Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Farmer's Fair Dillsburg

Is anyone planning to carry to Farmer's Fair tonight?

I noticed they have no firearm signs up all over.

Some of you guys are from Dillsburg, if you're heading in tonight maybe we could say hi.

(York County)

Default Re: Farmer's Fair Dillsburg

I'm not going, but those signs don't surprise me. I tried to get a firearm prohibition taken down in Franklin Township, but it looks like they just ignored me because it's still posted in the parks. Many of the local townships in this area have them also. Good luck if you are OC'n. If my wife wasnt working tonight, I'd OC there with you, but I'm stuck with my kids and don't want to expose them to the possiblity of oversealous law enforcement, daddy in a paddy wagon, and child services hauling them off until my wife can get to them.

Take a picture of the signs if you go, I'd like to see who posted them if they are so marked.

(York County)

Bumping this for any Dillsburg residents since the Farmers Fair is fast approaching this year.

I have been researching the 'no firearms' signs from last year, but I' m coming up with nothing as to who posted them. If any residents of the area might know if it came from the borough, police, or farmers fair committee, let me know and I'll follow up on it letting the appropriate persons know they are in violation of state law if they do it again this year.

(York County)

I've lived in D'burg for over 25 years, and hardly ever missed FF. I've never OC'd there, but always CC and have never been questioned or even stopped. The closest I've ever come is once when I was getting out of my antique car my vest caught on the edge of the body and very briefly exposed my 1911 (carried OWB). A woman with 2 small kids did a double-take, let out a quick gasp, grabbed her kids and said "let's get out of here". Never heard another thing about it. I don't know what the official take would be so far as OC'ing, but since I don't OC it's never been an issue there for me.

(York County)

The weather is usually chilled by the time the fair comes around that my OC turns to being concealed by a coat. Regardless, I want to confront who is making that rule and set them straight on the legality of their prohibition. I was successful in getting an illegal firearm ordinance dropped in Franklin Township, so I'm just continuing my duty to set these ignorant policy makers straight.

Since you're a D-burg resident, if you find anything about this firearm prohibition, either who did a past one or might be doing a future one, let me know please. I checked the boroughs webpage and researched the ordinances and came up empty. I couldnt find anything on the Farmers Fair committee website either. Does Regional police have jurisdiction over the borough?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post
    The weather is usually chilled by the time the fair comes around that my OC turns to being concealed by a coat. Regardless, I want to confront who is making that rule and set them straight on the legality of their prohibition. I was successful in getting an illegal firearm ordinance dropped in Franklin Township, so I'm just continuing my duty to set these ignorant policy makers straight.

Since you're a D-burg resident, if you find anything about this firearm prohibition, either who did a past one or might be doing a future one, let me know please. I checked the boroughs webpage and researched the ordinances and came up empty. I couldnt find anything on the Farmers Fair committee website either. Does Regional police have jurisdiction over the borough?
    is the farmers fair on private property?

(York County)

Northern York County Regional Police have had juristdiction over Dillsburg for some years now, since the Borough disbanded it's own police force. I am not aware of any prohibition of legally carrying firearms within the Borough, either OC or CC. Since the Farmers Fair takes place on public streets, with the exception of those displays held in the fire hall, I don't believe that any such prohibition would be legal, but then again I'm not a lawyer. If I run into any of the officials of Farmers Fair, or a NYCP officer, I will inquire and post any responses here.

(York County)

Well, if there were signs last year, I sure missed them. I live at the edge of town and carry in the boro all the time. How can they legally post no firearms signs for a fair on a public street??? Doesn't that violate preemption laws? I might have to look into this.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post
    How can they legally post no firearms signs for a fair on a public street??? Doesn't that violate preemption laws?
    They'll do it out of ignorance or willful breaking of the law. Franklin Township had their frearm prohibtion in their parks until I got rid of that a year or two ago. During a supervisors meeting, I was publically mocked by the president of the supervisors board for even thinking of carrying a fiearm in a park, yet, the solicitor agreed with me that the ordinance was violating state law and within a couple months the ban was gone.

The Dillsburg firearm ban during the fair will have no backing in a court of law, but it doesnt stop public officials since there are no real repercusions against violating preemption that I know of. Moreover, if the police are uneducated on preemption, it could make for quite the scene, up to including being detained and/or arrested. Hence it's important we educate our local public officials and nip these illegal ordinances in the bud before a person lawfully carrying a firearm is confronted.

I've asked our Rep Perry for help in these issues, but I was met with silence on them. We need to have a sit down meeting with him as there are still plenty of townships near us that are in his district that are violating this. If any of you in our area see any local preemption violations, let's get together to get rid of them.

I don't know if I'll make it to the fair this year, but if anyone sees those firearm signs from last year, please take a good picture of one for me. The ones I saw last year were located on utility poles on the outskirts of the fair so people about a block or two from downtown would see them.

(York County)

Wonder who was the do-gooder who's responsible for making us all so safe? My wife is currently looking for a sign to take a picture of. Who should I call first?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast