Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Forward grip on an AR pistol

Met a gentleman the other day that had the Magpul angled forward grip on his AR pistol.

I was under the impression that this was a big no no? I got to talking to him and he said that people he knows (knows through a Forum, not PAFOA) have a 'letter' from the BATF stating that it was ok, since it is not a 'vertical' grip (his words).

Do I have something mixed up?

YB
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

Default Re: Forward grip on an AR pistol

my pistol has a removable vert grip, its an AOW. i never heard of a forward grip..

any pics?
    FJB

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    my pistol has a removable vert grip, its an AOW. i never heard of a forward grip..

any pics?
    Maybe I am using the wrong terminology, it had this on the lower rail of the handguard:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CCsQzAMwAA

I thought that, to the BATF, that counted a vertical grip, or a Forward Grip, as this advertisement calls it:

http://www.ecoppolicesupply.biz/serv...-Desert/Detail

And the part of the NFA that I am talking about:

From Wiki:
    Handguns with a forward vertical grip. It is therefore illegal to place an aftermarket foregrip on any pistol without first registering it as an AOW and paying the $200 "making tax" imposed by the Act.

The guy at the range had not paid the tax stamp, he just put in on his AR pistol..........It looked pretty wicked, and if it's within the law, I would do the same.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Lancaster County)

The Magpul angled forward grip has been ruled not a vertical foregrip and is therefore good to go. This has been covered in a lot of places.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(York County)

Thanks for the reply! I can't believe that they are ok with that one , but glad they are!

YB
    Ayn Rand

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    The Magpul angled forward grip has been ruled not a vertical foregrip and is therefore good to go. This has been covered in a lot of places.

Care to share? Until i hear a ruling from the BATFE i'd keep it off my pistols.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    The guy I talked to said that there is a "letter" stating that the BATF is ok with them (sounded like the magpul AFG specifically). Iirc, he said he got this info from one of the bigger AR type of forums. It isn't something I was going to just go ahead and do since a guy at the range knows a guy on an internet forum who knows a guy that saw a letter, but I thought I would ask around at least. If it is kosher, then it would be a pretty nice setup.

YB
    Ayn Rand

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    You have AR pistols? Goodness gracious, you need to start dumping some gear

(Allegheny County)

Nevermind...
    Last edited by bowkillpa; January 1st, 2011 at 07:13 PM.
    <a href=http://www.filehive.com/files/080820/bowkillpa.jpg target=_blank>http://www.filehive.com/files/080820/bowkillpa.jpg</a>

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    Maybe I am using the wrong terminology, it had this on the lower rail of the handguard:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CCsQzAMwAA

I thought that, to the BATF, that counted a vertical grip, or a Forward Grip, as this advertisement calls it:

http://www.ecoppolicesupply.biz/serv...-Desert/Detail

And the part of the NFA that I am talking about:

From Wiki:
    Handguns with a forward vertical grip. It is therefore illegal to place an aftermarket foregrip on any pistol without first registering it as an AOW and paying the $200 "making tax" imposed by the Act.

The guy at the range had not paid the tax stamp, he just put in on his AR pistol..........It looked pretty wicked, and if it's within the law, I would do the same.
    I would view that as an angled or modified "Handguard". Not really a "grip" since you don't grasp the entire thing all the way around like you would an actual grip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast