Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default LCTF revoked during traffic stop

A friend of mine got pulled over about two years ago when he pulled out of a parking lot in York City at night with his headlights off.

He was in a borrowed car and did not realize the light were not on as he started down the street (according to what he told me). He was asked if he was drinking and said he had been. They gave him a breathalizer and he blew something like a .09 or .10, just over the legal limit.

I knew he got his drivers license suspended for 6 months, took a class and paid a bunch of fines and lawyers fees.

Only today when I called him to see if he wanted to go to the Capitol with me for the final push on the Castle Doctrine did he mention that he had his LCTF revoked.

He said the York City cop asked him if he had an LCTF, he told him he did and that it was in his wallet. The officer took it and said he would get it back later. Well, surprise surprise, after about 2 years, later has never come.

He did not regularly carry, so I guess he sort of forgot about it with all the other fallout from the DUI.

His question to me was:

1. Does the DUI prevent him from having an LCTF?
    2. If not, how does he go about getting it back or reissued.

I told him I'd ask here since I was not familer with that and did not want to give him bad info.

It seems to me that the officer was out of line revoking it on the spot since he was not yet convicted. Also, York City is not the issuing authority.

My suggestion was to contact the York County Sherrifs Office or his attorney who handled the rest of the DUI case.

Any other insight or suggestions?
    Last edited by Broncitis; October 15th, 2010 at 08:56 PM.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: LCTF revoked during traffic stop

Only the issuing authority can revoke a LTCF, not municipal police. I'd bet money it was never revoked and is just laying in a drawer somewhere. The York Sheriff is known to have done exactly this in other instances.

If he's sure the term of the license isn't over, he should just go request a replacement, as if the other one were lost, and see what he's told. I'd recommend doing this in person, and recording the entire conversation.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

Wow...uh....did he receive a letter of revocation? If not I'm pretty sure the whole thing was illegal!

(York County)

I'll have to ask him more specifics, but I do not believe he heard anymore about it after the traffic stop when the York City cop took it.

I think he assumed the cop was following the law and would "send it though the proper channels" and he'd get it back later when his case was heard.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Broncitis View Post
    He said the York City cop asked him if he had an LCTF, he told him he did and that it was in his wallet. The officer took it and said he would get it back later.
    Curious as to WHY the YCPD would ask if he had a LTCF? Was he carrying at the time? You said he doesn't regularly carry...

Wether or not the this individual's LTCF was illegally revoked. The fact that he was legally drunk and carrying a firearm shows a complete lack of responsibility. It's people like this that make our fight for our rights that much more difficult. When antigunners see this stuff, they don't care wether the guy was an upstanding citizen or not the look at the fact that he broke the law and was armed at the same time.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by vinman View Post
    Wether or not the this individual's LTCF was illegally revoked. The fact that he was legally drunk and carrying a firearm shows a complete lack of responsibility. It's people like this that make our fight for our rights that much more difficult. When antigunners see this stuff, they don't care wether the guy was an upstanding citizen or not the look at the fact that he broke the law and was armed at the same time.
    Where did you read any info that suggested he was carrying at the time? Reading is fundamental.

Hundreds of people carry their LTCF in their wallet, and have it with them at all times. Many of them rarely (if ever) actually carry a firearm.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

i see you found the jump to conclusions mat

(York County)

I think you need to go back and read all I typed closer. Nowhere did it say he was armed. You read something that was not there.

He was not carrying when he got pulled over.

(Lehigh County)

First off, no information was given that he was carrying at the time.

Secondly, police do not have the authority to seize and revoke an LTCF under current law, instead it is the licensee's duty to voluntarily turn in an LTCF after having been given proper notice of a revocation.

Please educate yourself on the law and stop jumping to conclusions.

OP, your friend needs to check in with his issuing authority about getting a replacement for his stolen LTCF.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast