October 17th, 2010 at 12:26 PM.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm NOT looking for a Century. I went to a gun show in Allentown today and there was one of those NDS Century guns there and the guy wanted $600 for it so I just walked away from it, even though he was trying to sell me on it. He refused to say it was made by Century even though I asked him twice who built it he kept saying that it was a NDS. I have seen JayBell's ad and have contacted him and am just waiting on his response.

Century hasn't built anything well, at all, but they consistently manage to find skilled builders who subcontract for them. Case in point, M70AB2s.

Were I looking, I'd try to find a non-CAI Tantal, one like this: http://www.highstandard.com/interarms.html Mechanically, they're great, although they really could use a re-parkerizing and a good coat of moly. The only drawback is a lack of mounting hardware for an over-the-dust-cover mounted optic. There are over-the-top solutions that stick a rail between the rear sight block and the trunnion, but I'm not sure about Ultimak-type options for replacing the front handguard/s.

(Lebanon County)

i'll vouch for the inter-arms wz88's. get rid of the side folder, and put a decent fixed butt on it and yer g2g.
    the russian 5.45 is insanely corrosive, just keep that in mind.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Berks County)

This is kind of a difficult proposition, thanks to all the dirty Russian surplus out there looking for guns.

Classic Arms has Saiga IZ-240s in stock for around $340 if you're interested in going that route. The rifle will work reasonably well even in its raw, unconverted state.

Whatever you decide to do, I might suggest staying clear of Lancaster Arms. At least for a while. They're having some issues right now.
    Last edited by kunsunoke; October 17th, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

(York County)

That is positively an CAI AK74 at Atlantic in the OP. Theres been very littlw negative press on these 74's from Centrury that came out in the last several months. I've got 2 myself and they are the most accurate AK's I've got. You could alsays just get one of the zillion Bulgy Ak74 kits floating around and build one yourself. RGuns has authentic Tula kits right now also, so might Copes still. I've got plenty of kits to build, but its cheaper to buy them outright at the moment.

I suggest you spend an extra 100-200 of your cash get an arsenal and don't look back . Actually a used one might be in your price range.

I currently have a deal with JayBell for his Bulgarian 74...word!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast