Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default REMINGTON, ANYBODY SEE THIS?

http://www.worldtelevisionnews.net/c...nder-fire.html

i did a search, didnt see anything so i decided to share..
    FJB

(Venango County)

Default Re: REMINGTON, ANYBODY SEE THIS?

Repost.

Don't have the link handy, I think it was a day or two ago though.

I am interested in seeing this report. Don't know what they might conclude on it.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Philadelphia County)

oh ya the deadly unsafe bolt action what a crock of S**T what a liberal biased judgemental junk attempt at journalism get a life, I will place a bet that more people have died from hippo attacks in africa then the model 700 has killed children... whitetail deer on the other hand is a totally different story

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Repost.

Don't have the link handy, I think it was a day or two ago though.

I am interested in seeing this report. Don't know what they might conclude on it.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/national-11/1...es-attack.html

10 characters
    The real answer is 42.

(Butler County)

What is the problem with them? The article doesn't really say.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    What is the problem with them? The article doesn't really say.
    In 1979 after a series of complaints Remington determined that 1% of the 700s produced could be "Tricked" into firing when moving the safety to the fire position, without pulling the trigger. Something about a clearance problem with the linkage.

Their justification for not recalling the 2,000,000 + Remington 700s (at that time) was that many other firearms can be tricked into doing the same thing and that if the muzzle is in a safe direction it doesn't really matter anyway.

Here's the leaked memo.
    Here's a CBS report from 2001.

(Bucks County)

The Leftists won't be happy until they've demonized and destroyed every corporation in America.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Montgomery County)

Quite a few years ago I had this happen on my 700. Due to the conditions I assumed it was my fault, Now after hearing this I have my doubts. When it occurred, I was hunting upstate. It was extremely cold. The high for the day was 15F. When I left the cabin it was -4F. I remember it well. My beard and moustache were frozen solid.

When I called it a day in the late afternoon I headed back up hill to the cabin. When I got to the mowed area I began to unload the gun. I pointed the muzzle to the ground. I pushed the safety to off. It must be in the off position to actuate the bolt. When I did it discharged. I am 100% certain that my trigger finger was not in the trigger guard. It was not the same motion I would have used to move the safety if I was in a firing position. In a firing position the thumb moves in a push forward direction. When I was unloading the gun my thumb is in a horizontal position and the whole hand moves.

When the gun went off I was beyond startled and froze. I did a mental check list of what I did wrong. The only thing I could come up with it that with it being so cold my hands were too numb to feel exactly where they were and I must have accidently "pulled" the trigger with my pinky finger.

Now I am concerned that my rifle is one of the "trick" ones. I keep my firearms in very servicable conditions. They exhibit normal field wear but are properly cleaned and lubricated.

I need to find out what the remediation is and how to get the gun evaluated and fixed.

I really like this rifle and intend to keep it and hand it down. Needless to say I want to hand down a safe rifle. If Remington's risk analysis concluded that 1% is a broadly acceptable risk I am very disappointed in them.

(Somerset County)

I'm sure the TV show will be a hatchet job. I have seen enough reports similar to what scott125 said to believe there could be problem of some sort.

In fact a buddy of mine had a similar AD when he pushed his safety off. He's not sure about his trigger finger (again, it was cold) and I did find a piece of styrofoam when I took the stock off to look at things. So we're not sure what happened except that he shot a hole in his garage wall.

Dale

(Northumberland County)

many years ago, Rem. had a recall on the mod. 600's. if the trigger was pulled with the saftey in the on position and then pushed to the off position, the rifle would fire. I had a 6 mm that would do exactly that. recall fixes it. mid 60's.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast