Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Forgive my ignorance

Can someone explain Boxer primed and berdan primed and what is corrosive and which are reloadable.
    Last edited by dteed4094; October 15th, 2010 at 08:13 AM.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Forgive my ignorance

Berdan is the type of primer used for mil spec small arms ammunition. Almost all of the surplus ammunition that is available in the bulk ammo suppliers will be Berdan primed.

Compared with Boxer Primers that only have one flash hole, Berdan primed cases commonly have two smaller flash holes. This forces the hot gases generated by the ignition at a much higher pressure and supposedly makes for a faster and more reliable ignition of the powder charge. In my experience, however, Boxer primed ammo is just as reliable, I have never have had a misfire in my reloads using Winchester Boxer primers.

It also has a reputation for being hard to reload but this is mostly because of modern reloading equipment which is almost always engineered to use Boxer primed ammunition cases. After all, in battle, where most Berdan primed ammo was meant to be used anyway, you don't really pick up your brass after shooting the enemy.

Modern pimers that are sold in shooting supplies stores like CCI and Winchester are Boxer type primers.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Berdan is the type of primer used for mil spec small arms ammunition. Almost all of the surplus ammunition that is available in the bulk ammo suppliers will be Berdan primed.

Compared with Boxer Primers that only have one flash hole, Berdan primed cases commonly have two smaller flash holes. This forces the hot gases generated by the ignition at a much higher pressure and supposedly makes for a faster and more reliable ignition of the powder charge. In my experience, however, Boxer primed ammo is just as reliable, I have never have had a misfire in my reloads using Winchester Boxer primers.

It also has a reputation for being hard to reload but this is mostly because of modern reloading equipment which is almost always engineered to use Boxer primed ammunition cases. After all, in battle, where most Berdan primed ammo was meant to be used anyway, you don't really pick up your brass after shooting the enemy.

Modern pimers that are sold in shooting supplies stores like CCI and Winchester are Boxer type primers.
    Well, That ain't EGGZACKTLY so. Connal, I often agree with much of what you post, but here, I gotta differ.

First, most modern United States ammunition, military or commercial is BOXER. Foreign manufacture may be anything.

"BOXER" and "BERDAN" refer to two different styles of primers and priming systems.

BOXER primers are of two-piece construction, that is, they have the anvil as a separate piece already in the cup. The primer-pocket is an empty depression in the case with one hole in the middle of it.

Whereas, BERDAN are of a one-piece construction, just the cup. The anvil is integral to the case, and already a part of the primer pocket.

Cases for BOXER primers have one larger flash-hole in the center of the case, and the BERDAN cases, having the anvil already in the primer pocket, have two smaller flash-holes, one on either side of the anvil. You can usually look down into the fired case and see the difference.

Reloadability of BOXER-primed cases is easy, as the primer-punch is larger diameter (therefore stronger), and centered in the die. The push is directly into the center of the anvil, and depriming is usually a pretty simple and straightforward affair.

BERDAN depriming is usually done with a pick and a hook, piercing the primer cup and pulling it out from outside, which is not altogether the most satisfactory method, often damaging the anvil or the primer-pocket. There is also a "hydraulic" method, involving a messy setup and a lot of work. People DO reload Berdan primed cases, however Berdan primers historically have been virtually unobtainable in common commerce in these united States for many years. There are some hardy souls who have old or foreign guns for which ther is no avaialable supply of loaded ammo that they DO have a supply of Berdan-primed cases, and they will go to the great troublerequired, just to shoot these exotic firearms.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Well, That ain't EGGZACKTLY so. Connal, I often agree with much of what you post, but here, I gotta differ.

Meh, I just googled the info anyways. When it comes to the difference, I know my 30-30 takes box, and my mosin takes berdan.

Thanks for the clarification though. I must have forgotten the quote tag in the post.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Venango County)

Picture. I'm not entirely sure where I got this from, it's been sitting in my "Reloading" folder collecting dust. I think it was Fr. Frog's webpage, which has some decent information. Nothing earth-shattering though. That, and I get a kick out of Kermit the Frog wearing a clerical collar. Clerical as in cleric, not secretary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Erie County)

Thanks for the Info, so am I to assume Boxer primed brass is the only practical brass to reload and you cant use Boxer type Primers in Berdan type Brass.

I have accumulated enough brass to make learning how to reload my next logical undertaking. I did reload some .308s for my father-in-law about 40 years ago. As I remember, the process was simple, the specifics are the art.

(Venango County)

You would be correct. Boxer primed brass is significantly easier/less intensive to reload. The components are easier to obtain. As for Berdan...it can be done, but is it worth it to you? That is the real question.

As for using boxer primers in a Berdan pocket...I wouldn't want to try it.

(Bucks County)

Depending on when they were made, where, and by whom Boxer primers can be corrosive or non-corrosive. Same with Berdan primers.
    )n another note I believe that the US military started to use non-corrosive primers in 1952. The 30M1 cartridge used non-corrosive from the beginnig of its inception.

Jeff
    Last edited by Pukindog; October 15th, 2010 at 06:35 PM.
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Montgomery County)

Just to add to the irony. Boxer was an Englishman whose primers were predominately used in the US, the reverse with Berdan (American with primers used mainly outside of the US). Dave_n

(Blair County)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast