Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Idea

7 46.67%
  • Bad Idea

3 20.00%
  • Ehhhhh, not sure

3 20.00%
  • DeltaII5 Stop LEO bashing the LAPD (ar15jules click here)

2 13.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default LAPD announces Muslim mapping project

Good? Bad?

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 9 (UPI) -- The Los Angeles Police Department announced a mapping program used by its anti-terrorism bureau to identity likely terrorist breeding grounds in Muslim areas.

Michael P. Downing, a deputy Los Angeles police chief, detailed a joint program with the University of Southern California to compile mapping data demarcating Muslim areas deemed "at-risk communities," the Los Angeles Times reported Friday.

"We are looking for communities and enclaves based on risk factors that are likely to become isolated," Downing said.

Civil liberties and Muslim groups decried the project saying it is "nothing short of racial profiling."

"When the starting point for a police investigation is 'let's look at all Muslims,' we are going down a dangerous road," said Peter Bibring, a lawyer with the ACLU of Southern California, in an interview with The New York Times.

Hussam Ayloush, the head of the Council on American-Islamic Relations in Los Angeles, said the project "turns the LAPD officers into religious political analysts, while their role is to fight crime and enforce the laws."

Downing said the Muslim Public Affairs Council accepted the program "in concept."

"We will work with the LAPD and give them input, while at the same time making sure that people's civil liberties are protected," Salam Al-Marayati, the group's director, said in the Los Angeles Times.
    http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_New..._project/7857/

I recall the other thread on profiling, so I figured I'd post this one.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: LAPD announces Muslim mapping project

I slightly agree with the ACLU, in that this is a slippery slope, but the Muslim Public Affairs office seems to have it right. When we are at war with extremist Muslims, the threat is not from 80 year old Jewish Grandmas. We need the Muslim Community's input to weed out the bad apples, and alert the authorities to the true threats. Just like in the early 20th Century, we needed knowledgeable folks to help break up the Irish and later Italian Gangs, and organized crime rings.

(Allegheny County)

The Brits have radical mosques that have turned out actual real honest to gosh terrorists and they won't do squat because they are hamstrung by their PC blissninniness. We will probably wind up doing the same thing. Are we allowed to talk about the "Religion of Peace" here freely?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    The Brits have radical mosques that have turned out actual real honest to gosh terrorists and they won't do squat because they are hamstrung by their PC blissninniness. We will probably wind up doing the same thing. Are we allowed to talk about the "Religion of Peace" here freely?
    Sounds like you've been to ARF.com
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    Good? Bad?
    I imagine it's about as "Good" or "Bad" as Hillary mapping Christians to find likely anti-abortion breeding grounds...
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Montgomery County)

Ohhhhhhhhh boy

I'm getting my popcorn this is probably gonna get good
    Last edited by Roscoe; November 9th, 2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: GOOD

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Ohhhhhhhhh boy

I'm getting my popcorn this is probably gonna get good
    I'll have a little popcorn please, no salt, just a little butter.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    Sounds like you've been to ARF.com
    And happily gone from there - pity because they have a world of good tech stuff but also a couple of PC moonbats who bounce people left and right for even daring to mention the RoP in anything less than glowing terms. Not advocating any violence mind you, simply for advocating keeping an eye on folks whose own religion offers you three choices (convert, pay a dhimmi tax, or die). If only 1% of 1.2 billion people are radicalized (an estimate which many consider to be low) that means there are 12 million people who would like to bump you off simply because you do not share their belief system. No other religion that I am aware of is as intolerant (although Scientology is out there). Anyway, what LAPD is doing sounds like common sense, although politically incorrect.

(Montgomery County)

Unhappy Re: LAPD announces Muslim mapping project

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    And happily gone from there - pity because they have a world of good tech stuff but also a couple of PC moonbats who bounce people left and right for even daring to mention the RoP in anything less than glowing terms. Not advocating any violence mind you, simply for advocating keeping an eye on folks whose own religion offers you three choices (convert, pay a dhimmi tax, or die). If only 1% of 1.2 billion people are radicalized (an estimate which many consider to be low) that means there are 12 million people who would like to bump you off simply because you do not share their belief system. No other religion that I am aware of is as intolerant (although Scientology is out there). Anyway, what LAPD is doing sounds like common sense, although politically incorrect.
    ohh yeah damn good post, where were you buggers when I was getting bombarded by the PAFOA resident al qaeda on the profile thread.........

Exclamation Re: LAPD announces Muslim mapping project

There are many issues that need to be addresed , and the people who suffer the most are the misinformed, This can be done properly and the innocent won't suffer . Just the crumb bums.!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast